Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:49:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

of Montreal

Started by Marvin, February 14, 2007, 01:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marvin

Ooh, this is fascinating so far... really good stuff and the constant changes of pace and style works really well despite how disjointed it is it definitely feels like something that should be listened to as a whole so far.

Pilf

Just got it and going to listen now... will also report back.

Looking forward to it!

Anon

Just finished my first listen...fucking hell, he wasn't kidding about the song-fragments, was he?  There's definetely some amazing ideas on here, and it's gonna take a lot of listens to even start figuring it all out (for the record, I now see why Id Engager's the single - it's the only one that bears any real resemblance to a normal sodding song).  The lyrics as well are just unbelievable - there's at least one flat-out "whaaat?" moment with each track, and it's probably not one to try singing along with.  After the one listen though it's already sounding great, and it'll doubtlessly improve with time - major kudos to you, Mr. Barnes.

Marvin

Yes, after a full listen I have to agree. What an incredibly confusing and fascinating record.

It's just entirely unpredictable, both musically and lyrically as you say, each song seems to contain 2 or 3 entirely different sections and stylistically it's all over the place. A lot of very satisfying funk though.

It's definitely going to be an album that needs some more listens to sink in, An Eluardian Instance stood out as a fantastic song, but in general I can't remember what was what, just lots of great but very different moments.

My first impression is positive, and given some time I can see it being something really impressive.

Vitalstatistix

Wow, this is fucking mental isn't it?

A real OCD collage of different ideas, many of which are just brilliant. On first few listens it can be quite frustrating, especially when they hit on a great bit which immediately changes when you just want some more of the same! But, you have to give Barnes and co credit.

The lyrics are just amazing. Hilarious and intelligent and insightful.

jimmy jazz

Could some kind person link me to its location please? I'm all 'cited now.

jimmy jazz

This is brilliant, really really good. When I heard about his concept for Skeletal Lamping I was worried, but he's done it again. I heard softcore live last year and thought it was going to be a single, but instead he gets bored and throws in another idea. This is a songwriter at the top of his game.

alan nagsworth

Why does this album leak when I'm without a home internet connection for a few weeks? CUNTS.

jimmy jazz

I could just post you a copy if you want, no biggie

alan nagsworth

Hmm yes that would be grande! I don't have any portable storage as I was gonna suggest just uploading it for me, so that's most kind of you. So how does this thing work? Do I PM you a photo of my balls first, or is having my address enough of a bonus for giving away one CD-R?

I kid, I kid. I'll PM you my address now. Thanks again.

actwithoutwords

Gah. Leaked the day after I leave the country for 3 weeks? As if I wasn't excited enough about this record already. This sounds like a very interesting treat indeed to look forward to on my return. Very intriguing that the song fragments things has been borne out, though I shouldn't be surprised I suppose.

EDIT: Ooh. Have gone for a sneaky download-to-hostel-roommate's-laptop-and-transfer-to-ipod-before-she-gets-back manoevre. Hurry up you bastard.

EDIT 2: The perfect crime.

Marvin

I'm leaning towards this being my album of the year already.

Little Hoover

I kind of like it, but it still seems like it's going to take a lot of effort to appreciate, also what on earth is up with some of the lyrics. It's very funny, but kind of embarassing too.

CaledonianGonzo

It's really still too early for me to say, hence I'm a bit reticent to make a judgement one way or the other.  Essentially, I'm a simple soul with a preference for tunes rather than experimentation for the sake of it and I don't think I've devoted enough time to this to see whether it's a schizophrenic triumph or this year's Blueberry Boat.  It's certainly the horniest record I've heard for some time - that Prince influence coming through loud and clear...

An Eluardian Instance is the early highlight, at any rate.

Marvin

Quote from: Little Hoover on August 28, 2008, 03:22:09 PM
I kind of like it, but it still seems like it's going to take a lot of effort to appreciate, also what on earth is up with some of the lyrics. It's very funny, but kind of embarassing too.

It's meant to be though isn't it? The title 'Skeletal Lamping' refers to the method of hunting where you suddenly light up an area with bright lights, causing everything to run out in panic so the hunters can shoot them up. In this case it refers to him applying this to all the dirty skeletons in his closet, done partly through his alter-egos. The lyrics are the dirty, dark stuff that you never normally let out - he's also talked about being bored by how 'nice' and non-sexual indie music is and was inspired by the lyrics of funk and hip-hop.

I really like this quote from Kevin Barnes:

Quote"I am exploring the dark and gloriously detestable sides of my consciousness. A lot of the people I've played the new songs for have been confused. I'm probably going to lose some fans but I don't care. I don't care because, I'm enjoying myself. I don't care because, I'm following the organic path of my muse, or whatever. Most of all I don't care because, the indie rock world is too polite and likable and I feel it needs the drunken uncle to show up, uninvited, to the birthday party and vomit on the couch. Not every year of course, but at least once in a while." -KB/8-31-07

For what it's worth I think he's right when he says it'll lose him fans, it definitely won't be to lots of people's tastes, I sent it to a girl who I'm friends with who adores the last 3 albums and she absolutely hates it.

Little Hoover

Yeah don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a bad thing at all. Thing this is actually the first of Montreal album I've heard, otherwise I think I've only heard the stuff you've played on the radio. Probably a good thing in a way, as it's allowed me to go in with less preconcived ideas of what they should sound like.

Marvin

Quote from: Little Hoover on August 28, 2008, 03:43:06 PM
Yeah don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a bad thing at all. Thing this is actually the first of Montreal album I've heard, otherwise I think I've only heard the stuff you've played on the radio. Probably a good thing in a way, as it's allowed me to go in with less preconcived ideas of what they should sound like.

I'd highly recommend checking out The Sunlandic Twins next, Hissing Fauna, Satanic Panic in the Attic, The Gay Parade, Coquliet in that order, and then get further instructions.

Little Hoover

Thanks I was going to ask, but realised I should probably just search through the thread instead.

Mindbear

I listened to it last week and felt.....flacid. Lyrically it made me baulk a little, I think because I jumped into the album without reading any press about it first and it has made me feel slightly queasy. I like a nice dose of sexuality in a song, but I don't want flat out crass lyrics. After the wonder of 'the past is a grotesque animal', it's hard to take this seriously. I will of course give it another go, but I can't imagine me being inspired by this, apart from the obviously easy I'd Engager.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Mindbear on August 29, 2008, 03:55:08 AMflacid
(sic)

It's one of the least sexy records I've ever heard.

I'm still hesitant about delivering a judgement one way or another on this, but the truth is I'm just not returning to this at all.  Whether the tunes themselves just aren't up to it or the content is failing to tickle my fancy, I don't know, but I've rarely got the urge to revisit it and at the moment my hand is wavering towards a thumbs down.

Poor man's Midnite Vultures.

Vitalstatistix

I haven't found myself returning to this as much as I had predicted either. Not really sure why, maybe it's the harshness of the transitions, maybe the cringeworthyness of some of the lyrics. Maybe it's part of the point, but there's not enough cohesiveness or proper emotion on display here, especially compared to the immensity and brilliance of Hissing Fauna. It's a shame, because there are many great moments, but those moments just don't seem to last long enough.

Maybe I'll give it another go on the 'edphones tonight.

There's a really fun electro-ey remix of id engager here if anyone's interested.

actwithoutwords

Thanks vitalstatistix for saying pretty much exactly what I was going to.
I did listen again earlier today, and there are some really fabulous bits, but I find the album as a whole very difficult to love. Fades a bit towards the end as well I think (Id Engager aside). It's just a great big mess. And as to whether it's a glorious mess, or just an unsatisfying one, I'm still on the fence. But either way, there's nothing as substantial as, say, The Past is a Grotesque Animal anywhere.
That said, if it's the record he felt he had to make, fair enough, and it's a genuinely forward thinking and innovative album, to say nothing for brave. But that just doesn't necessarily make me want to listen to it all that much.

alan nagsworth

Yeah VS you pretty much nailed my sentiments too. I have hardly listened to this record, I find it pretty unenjoyable from the get-go. That first song is a real mess and the transitions are not dignified at all. I've not even listened to it all the way through either, I'm really put off by the first few tracks.

Marvin

I really love it to be honest, and I'm glad that he's taken a new direction - the last 3 albums have been fantastic but up until the last half of Hissing Fauna were ploughing the same terrain and I think it's important not to let things get stale. A lot of people on their own forums who hate the new album are the very same people who used to tell fans of the early stuff to stop moaning about the band progessing, which is amusing at least.

There's some incredibly good tracks on there, and I really admire the ambition of the whole thing, I find it hard to not want to listen to it all the way through when I put on an individual track - but I do currently have a soft spot for Triphallus, to Punctuate!, An Eluardian Instance, Nonpareil of Favor, Womens Studies Victims and And I've Seen a Bloody Shadow - but that is changing regularly to be honest, I think the songs are incredibly strong and the structure is what is putting most people off.

However I really enjoy the messy structure, because in it's 'not-workingness' (for want of a better term) it really works. I'm a huge fan of disjointed music, be it Zappa/Beefheart stuff, screwy jazz etc and although this is a different kettle of fish entirely, it's nice to see a modern indie band taking risks and allowing things to be genuinely challenging for the listener, both musically and lyrically.

Marvin

Incidentally, the release date has been pushed back to the 21st October because of the complex packaging. I want that vinyl and the horse poster.

Marvin

So is anyone else going to the London gig on Thursday?

They've started their tour off in the states with some of the most bizarre performances I've heard of.

There are youtube videos and pictures showing gold buddhas doing dance routines, Kevin dressed as the pope surrounded by sexy nuns, Kevin in Kylie-style gold hot pants and nothing else being driven to suicide by dancers wearing John McCain masks who lead him into a noose for a mock hanging, Kevin on a live horse, dancers with AK-47s, in a western shootout, in an 80s-style gym scene, Kevin covered entirely in shaving foam from head to foot and so on.

I don't know if they'll be able to afford to bring all their props and dancers to Europe with them, but if they can it could be a very interesting show.

Cack Hen

Kevin Barnes mentions the antidepressants

best tag ever

PaulTMA

Quote from: Marvin on October 12, 2008, 02:48:55 PM
So is anyone else going to the London gig on Thursday?

Yes, having given up any hope of them playing Scotland.  I turned up for their listed 2003 gig at West 13th in Glasgow to be told they knew nothing of their booking, which is greatly annoying as it would have been an opportunity to see a radically different band to what we see now - playing in what could only be described as a roofed shoebox.

Marvin

I would like to have had a chance to see of Montreal Model 1 as they now refer to it, they really have changed a great deal since then, although seemingly camp costumes and theatrics has always been his thing.

By all accounts as a band musically they're stronger than on the Hissing Fauna tour having added a live drummer on all of their stuff (2 on some of it) to replace the drum machines. Although from most reports, that's not the most noticable aspect of their current show...

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: PaulTMA on October 15, 2008, 02:27:40 PM
Yes, having given up any hope of them playing Scotland.  I turned up for their listed 2003 gig at West 13th in Glasgow to be told they knew nothing of their booking, which is greatly annoying as it would have been an opportunity to see a radically different band to what we see now - playing in what could only be described as a roofed shoebox.

Listening to My British Tour Diary the next year must only have made matters worse....

"On our trip to England.."

I too have given up hope of them coming up here.  Maybe we'll find out why one day, in the form of a song like 'Little Rock'.