Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:22:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

of Montreal

Started by Marvin, February 14, 2007, 01:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marvin

Well they hardly play anywhere in Europe at all to be fair to them, they generally can't afford it/get bookings.

Brundle-Fly

It really, really evokes the spirit and sonic shenanigans of the whole of Todd Rundgren's canon (esp. A Wizard..., Todd).

I like.

buttgammon

I like it too. I got a copy today and it's very good. It's very hard to take it all in on the first listen but I found it a really good listen, especially Gallery Piece. Very weird in places but that's not a bad thing.

It did take me about half an hour to get the CD back in the case though.

Cack Hen

show last night wasn't very good. i'd be very surprised if anybody else agrees with that as everybody seemed to be having a great time. i'm not one of those types who has trouble getting into shows either, just the other week i was the only one dancing my arse off to islands, much to the annoyance of cunts trying to film it with their phones. but something about it all left me cold, shitty warmup act, cunts in the audience, people dancing like it was a trance club, not good.

but it looked like a lot of fun, which is why i felt weird about it. probably would have made a good DVD, not so much a live show.

Duckula

I'm sort of glad I didn't decide to go.. I was tempted to pull a sicky and catch a flight to London to see them.

London crowds seem to be a mixed bag when it comes to gigs.. Of Montreal also seem to be fixated with only ever playing one fucking UK date on their tours.

NPR are streaming a show from the other week on their site - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=95346520

Cack Hen

well 1. it was koko and 2. it was 16+ which basically means anybody who doesn't look 10 can get in

i was surrounded by cunts who kept high fiving and moshing to the dull as fuck AM tribute band. actually, thinking about it, the problem really was that of montreal make music which you actually dance to, not jump around to and because the place was packed out people were just jumping each time things got a bit louder.

actwithoutwords

I thought last night was excellent I have to say. While there were a fair share of cunts in the crowd, it's not often you hear a London crowd criticised for being overenthusiastic. Much rather that than the passive too-cool-for-school lot that seem so prevalent usually. That said, the reaction to Teen Spirit at the end was a bit childish, initially amusingly so, but that wore off once an actual semi-violent moshpit emerged.

As for the band, I was very impressed at how they are as live performers. The first two-thirds was mostly excellent, though with the Hissing Fauna songs the clear highlights. Things flagged badly towards the end though, as they trotted out the more nondescript of the Skeletal Lamping stuff. The theatrical antics compensated somewhat, but there was no denying the dip in quality of the music.

Overall it was great fun, though it made me kick myself even harder for missing them when they toured Hissing Fauna.

Duckula

I got my Skeletal Lamping 'shirt' version of the album the other day. I must say I loved all the bits of tat that came with it, the best being some kind of strange american chew bar.

Fry

of Montreal are on the 6 Music Hub with that twat George Lamb. If you could stomach him, you might as well catch it on Iplayer.

Do they upload videos or the sessions seperately?

EDIT: It was last week, sorry

PaulTMA

Quote from: Cack Hen on October 17, 2008, 12:28:48 PM
show last night wasn't very good. i'd be very surprised if anybody else agrees with that as everybody seemed to be having a great time. i'm not one of those types who has trouble getting into shows either, just the other week i was the only one dancing my arse off to islands, much to the annoyance of cunts trying to film it with their phones. but something about it all left me cold, shitty warmup act, cunts in the audience, people dancing like it was a trance club, not good.

but it looked like a lot of fun, which is why i felt weird about it. probably would have made a good DVD, not so much a live show.

Oddly enough, these are my exact feelings on the Koko gig.  Despite playing their albums constantly for the last 2 and a half years, I found my mind wandering to depressing places frequently during the performance.  It didn't help that the sound was woeful, not quite as bad as Big Star last month, but reliably disappointing as London gigs tend to be.  Thank god for Darren Hayman the following night.

Marvin

Quote from: actwithoutwords on October 17, 2008, 09:00:40 PM

Overall it was great fun, though it made me kick myself even harder for missing them when they toured Hissing Fauna.

Actually, they sounded 100 times better this year than last year, the live drums made such a difference, the PA was much better and the band were a lot more into it this year. The Hissing Fauna and Sunlandic Twins stuff they played sounded a lot stronger than it did on the last tour.

Anyway, personally I really enjoyed it, as I say they sounded excellent and I'll agree there was a slight lag at one stage but other than that it was both entertaining and sounded great.

Kevin is still a great frontman.

Congratulations Cookd and Bombd you have converted another ... er ... convert.

I'd only heard Wraith Pinned to the Mist prior to tonight but I went on a bit of a binge and this is just great!

CaledonianGonzo

Good news for Caledonian whores - they're finally coming back to Scotland.

26th of January to be precise, at Oran Mor.  Neither the ideal venue nor day of the week for someone coming through from the east coast, but good news all the same.

PaulTMA

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on November 17, 2008, 12:36:43 PM
Good news for Caledonian whores - they're finally coming back to Scotland.

26th of January to be precise, at Oran Mor.  Neither the ideal venue nor day of the week for someone coming through from the east coast, but good news all the same.

Oran Mor is perfect!  What I'd hoped for all along.