Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:57:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Frank Black is dead... set on purchasing a small bungalow in Chiswick [renamed]

Started by trotsky assortment, May 04, 2007, 08:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
...long live Black Francis!

Yes, in case you've not heard yet, the man himself releases another new album very soon.  I figured he was due, since he seems to release one every three months!

Interestingly, it's not a Frank Black album, but is credited to Black Francis.  Early reports suggest less gentle stuff and more emphasis on Pixies-style yelping.

More info here, courtesy of that Wikipedia:

QuoteBluefinger is a forthcoming by Black Francis[1] (AKA Frank Black) album expected to be released in 2007. The project was revealed via several cryptic posts by Frank Black on his official website forum [2], which were confirmed as accurate when the album leaked to file-sharing services early in the year.

All of the songs on the album reference Dutch musician and artist Herman Brood, some directly and some indirectly. In addition, "You Can't Break a Heart and Have It" is a Brood cover.

Tracklisting
"Captain Pasty"
"Threshold Apprehension"
"Test Pilot Blues"
"Lolita"
"Tight Black Rubber"
"Angels Come to Comfort You"
"Your Mouth Into Mine"
"Discotheque 36"
"You Can't Break a Heart and Have It"
"She Took All the Money"
"Bluefinger"

I'm looking forward to it, though I must say, I've found myself really liking his gentler, more mature direction on 'Honeycomb'...

Ciarán2

Bloody hell, you frightened me there! I thought this was an RIP type thread!

Paaaaul

And another one.....

http://www.cookingvinyl.com/press/d/3914-1/Frank+Black+93+-+03+Album+by+Album.doc
is a press release including a big old interview with Frank about his solo stuff between 93 and 03 to plug his new Best Of 93-03 compilation coming out in a few weeks on Cooking Vinyl

QuoteDisc One:
Los Angeles (Frank Black, 1993)
Ten Percenter (Frank Black, 1993)
Czar (Frank Black, 1993)
Old Black Dawning (Frank Black, 1993)
Abstract Plain (Teenager of the Year, 1994)
Calistan (Teenager of the Year, 1994)
Speedy Marie (Teenager of the Year, 1994)
Headache (Teenager of the Year, 1994)
Freedom Rock (Teenager of the Year, 1994)
Men In Black (The Cult of Ray, 1996)
You Ain’t Me (The Cult of Ray, 1996)
I Don’t Want to Hurt You (The Cult of Ray, 1996)
All My Ghosts (Frank Black and The Catholics, 1998)
I Gotta Move (Frank Black and The Catholics, 1998)
Bad Harmony (Pistolero, 1999)
Western Star (Pistolero, 1999)
Robert Onion (Dog In The Sand, 2001)
Hermaphroditos (Dog In The Sand, 2001)
Velvety (Devil’s Workshop, 2002)
California Bound (Black Letter Days, 2002)
Massif Centrale (Show Me Your Tears, 2003)
Manitoba (Show Me Your Tears, 2003)

Disc Two

North American Live Track Listing:
Deadman’s Curve
Raiderman
My Terrible Ways
I’ll Be Blue
Johnny Barleycorn
Ten Percenter
Dog Gone
The Swimmer
Suffering

European Live Track Listing:
Bullet
Nadine
CPL593A
Living On Soul
Burnt Out Rock ‘n’ Roll
Been All Around the World
Six Sixty Six
Horrible Day
(Do What You Want) Gyaneshwar

Japanese Live Track Listing:
Ten Percenter
Deadman’s Curve
My Terrible Ways
I’ll Be Blue
Bullet
Nadine
CPL593A
Living On Soul
Suffering
I Burn Today
I’m Nod Dead (I’m In Pittsburgh)
Sing For Joy

(bluefinger's not actually out til September )

clareQuilty

Jeesus, chalk me up for another scared shitless one. You cunt. I had the great pleasure of meeting him in Norwich (jesus wept) and he was thoroughly nice, despite being famous and cool enough not to be.
Good thing he's not dead.

Sheldon Finklestein

Another person massively relieved he's not actually dead. Maybe you could think of retitling the thread?

Peking O

I was hoping he was dead and am disappointed to find out that he's not. So yes, a thread retitling for people like me is needed as well.

Just kidding. God love you Frank and all who sail in your stupid name changes.

Paaaaul

Just listened to some of Bluefinger - if you're after a Pixies-like album, you're looking in the wrong place.

There's a lot of slow songs and pop songs on it and a couple of louder belters.
I've been going off FB/BF since the last Catholics album, though I did love the Frank Black Francis CD of pre-Purple Session demos from a few years ago.
This album isn't going to halt the decline and I can hear that fairly quickly, there doesn't seem much musical depth in it.

"Threshold Apprehension"

This is the track that grabbed me most on the first play,and it's boring me now on a 3rd play.

Cack Hen

My thoughts upon seeing this thread title-

Nooo...surely not?....he's only in his 40s....but he is very fat, could have had heart complications....still...

All between the time I saw it and clicked it. Relieved.

CaledonianGonzo

Trotters has been doing some heart-rate damage this evening.

Glebe

Fuck, you nearly gave me a heart attack!!

I've got a leaked copy of Bluefinger, and I can tell you, it's fucking amazing! I've been listening to it over and over. He hasn't announced any Irish dates so far, but I hope he does pop over.

klaatu!

Fuuuuuuuuck! Change the thread title!

Waking Life

Fuck, scared me too, but again I thought the too-young-but-possible-fat-related-heart-attack angle.

Sorry.  Was in a cheeky-goblin like mood last night.  Thread title duly changed.

EDIT:  Actually no.  It won't let me.  Apologies for any other Pixies fans I almost killed last night!

Quote from: "Paaaaul"And another one.....

http://www.cookingvinyl.com/press/d/3914-1/Frank+Black+93+-+03+Album+by+Album.doc
is a press release including a big old interview with Frank about his solo stuff between 93 and 03 to plug his new Best Of 93-03 compilation coming out in a few weeks on Cooking Vinyl

Looking at the tracklisting you've posted Paaaaul, does that mean if I want everything, I have to track down three versions of the album?!  Those record company fuckers.

butnut

Trotters, imagine how bad you'll feel after this, if he does actually die in the next few days!

He better not, the aul' bugger.  I'm still hopeful that one day I might get to a Pixies show.  I've seen FB and the Catholics and The Breeders, but it's not the same.

Quote from: "Cack Hen"My thoughts upon seeing this thread title-

Nooo...surely not?....he's only in his 40s....but he is very fat, could have had heart complications....still...

All between the time I saw it and clicked it. Relieved.

I was thinking the same thing, saw him last year and thought he was a bit fat, but still.  And breathe...

Can someone change the thread title on my behalf please?  It won't let me. Ta.

Y'know, something run of the mill like 'New Frank Black Album'.  Or if current reports are anything to go by 'The New Frank Black Album Is Decidedly Run Of The Mill'.

I wish Pixies would put something new out, but then part of me wonders if that would piss on their legacy.

Marvin

Apologies for bumping this disturbingly-titled thread.

Threshold Apprehension has grown on me so much since it was put up here, it's one of my favourite of his songs for years to be honest, as good as a lot of stuff on Teenager of the Year. It's interesting how Kim Deal-esque the backing vocals are, almost makes me wonder if this was originally written for the Pixies before they decided against recording more new material.

Muel 2

Quote from: Marvin on June 04, 2007, 07:34:38 PM
they decided against recording more new material.

Did they? Ah well, probably for the best.  Roll on the new Breeders album. I was told she was about halfway through with it about four years ago!

Marvin

Quote from: Muel 2 on June 04, 2007, 07:36:29 PM
Did they? Ah well, probably for the best.  Roll on the new Breeders album. I was told she was about halfway through with it about four years ago!

Well I don't know, that's why I was wondering really. They did Kim's single Bam Thwok, which I thought was ace actually, and then repeatedly said they were thinking about an album. At one stage Black said he'd written a load of songs to work on for it, then it all went quiet, and suddenly we get a new solo album but under the name 'Black Francis' which makes me think the Pixies stuff may have been abandoned. Thereshold Apprehension does sound like it could easily have had Kim doing the backing vocals. I'd welcome new Pixies material, I don't see why it couldn't work, Bam Thwok was great, Black can still write great songs and they still have a huge amount of power as a live band.

A new Breeders album is long overdue definitely.

Harry Coal

I'd be angry if I wasn't so relieved.

samadriel

...DEAD serious about going to Itchy & Scratchy Land!

Quote from: Muel 2 on June 04, 2007, 07:36:29 PM
Did they? Ah well, probably for the best. 

Their contribution to 'Enjoy Every Sandwich: The Songs Of Warren Zevon' was newly recorded during their re-union though, wasn't it?  The vocals don't sound quite right to be old Pixies.

Glebe

I can't stop listening to the leaked version of Bluefinger. It's fukcing great!

Oh, and could somebody change the thread title?

Everytime I see the title of this thread, my blood runs cold.

Revisiting this thread reminds me:  Is that aforementioned best of thingy out yet?

Glebe

It's out on the 18th of this month (June).

Pixies covers band Doolittle are playing Kilkenny this Sat (9th June), for anyone that's interested:

Kilkenny Advertiser.