Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:59:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Worst cover evarrr

Started by gazzyk1ns, June 22, 2007, 12:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marv Orange

That vid of Chris Cornell covering that clash song in the youtube thread was fucking horrendous.

chand

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 23, 2007, 12:03:32 PMAnd "My Humps" isn't intentionally silly in the slightest, as the rest of Fergie's (and the BEPs') career has proved.

Of course if fucking is! Do you think that at no point in the process did any of the four members of the Black Eyed Peas think 'hang on, maybe these lyrics look a little retarded written down'? Do you think they were sat there patting themselves on the back thinking they written something deeply profound and moving? It's just intended to be a silly, catchphrase-inducing, body-obsessed pop song. When BEP are serious they write shit like 'Where Is The Love?'; that is full-on earnestness and all the more horrible for it. There's no way BEP don't know what they're doing when they write stupid lyrics like the ones in 'My Humps'. That's not a defence of the Black Eyed Peas exactly, in many ways I think deliberately writing stupid lyrics is worse than trying to write something clever and failing; BEP have become a deeply cynical group. The fact that Fergie and BEP continue to write similar shit proves nothing other than that they're one-trick ponies who've recognised the dollar-generating power of basic tunes coupled with playground lyrics.

QuoteThe whole point of Alanis Morrisette's cover of it...was that it did have those words in it, so saying it would have sucked had it not had those lyrics is entirely meaningless.

I know, what I'm saying is that it's not enough. For me, a cover has to sound interesting as a piece of music in and of itself. It's no good just switching a song to a different genre to get a smug grin of recognition; that wears off after about 30 seconds, and at that point I want to hear something in the music that sounds good. The Morissette cover is like 'Okay, you've slowed it down and played it on a piano, and yes the lyrics sound stupid in this version, what else have you got? Give me a reason to keep listening for another four minutes'. The ethos behind it isn't strong enough to sustain it; everyone on the planet knows that the lyrics to 'My Humps' are stupid, no-one needed it pointing out in a smug dirge of a cover more than a year late. A good cover would have changed it into a song that you'd actually want to listen to. A good cover for me is one that would sound brilliant even if you didn't know it's a cover; in this case the only way to enjoy it is if you've a) already heard the original, b) dislike the original and c) feel it needs to be highlighted that the lyrics to the original are a bit silly and repetitive.

I want a cover that's genuinely trying to create a good piece of music from its source material, not one whose sole intention is to sneer with no regard for, y'know, being any good.

Backstage With Slowdive

There are some American compilations of Smiths covers, some of which feature godawful grunge and punk bands having a go purely for the appearance fee. However, quite the worst Smiths cover is the one of Shoplifters by the "emo" band thisGIRL, who don't have the defence that they dislike the original yet they nevertheless massacre, particularly the line about "Channel 4" which the singer plainly doesn't understand.

drberbatov

Arcade Fire's cover of Guns of Brixton is pretty dire

explodingvinyl

Quote from: sproggy on June 23, 2007, 12:14:18 AM
I feel like doing a waspy when I have the unfortunate experience of hearing Gwen Stefani's version of Talk Talk's 'It's my Life'.  Fortunately it's a rare and accidental occurance.

But still truly horrible.
Don't touch Talk Talk unless you're oging to do it properly.

Quote from: The Mumbler on June 22, 2007, 10:10:30 AM
]
7) "Talk" by Coldplay [how to do a cover of Kraftwerk's Computer Love but do new lyrics and somehow fool the world into thinking it's an original piece of music. Kraftwerk receive 15% of the royalties, which is an outrage.]

YES!!! YES!!! Thank you. I agree.

Catalogue Trousers

Joe Cocker doing With A Little Help From My Friends. Eurgh.

Britney Spears doing I Love Rock 'N' Roll. Eurgh also. A reviewer on the pompous-but-occasionally-bang-on film site Jabootu commented thus:

QuoteWhen Jett sings lasciviously of a guy being seventeen, you picture her drinking him under the table, ravishing him spectacularly, and affably abandoning her unconscious toy as dawn breaks, leaving him battered, disheveled, hung over and grinning like a loon. Spears sounds more like a young girl trying to be naughty. Given what we see here, I'd say Spears should forgo classic Rock Anthems in the future.

The Mumbler

Travis's version of "Hit Me Baby One More Time". Which in terms of 'Yeah, we get it', is rather like if Ride had covered "I'd Rather Jack".

Even less funny: Fine Young Cannibals' workaday cabaret-style trudge through Buzzcocks' "Ever Fallen in Love". A horrible closing blot on their "Raw and the Cooked" LP, which was otherwise pretty ace. 

Godzilla Bankrolls

There's a really bad version of Ever Fallen... in Shrek 2 - worse than the FYC one. It's all earnest and American and gravelly and in Shrek 2.

chand

Quote from: The Mumbler on June 24, 2007, 08:43:23 PMEven less funny: Fine Young Cannibals' workaday cabaret-style trudge through Buzzcocks' "Ever Fallen in Love". A horrible closing blot on their "Raw and the Cooked" LP, which was otherwise pretty ace. 

That one really is horrible, I only ever heard it once, while I was waiting for a pizza, and I remember listening with a mixture of horror and really wanting to find out who it was.

Quote from: chand on June 24, 2007, 09:35:25 PM
That one really is horrible, I only ever heard it once, while I was waiting for a pizza, and I remember listening with a mixture of horror and really wanting to find out who it was.

Really?!  Roland Gift's voice is fairly distinctive isn't it?

Jamie Cullum should be serving a long prison sentence for his cover of Ms Jackson.  Absolutely awful.  I saw the Bluetones cover 2pac's California Love.  God knows what they were thinking.

non capisco

Quote from: aaaaaaaaaargh! on June 24, 2007, 10:06:01 PM
  I saw the Bluetones cover 2pac's California Love.  God knows what they were thinking.

Speaking as a Bluetones fan, I'm pretty sure they'd have been mucking about with that one for a quick mid-show giggle. The Vines made their horrible, dirgey Outkast cover an earnest cornerstone of their live set.

I forgot all about that Travis Britney cover. Didn't Fran Healy say at the time something like "it's a brilliant song and now there's a version of it that our fans can enjoy"? If it's a brilliant song surely they can enjoy it to start off with, you smug fanny.

SOTS

There's a song with a rather large sample of Breakfast In America (it's almost a cover) going around at the moment that's a bit shit.

Mainly because I had no idea about it and did a bit of a double take when I heard some girls walking along the schools corridors singing "take a look at my girlfriend..." and I wondered why the hell they were singing a Supertramp track!

It's starting to ruin the song for me a bit as well. Not only is there terrible rapping as verses but it's rapping of some very bad lyrics indeed.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiiU-Fky18s[/youtube]
This is the 15th most watched video on the whole of YouTube.

Hank_Kingsley

Almost every gothic-industrial cover version of any song ever, except by the Revolting Cocks, is awful.

See 'I'm Your Boogieman' by White Zombie. A brilliant pop song turned into cack. I have to defend the FYC version of 'ever fallen in love', I think it's quite nice & actually adds something to the song. I also find All Saints cover of 'under the bridge' to be great, mainly because of the venom it inspires in Red Hot Chili Pepper fans & that arouses me, namely because RHCP are fucktards.

boki

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on June 24, 2007, 04:23:53 PM
Joe Cocker doing With A Little Help From My Friends. Eurgh.

Britney Spears doing I Love Rock 'N' Roll. Eurgh also. A reviewer on the pompous-but-occasionally-bang-on film site Jabootu commented thus:
QuoteWhen Jett sings lasciviously of a guy being seventeen, you picture her drinking him under the table, ravishing him spectacularly, and affably abandoning her unconscious toy as dawn breaks, leaving him battered, disheveled, hung over and grinning like a loon. Spears sounds more like a young girl trying to be naughty. Given what we see here, I'd say Spears should forgo classic Rock Anthems in the future.

Whilst I agree with the gist of that, it falls a bit flat when you know that Joan Jett is in the gays.  Jabootu Dude wants to have a go at some of that research stuff.

thugler

Rush doing 'summertime blues'. Atrocious. And I like Rush.

chand

I just saw on TV that some useless dance cunts are pointlessly covering DJ Sammy's cover of Bryan Adams' 'Heaven'. Which is the third time that's been done in the last few years, since after DJ Sammy's cover there was a shit piano rendition of it floating about. Why would anyone need a new dance version that's pretty much indistinguishable from the DJ Sammy one that was FUCKING EVERYWHERE?

buttgammon

Basically, it's a crap cover of a crap cover of a crap cover of a crap song. Whoever keeps covering that annoying cover of Heaven should be shot!

Sadness

This is by FAR the worst cover of '10538 Overture' by 'E.L.O' I've ever heard.....

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdCnf1jmJ_g[/youtube]

The Mumbler

Is Westlife too easy a target? I'd have said yes, but my ears were assaulted recently with their cover version of Air Supply's All out of Love, most of which seemingly consisted of the "lads" passing tugboats through their urethras. Horrible song in the first place, but I was left thinking "That's not even a billionth as good as the original", which gives you some idea of the level we're at. Although the Supply's reading works in the Happiness film.

TJ

The Divine Comedy's pissweak amble through Party Fears Two. It's just hideous.

Godzilla Bankrolls

I quite like The White Stripes, but their version of Beefheart's Ashtray Heart is as pointless and embarrassing as writing Billy Childish on your arm and then going on TOTP. It's already a punk song, but it just doesn't work without that great shuffling drumbeat or the bass stabs. It ends up as someone farting over a metronome.

fanny splendid

Quote from: TJ on June 26, 2007, 10:47:13 AM
The Divine Comedy's pissweak amble through Party Fears Two. It's just hideous.

Heh, similar to their version of Mr. Blue Sky.

Toad in the Hole

Quote from: Sadness on June 26, 2007, 01:46:33 AM
This is by FAR the worst cover of '10538 Overture' by 'E.L.O' I've ever heard.....

Is that a particularly competitive category?

quadraspazzed

Quote from: mister_enmity on June 22, 2007, 11:28:47 PM
The cunts should be crucified for this.

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=fTRy19vJrJg[/youtube]

Good Lord! Enough to make Curtis rise from the dead and kill himself all over again.

PS: I hate you now!

Pepotamo1985

Phil Collins doing Tomorrow Never Knows is dire. I'll upload later.

boki

Quote from: fanny splendid on June 26, 2007, 10:56:32 AM
Heh, similar to their version of Mr. Blue Sky.

I doubt anything could be more annoying than the original!

Jemble Fred

Sadness

Quote from: Toad in the Hole on June 26, 2007, 11:46:55 AM
Is that a particularly competitive category?

Def Leppard just did a semi-decent version of it and American P.Hux did an excellent acoustic cover of it......but you're probably right. Unlike BOKI who's just dilluded I'm afraid.

Ah, the weak ones. I fear for them.....

Has anyone mentioned that Candyflip cunt yet?

EddyWhore

Take That used to cover Smells Like Teen Spirit at their live shows. . . they even learnt how to play it so they could have instruments.

I was subjected to it by a girlfriend when I was 14.  I've never been able to wash away the bile stains.

EddyWhore

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bzBjatkVtzY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bzBjatkVtzY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>[/youtube] and here it is