Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:06:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Worst cover evarrr

Started by gazzyk1ns, June 22, 2007, 12:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Chrwa

You lot have listed some of the worst - and now youve got me started

Can anyone remember El Mundo De Pasa - or some shit which was aload of songs done in CUBAN STYLE -the advert alone made me vomit black bile. Fucking SHIT music sold on the fact its for charity.

That girls aloud/sugar babes - fucking walk this way - rediculous.
GREEN DAY -Dont cover lennon - just dont - it sounds alright but dont be a dick - Working class hero is good by lennon.

Can anyone remember when that fucking twat Rod stewart was entered into the hall of fame - i think it was Jamie T - covered "rod stewarts first cut is the deapest" - which made me laugh my tits off as its a CAT STEVENs song who is infact good - unlike that pretend scotish twat Rod stewart - hes awful and all his covers are all shit. Another twat like williams

She's the one - people seem to think that fucktard robbie williams wrote it - did he fuck

If i hear another verion of Tainted love - im gonna kill someone

Phill collins is the fucking anti christ - he diserve to be shot if dare to cover Tomorow Never Knows. When the almighty Led Zeppelin reformed for fredy mercury tribute - its reported that 1. they had to get a second drummer as hes shit 2. hes a twat who only cared about where the camera was facing. I saw him on a buddy rich tribute CD - hes a fucking media whore - and a shit drummer - how the fuck can "feel it in the air tonight" be radio 1's best drum roll solo - twats

Anyone ever seen charmed - the cover of how soon is now- it makes me chuck up my own kidneys.

I love stevie wonder but his cover of a beatles song is awful " we can work it out" and why would the guy alow blue to cover signed sealed and deliver - then put it in his definative collection

The worst and most shocking things i have see are:-

Robbie "i want him to die" Williams - i saw him at V98 - i was wreked - but it didnt make him any better- he did his gay version (suposedly punk) version o f i want you back - which was shit. The La's theres she goes - which was even shitter - and to cap the stinking pile of turd with a cover of (not all the song) but the end of "hey Jude" - na na na na na - for about 20mins - before that point i didnt want the man to die - but from then on i did.

Mel C - covering Pretty Vacant -rediculous

What really really annoys me - is people covering songs and not either adding to them or making them there own. Whats the point. Try and write a few good songs - or just rip off some old ones.

im sure ill think of some more

PS.  I know this is cheeky - but check out my band - youll probably slate it!lol we sound a bit like Joy Division www.myspace.com/cavehandthe69s

The Mumbler

Quote from: Lord Chrwa on June 27, 2007, 11:35:41 AM
why would the guy alow blue to cover signed sealed and deliver - then put it in his definative collection

Oh God yes - I have that greatest hits as it's a good mopping up collection for odd singles, but that is a travesty. I can only presume that Motown told him that the Temptations had reformed for the occasion. Equally lord knows what Angie Stone's doing there.

What's the ancestor of that pseudo-gospel growling vocalising that everyone has to do on X-Factor, no matter what the song is? Covers all sound like Blue's version of Signed Sealed Delivered, a horrible repellent I'm-so-soulless-I-probably-enjoyed-the-songs-in-Sister-Act version of soul. I think I blame Marti Pellow. For everything.

Jemble Fred

Stevie Wonder's 'We Can Work It Out' is not only the best Beatles cover ever recorded (and I should fucking know, the amount of shite I've forced myself to listen to for love of the band), it's the best cover of any song by any artist ever recorded. Anyone who doesn't instantly dance the second it starts deserves to have their fucking legs removed.

Why I Hate Tables

Quotegay version version o f

Speaking of that, not sure if it counts but the horrendous recent mangling of Smalltown Boy really gets on my nerves (seeing as I identify with the original, boo hoo, etc.), and all that Mark Ronson mangling hits a nerve making me want to strangle any small child who walks past. More than usual. The ideas' admirable, and I'd like to mention here what should be awful but isn't, and that's cover versions which are a complete rehawl.

Nick Caves' Kicking Against The Pricks stuff is pure brilliance, as are those dub versions of Dark Side Of The Moon and OK Computer. However, deliberate "ooh, look at us" covers really drive me insane. One example being the hideous mawling of The Hounds Of Love by The Futureheads, or any of the Richard Cheese ilk of comedy covers.

David Bowie's versions of anything are usually terrible too. Pablo Picasso, I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday, China Girl....all manglings of originally reputable songs. Stick to your own material, mate, with the exception of Wild Is The Wind which is a very moving musical moment.

I personally thought anytime New Order played a Joy Division song they should either 1)let Hooky who sounds more like Curtis sing it instead of Sumner ruining it with his fey whisperings (appropriate and ace on New Order material, not right for the gravitas of Atmosphere. Did they ever do Decades as New Order? If so, heads at dawn). Or 2) Not bother, focussing on their very little known songs such as Thieves Like Us, Elegia, The Perfect Kiss, Fine Time, Dreams Never End, Your Silent Face, True Faith, Regret, Run, Temptation and that pinnacle of obscurity Blue Monday.

I'll get my sanity now.

PS. I love the song Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen, however overplayed it is now, but am I alone in finding Jeff Buckley and Rufus Wainwright's versions irritating compared to the original's strangely moving synth glow and John Cale's heartbreaking version with strings?

Also Nick Cave's version of I'm Your Man proves the man is a God.

chocky909

Quote from: Jemble Fred on June 27, 2007, 01:17:31 PM
Stevie Wonder's 'We Can Work It Out' is not only the best Beatles cover ever recorded (and I should fucking know, the amount of shite I've forced myself to listen to for love of the band), it's the best cover of any song by any artist ever recorded. Anyone who doesn't instantly dance the second it starts deserves to have their fucking legs removed.

What did you think of the 'Suggs' version of 'I'm only sleeping'?

Jemble Fred

Far more difficult to dance to.

buttgammon

Quote from: Why I Hate Tables on June 27, 2007, 11:04:50 PM

David Bowie's versions of anything are usually terrible too. Pablo Picasso, I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday, China Girl....all manglings of originally reputable songs. Stick to your own material, mate, with the exception of Wild Is The Wind which is a very moving musical moment.

Even as a bit of a Bowie fan I'm with you - even down to thinking his version of Wild Is The Wind is remarkable but, unfortunately just about the only decent cover he's ever done. What especially annoys me about his butchering of China Girl is the fact that he wrote the original with Iggy Pop and produced it and did a bloody good job of it. He should have left it alone.

Lord Chrwa

You definately can dance to stevie's "we can work it out" especially as he shout "hey"  -  tho perhaps for me its weeker than his own fantastic material

I agree with New Order coment - ive heard them play quite a few Joy Division songs - they dont seem to pull it off at all

I always thought best beatles cover was generally thought of as "with a little help with my friends" Joe Cocker

or is that because "the wonder years" corrupted me as a youth?

Jemble Fred

Hoho, thanks for that. Never occurred to me before how perfectly those lyrics suit a typical miseryguts goth/rock band.

Heaven 17's 'Temptation' by Cradle of Filth.

[youtube=425,350]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xbGEFUtPsTE[/youtube]

ziggy starbucks

ah yes, bowie's covers

Perhaps one of the worst things my ears have ever heard is bowie's alabama song, which couldn't be made any worse by bowie if he tried. Its just the terrible grating of the awful vocals and the music which to me always conjures up the image of a old dying horse sinking in mud during the first world war. Its worse than anything bowie has ever done before or since and I'd rather listen to all the tin machine recordings including the live album, which is terrible.

other terrible covers include the horrific album wecker of the stones 'lets spend the night together' on aladdin sane (which I just program out rather than bare listen to) and the car crash 'across the universe' on young americans. Across the universe is one of my favourite songs when its done by the beatles, especially that no-orchestra version with the birds tweating, but it is pummeled to death by bowie, who again thinks that grating vocals and detuned-keyboard clod-hopping dying-horse music is enough to do justice to the great band.

explodingvinyl

Dear Christ. Why are Cradle of Filth? I mean why are they?

Ciarán

Definitely the worst cover I've ever heard is Guns N Roses' "Knocking On Heaven's Door". They should have been chased out of town with dogs for that one. Also Axl Rose = worst singer in the world.

On the subject of CoF's cover versions...

[youtube=425,350]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iVyxK4PFfYA[/youtube]

Ciarán

If any one of you happens to have a copy of it, please post The Flying Pickets' cover of "Smells Like Teen Spirit". It's hil-arious! No, really, it is.

boki

Fock, I've just heard 30 seconds of the Nouvelle Vague version of 'Blue Monday' and it's excruciating.

non capisco

Quote from: Ciarán on July 09, 2007, 10:02:24 PM
If any one of you happens to have a copy of it, please post The Flying Pickets' cover of "Smells Like Teen Spirit". It's hil-arious! No, really, it is.

It's the g-dang g-dangs that make it.

uncle_rico

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQGyTKoByWc&mode=related&search=[/youtube]

WHY?!?! I mean, I know its from a film, but...WHY?!?!

GratefulApe

I know The Mumbler mentioned this earlier, but it was worth the aural sadomasochism just to remind me what a perfect specimen of concentrated evil this song actually is:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcokdvY0bFw[/youtube]

Take a pleasantly absurd synthy disco number and mangle it to ribbons by the hopeless Jessica Simpson:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V622A9jVriA[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6ZguWnVWpA[/youtube]

Marilyn Manson was busy presumably.

Famous Mortimer

That last one is so bad it kinda goes beyond bad into some weird new place.

It appears the Flying Pickets have made a bit of a career out of cover versions, their one of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is a bit silly but Youtube reveals a plethora of gems. But it's not really the originals, all of them having left by 1990, so it's no fun taking the piss out of them.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 03, 2007, 09:10:50 AM
the Flying Pickets................... But it's not really the originals, all of them having left by 1990, so it's no fun taking the piss out of them.

Are the New Flying Pickets as pig ugly as the originals though?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Gulftastic on August 04, 2007, 11:07:03 AM
Are the New Flying Pickets as pig ugly as the originals though?
Judging by the one Youtube video I saw, they're kinda pretty boys these days :(

Fry

TC Raymond

I saw Jim Davidson singing Harry Chapin's WOLD on some shit BBC1 show a couple of years back. Gave me nightmares.

Cack Hen

You are gonna have to brace yourself for this one...

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=9EOc71bXg_w[/youtube]

(I'm really, really sorry, Tony Wilson)

chand

Heh, that starts off okay (though I'm not sure what the point is of covering 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' on one guitar and having to leave out the big fucking hook) until he totally 'emoverloads' the chorus.

"Hey, you know what I think 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' needs? Some fuckin' emotion, dude! That Ian Curtis always sounded kinda bored, man..."