Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,331
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:44:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sunday at Devil Dirt. New Isobel Cambell and Mark Lanegan album.

Started by Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth, May 03, 2008, 12:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I knew they'd collaborated on another album a few years ago, but for some reason I never bothered checking it out. I'm not massively familiar with either of them, apart from Lanegan's work with Queens of the Stone Age, which is ace. Anyway, I read an article about their new album in the Independent today and now I want to listen to both albums.

Not a lot to add to that really at this point, but I'm interested to see what other people have to say about them.

simondykes

The first album,'Ballad Of The Broken Seas' I really liked,but I'm failing to warm to the new one,despite Isobel looking especially foxy in the press shots.
Neither of them are as good as Nancy & Lee,obviously....

I'm not massively fond of Isobel Campbell (and as a general rule, I hate Belle & Sebastian), but Mark Lanegan is great.  If you can, check out his solo albums 'The Winding Sheet' and 'I'll Take Care of You' (although, all of his solo albums have their high points) and the last couple of Screaming Trees releases, 'Sweet Oblivion' and 'Dust'.

I've not heard his recent collaboration with Greg Dulli yet.

Quote from: trotsky assortment on May 04, 2008, 02:10:21 PM
I've not heard his recent collaboration with Greg Dulli yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTsrzJUViGs

Dave likes it! The record, of this song, is a little disapointing. Just kind of weedy in comparison and even the harmonies seem a little out or badly levelled. That's great though, huh.

I received this in the post today and have just sat down to listen. I don't know about Nancy and Lee, but it's very Leonard Cohen-esque so far.

It's been out nearly a week and I've not heard any of it yet.  How does it compare with their previous album/Lanegan's quieter stuff?

Famous Mortimer

His stuff with Greg Dulli is awesome. Scott Ford, the bassist for the Gutter Twins, has his own internet radio show and a forum where bootlegs are freely traded, presumably with the consent of the band (as he's in them). The gig from Manchester that I was at was really really good.

Marvin

I love this album and the other one with Isobel Campbell, and have to agree with Mortimer, if you haven't heard The Gutter Twins you really must.

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on May 05, 2008, 02:04:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTsrzJUViGs
That is reet good. I've just ordered the album on the back of hearing that, although the recording being a bit wet is kind of a downer.

trench

As much as I like the work Lanegan has produced with Campbell, it's probably the stuff that I like least. I really loved their first collaboration, but at the time it was released there hadn't been any Lanegan releases for a while, so it was a joy to hear some new material. Since "Ballad of the Broken Seas" though, there's been quite a bit of Lanegan to be geeting on with.  A tour and e.p with The Twilight Singers, the fantastic Soulsavers album from last year, and of course the utterly sublime Gutter Twins album. On the back of these releases "Sunday at Devil Dirt" (and "Ballad...) just seem a little weak.

There are songs on "Sunday..." which are absolutely fantastic, off the top of my head "Who Built The Road?" which is the lead single, and "Come On Over (Turn Me On). But that song "The Raven" must be the worst thing Lanegan's ever laid a vocal to. Still, I'm happily listening to it all and it certainly grows on me with each listen, unfortunately it just makes me want to listen to The Gutter Twins!

Which reminds me : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlSqnOaE9lQ

The official video for "All Misery / Flowers", a cracking track indeed. Also,"Idle Hands" on Jools Holland :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxrlOfHkl34

and :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUMCFqx62Dk&feature=related

"God's Children", also from Jools Holland. "God's Children starts a little shaky, but really picks up from the first chorus.

Famous Mortimer

http://sharebee.com/689dac88

The track from above, "All Misery", live from their show in Manchester a month or so ago.

Gamma Ray

Lanegan is on the new Bomb The Bass album - the track (Black River) is up over at MySpace. Sounds like Kruder and Dorfmeister to me, not a bad thing ...

By the way, I hope that Campbell does let him pork her. Then I can move in on his wife, seen dancing here:

trench

Just a heads up for anyone interested, Isobel and Mark will be performing "Keep Me In Mind, Sweetheart" on the Culture Show Uncut next week, 13th of June. Not sure if they're appearing on the standard show.

I just got the Gutter Twins album delivered (only a month after ordering it, too. Way to go, Amazon). The first thing I did was skip straight to Idle Hands, and Smelderima was not wrong about it. You'd think that the versions linked above were the actual recording and the one on the album was a dodgy live cut. It's a shame, although it bodes well for the upcoming UK tour, which I think I'll get me a ticket for.

Just a quick bump to say that 'Sunday at Devil Dirt' is re-issued next month.  The new issue comes with a bonus live disc.

trench

Also, "Keep Me In Mind, Sweetheart" is released as an e.p in November, with 5 new tracks recorded during the "... Devil Dirt" sessions.