Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:19:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oasis - Is anyone still listening?

Started by boxofslice, August 26, 2008, 05:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

Album's up streaming on their myspace today: http://www.myspace.com/oasis

I rather like the first track.

Beagle 2

Honestly though, this I'm Outta Time Liam guff is absolute shite, do they have to ape 70's Lennon so utterly down to the nth degree...

Jemble Fred

Sigh. I have such vivid memories of buying Oasis albums – aforementioned in this thread was my snowy introduction to WTS(MG), and the excitement of Be Here Now coming out, just as I left home and went to uni, is never to be forgotten. Then Standing On The Shoulders of Giants coming out just as I was leaving uni, and songs like 'Sunday Morning Call' going round my head... it was always such a momentous thing.

This time? Downloaded it a couple of weeks ago, gave it a couple of listens, deleted it.

Is it me? Perhaps it's just me.

Neville Chamberlain

Anyone read this? It's a glowing review of Oasis' latest album written by, er, Alan McGee:

vomit

thugler

Still pretty dull, but better than the last album. It just sounds better produced and a little less chuggy and drony in the guitar playing.

The songs seem to get a bit bogged down in repitition though. You only have to listen to about 2 minutes of a song and you've heard all of it thats worth hearing.

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on October 01, 2008, 03:38:39 PM
Anyone read this? It's a glowing review of Oasis' latest album written by, er, Alan McGee:

vomit

I kind of had a wager with myself that he would mention the Sex Pistols in the first paragraph.  I wasn't far wrong.  Anyone else remember McGee's full page advert singing the praises of the Sex Pistols, oh, about 12 or so years ago when they reformed to do a few festival gigs?  Bum-clenchingly embarrassing.

El Unicornio, mang

He also can't ever mention Coldplay without referring to them as 'bedwetters'. What a terrible article. Never liked McGee though.

Beagle 2

Yes, well it's just a bit boring isn't it? Not even the one or two pop classics you're usually safe of, where are the chorus's? Alan McGee is a silly. I suppose it might grow on me, but have I the patience? Probably not to be honest.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on October 01, 2008, 03:38:39 PM

vomit

Quote from: mcgeeThe only Creation band that I still get excited about is Oasis.

That's pretty bleak given the quality of the post-Creation output of folk like TFC and the Super Furries.  It's also a bit of a diss to the likes of Bobby Gillespie, Martin Carr, Neil Halstead, Momus, etc.

I've always been fond of McGee's OTT enthusiasm for various of his acts - but sometimes he does get it badly wrong.  I mean, is anyone fond of Glasvegas?

Spiteface

I like Glasvegas.

I cannot trust a word that comes out of McGee's mouth ever since he decided to go around saying that My Bloody Valentine were a joke band.  So that's why you almost bankrupted yourself for then is it?  For a "joke" album? Piss off.

When I have the time tomorrow, I'll give the new Oasis album a listen.

LC

I'm quite into the album. The Noel songs are stand out. The others, I can leave. Having said that, 'I'm Outta Time' (Liam penned) is a highlight, regaurdless of how much he is trying to emulate Lennon.

Ja'moke

QuoteOasis have been accused of plagiarising a song by Sir Cliff Richard on their new album 'Dig Out Your Soul'.

The veteran singer's fans have alleged that Oasis' 'The Turning' borrows its intro from Sir Cliff's 1976 track 'Devil Woman'.

Fans first heard the supposed similarities when Oasis posted the track on their MySpace page.

In a message on Sir Cliff's website, one fan called the Oasis song a "rip-off", while another said: "Holy crap, it does sound like Cliff's 'Devil Woman'."

Janine Castle, a spokesperson for the International Cliff Richard Movement, told the Mirror that she was "astounded" but "delighted".

"I can hear the similarities," she said. "It's about time Cliff's musical genius got some recognition."
http://www.gigwise.com/news/46556/Oasis-Accused-Of-Plagiarising-Sir-Cliff-Richard-Song

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yosCYE4vwlY

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=K1arYM_tsfE

Viero_Berlotti

I think the more obvious bit of plagiarism is the opening riff to "Waiting For The Rapture" which is obviously almost exactly the same as the opening riff to The Doors "Five To One".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN34ojcIMJ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZls5ZH5ytA

I still think "Dig Out Your Soul" is a good album though. The tracks that deviate from the Oasis template are the best.

Ja'moke

That is blatantly ripped off! Maybe it was another dig at Jay Z who also used that Doors sample on his Nas diss track from a few years back, maybe Noel thought he could do the riff better justice... ;)

[youtube=425,350]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FAnGnevKxJE[/youtube]

LC

Oh lord, need some help here folks.  One of my mates has got tickets for one of the Oasis gigs next July and has asked me if I want to go by e-mail.  Twice this week.  Basically, I don't want to go because I don't particularly like Oasis, save their first two (and a half) albums and will be wasting my time going to see this.  Also, the tickets are 62 quid and I don't particularly want to fork out that much cash to see Liam Gallagher doing a Frank Sidebottom impression for a couple of hours.

Saying I'm skint isn't an option so I can't use that as an excuse.  I've got tickets for next year's Glastonbury and am kind of hoping that Oasis will be named in the line up - I won't go to see them mind but it would be a plausible reason for not going to see them a second time.

What should I do?

LC

boxofslice

Just tell him you would go if it was 1997 but it's not so you can't. Simple.

Neville Chamberlain

You can e-mail yourself to gigs these days?!? That's amazing!

As to what you should do, I think you should perhaps tell him that you don't want to go. That's usually what I do if somebody invites me to something I don't want to go to!

That's what I'm going to do I think, was just wondering if anyone had any nefarious plots, that was all.

Backstage With Slowdive

Inspired by the "I buried Paul" thread, have there ever been any sinister rumours about Oasis, as distinct from the boring tabloid stuff we all saw on front pages?

scarecrow

I went to see Leonard Cohen last night and Oasis were playing next door. since when did their entire fanbase consist of young BNP supporting Tim Roth types?

koeman

Quote from: Backstage With Slowdive on November 06, 2008, 07:34:02 PM
Inspired by the "I buried Paul" thread, have there ever been any sinister rumours about Oasis, as distinct from the boring tabloid stuff we all saw on front pages?

Bonehead actually died in 1995, and was replaced by David Daker, who used to play Harry Crawford in Boon.

Spiteface

No idea, but didn't Liam make some weird comments about Noel's daughter, forcing Noel to quit the band back in 2000?

I also have to get this off my chest.  I've recently noticed comments on youtube - are there really people who think, 11 years on, that Be Here Now is actually Oasis' best album?  I realise that at least 95% of people who post comments on youtube are retarded, but I had no idea they were THAT retarded.

That said, I wouldn't mind if they put "Fade In-Out" back in the live set.  "My Big Mouth" was in the set briefly on the recent tour, but it got dropped because Noel thought the set was too long.

weirdbeard

The general consensus on Oasis forums is that Be Here Now and Standing On The Shoulder The Giants are underrated, Heathen Chemistry is overrated and a pile of horseshit, and Don't Believe The Truth and Dig Out Your Soul are solid-good records.

Spiteface

That's a fair assessment.  I think Noel hit the nail on the head when he said that Be Here Now was "an absolute expression of it's time".

I've really been listening to a lot of Oasis recently, and stumbled upon the "Right Here, Right Now" documentary (more a really long advert for Be Here Now on the BBC), and I remember the live tracks they showed on it, like this:

[youtube=425,350]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QxHEsYCBSLs[/youtube]

It's a shame the Be Here Now tour footage is nowhere near as good as this.  I've always liked Noel Gallagher's taste in guitars as well - he's playing a Gibson Les Paul Florentine here, a semi-hollow LP.  Sweet.

This is pretty cool as well, a fairly complete list of Noel Gallagher's guitars and other gear over the years.  I remember for a long time wanting a Union Jack Epiphone.  It was ages before Epiphone actually released the Supernova (their Noel Gallagher model) in the Union Jack finish.  Those things are going up in value now.  And Noel never even played them himself!

EDIT:  Noel covering Smack My Bitch up.

[youtube=425,350]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uG19VqpR7gI[/youtube]

VernonKaySuicideWatch

Noel should stay clear of hats, they do not suit him - He looks like a bloody train driver there.

Liam pulls it off though.

Marty McFly

Quote from: VernonKaySuicideWatch on November 09, 2008, 01:18:00 PM
Noel should stay clear of hats, they do not suit him - He looks like a bloody train driver there.

driver of a large pink car and servant to an upper class lady, surely?

lipsink

I used to love the way Noel used to wheel out basically the same guitar solos for all the songs. Does he still do that?