Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:11:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Creepy samples

Started by Kishi the Bad Lampshade, October 16, 2008, 07:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

I can't listen to music late at night anymore. The prospect is too scary.

A few weeks ago I was listening to my iPod as I was drifting off to sleep. I find it helps me with my insomnia, and usually when I find myself falling asleep I switch it off and leave it on my bedside table. This time I forgot, and woke up at three in the morning to hear a woman saying "YOU-ARE-SLEEPING. YOU-DO-NOT-WANT-TO-BELIEVE." I'm surprised I didn't shit myself, quite frankly.

I've always been scared by creepy samples in songs (the one above is from the end of Rubber Ring by the Smiths, fact fans). Usually they come at the end of the song, so often I don't hear them because I'm the sort of twat who listens to the first 30 seconds of a song and then skips to the next one. But I've heard quite a few of them in the last few months, partly because I've listened to a lot more music recently and partly because of the aforementioned iPod-dozing. It doesn't seem to be particularly "edgy" artists who do this - it's just that occasionally some artist will decide to scare the living fuck out of me by putting some sudden wind-howling or ghost-voices at the end of a song. Shiina Ringo does a few of them (adding to the creepiness factor by looping the samples incessantly). The last one I had was from a song by of Montreal (I can never remember the titles but it's the one that goes "let's pretend we don't exist, let's pretend we're in Antarctica"), who I'd previously thought of as quite cuddly if very eccentric (drug-addiction lyrics aside).

Am I the only one who freaks out when they hear this stuff? Probably yes, I imagine this thread will get 2 replies - if that - and then disappear forever.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The dream message that DJ Shadow sampled from John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XnPKi8528U
The film is a pile of crap, but that bit is utterly chilling.

I'm in my mid thirties and the whispering voice at the end of Black Sabbath's 'Children of the Grave' still bothers me.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

^^ Yeah, that'd be the one. I've just read up on it - the idea that it's a translation of a supposed ghost is somehow even creepier than the idea of it being a ghostvoice itself.

alan nagsworth

Venetian Snares - Doll Doll Doll is full of mind-bendingly disturbing samples. I can't remember the track (maybe Befriend A Childkiller) but it has a slowed down voice saying stuff like "I reach out and touch the souls of the chosen ones", the way the songs on that album play out are chilling that the simplest attempt at integrating a "creepy" sample (cheesy-sounding when in writing, slowed down and with added distortion) is enough to send me over the edge with fear, but it's fucking awesome.

purlieu

The Future Sound of London have lots of nice ones at the beginning of songs.  "I had killed a man... a man who looked like me", "everyone in the world is doing something without me" (suitably wailed behind what sounds like an alien breathing and eerie plucked piano strings), "I can hear myself... I think I'm a bit afraid... they were drowning me" from Scanners. 
In terms of unexpected scariness, though... while enjoying a quick shag with my girlfriend (I tried to make that sound less romantic but struggled), we had Infinity Land by Biffy Clyro on.  For whatever reason, I'd never got around to listening to the hidden track.  So after 15 minutes of silence (not from us LOL) I practically jumped out of my skin when the droning out of tune guitars, bagpipes and Scottish bloke reciting poetry randomly came in.  Needless to say I was done for the night. 

This has since happened while drifting off to sleep and while watching a film.  Fucking hidden tracks.

El Unicornio, mang

I don't remember who did it (Blonde Redhead perhaps?) but there's a song with a bit of Jim Jones (the Jonestown guy) spouting his insane ramblings that is quite creepy

Edit: Found it, it's 'Jonestown' by Concrete Blonde

Babyshambles. Creepy samples. You've got to have a system.

lipsink

The sample at the beginning of 'Archives Of Pain' by The Manics always gives me the shivers. I heard somewhere that it was one of the mothers of Peter Sutcliffe's victims speaking.

As for worst songs to wake up to in the middle of the night: I remember waking up to 'Dont' by Dinosaur Jr. and it made the world seem like a horrible place.

Glyn

Quote from: lipsink on October 17, 2008, 11:53:12 PM
The sample at the beginning of 'Archives Of Pain' by The Manics always gives me the shivers. I heard somewhere that it was one of the mothers of Peter Sutcliffe's victims speaking.
It is, you can hear the hate in her voice. Personally though the Nuremberg Trials sample on 'the intense humming of evil' is the one that shits me up. God the Holy Bible's a damn good album for spoken word samples. 

boki

Quote from: lipsink on October 17, 2008, 11:53:12 PM

OK, so now I'm getting the full effect of that.  I must admit I always thought it was Ivy Tilsley from Coronation Street 'cos the voice sounded similar to my cloth ears and it was exactly the kind of thing that character would say about three times an episode!  I figured that using a sample from a soap in such a grim content would also be a very Richey&Nicky thing to do.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Key

Quote from: alan nagsworth on October 17, 2008, 04:45:57 PM
Venetian Snares - Doll Doll Doll is full of mind-bendingly disturbing samples.

It has a sample from what appears to be the police inquiry line for the Jon Benet Ramsay murder case.

Quote from: boki on October 18, 2008, 01:20:11 PM
OK, so now I'm getting the full effect of that.  I must admit I always thought it was Ivy Tilsley from Coronation Street 'cos the voice sounded similar to my cloth ears and it was exactly the kind of thing that character would say about three times an episode!  I figured that using a sample from a soap in such a grim content would also be a very Richey&Nicky thing to do.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that might have been a Corrie sample.

PaulTMA

That Butthole Surfers track is up there with the uncensored intro from the original version Marilyn Manson's 'Smells Like Children', which opens with a sample of a woman crying and saying 'no, please don't hurt me' followed by lots of crying and other stuff.  Unsurprisingly, the record company made them remove it.  Not sure where the sample was originally from, but it was nasty.

goldfish

I was about 14/15 and I fell asleep listening to the Twin Peaks soundtrack. Woke up to hear 'the black dog runs at night... the black dog runs at night...' That was pretty disturbing.

Glyn

Quote from: trotsky assortment on October 22, 2008, 10:30:15 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who thought that might have been a Corrie sample.
'It doesnt matter what you say Ivy theres no more hotpot to go around'

FanOfKylie

I always found that woman/ghost at the end of Rubber Ring scary and would definately be scared to bits if I heard it on my iPod at night. There was abit in MOJO in the Q&A section of the origins of it. Will try and dig it out for you.

Still not as scary as Buxton the Blue Cat meowing in Dougal And The Blue Cat in the Magic Roundabout film. I had the soundtrack as a kid and would run screaming from the room if my family slipped it onto the record player. Not only is Buxton's meow scary but I think it's the nice music and vibe of the story up to that point and then the sudden appearance of that evil cat.
Any other fans/traumatised as children whilst listening to Dougal And The Blue Cat soundtrack ?

Still Not George

Quote from: Kishi the Bad Lampshade on October 16, 2008, 07:42:08 PMI imagine this thread will get 2 replies - if that - and then disappear forever.

FOREVER! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!

Erm, yes. Sorry. As you were.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

S'okay FanofKylie, I've done my own research. Apparently it's from a recording of white noise through which you can supposedly hear ghosts talking - the woman is translating what the ghost (who is speaking in a mix of German and Swedish) is saying. More info here: http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2006/09/voice_from_the_.html
All a load of bollocks if you ask me, but no-one has. Typical.

It was given away free with a magazine, which is probably where Moz got a hold of it.

Hank_Kingsley

Creepy samples was pretty much all Skinny Puppy had in the way of music. Like that line from Plague Dogs in 'Testure' (also used by Brutal Truth...)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WioCw5DKZI[/youtube]