Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:59:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Learning to play Piano

Started by The Masked Unit, October 22, 2008, 09:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Masked Unit

Well, when I say "Piano", what I really mean is "MIDI controller keyboard hooked up to some soft-synths".

In short, is there any sort of program or website that will get me on my way to learning to play? In my mind I'm thinking of the musical equivilant to Mavis Beacon teaches typing!

lazyhour

I have in the last year or two started to learn to play keyboards. Though I still don't really know what I'm doing and have never had lessons, I can play and compose bits and pieces which I wouldn't have thought possible 18 months ago.  Because I didn't learn properly and learnt for pretty much the same reason you describe, I hope you might find this useful.

The way I did it is to first print out a chord shape chart and go from there.  I developed my techique by fingering the basic chord shapes on the chart, and then adding more notes around the chord to make more interesting sounds, playing arpeggios on these notes, etc.  Also start by learning how to play two or more chord shapes, then practice switching between them.

Oh, and you'll very quickly notice how there are really only a very finite number of traditional chord shapes, and you can play them anywhere on the piano to get a pleasing sound.  Just like guitar barre chords, I suppose.

You should also practice playing the chord shapes with your right hand, and accompanying with very simple bass notes with your left hand.  I still can't do complicated basslines, but I'm getting there.

Hope this helps.  Here's 48 chords: now form a band.

I know this is all stupidly obvious, basic advice, but it's pretty much what I did.

The Masked Unit

Thanks for that; I'm basically doing exactly what you've said and I downloaded a PDF of all the chords depicted as in your chart. Could really do with being taught some exersises to improve my dexterity etc.

Artemis

I had formal piano lessons for nine years as a child. While it was all good as a foundation, ultimately I started to play much better when I abandoned lessons and started playing along with music. A really good place to start is with the blues. The chord structures, when learnt, are probably the most consistently simple, and there's loads of room to experiment. Listening to someone else play well, copying them and eventually starting to experiment yourself is, I'd argue, a much more enjoyable way to learn to play then the tedium of conventional lessons. To start with, pick your favourite music, and get the music for it - ignore all the notes and focus on the chords. Learn how to play each one, and what they're called. Then just play along with the chords, in much the same way a guitar player does. It'll feel like you're actually playing, but you're not - you're just doing the chords. It really will feel like it though, and is a great place to start. When you learn each chord. run your fingers up the keyboard, only playing notes that are part of that chord structure. Those are the notes to start playing around with when you're experimenting - see which sound good.... and practice, practice, practice.

I should say, I've never taught anybody to play piano by that method, and can only attest to how good it is as a starting point because it worked for me, but then I did have many years of lessons before that.

I immediately regret this post.

Lord Mandrake

Sorry but I would advise getting a professional teacher or taking classes. You will learn far quicker taking even two or three hours a week with someone who is experienced in delivering, methodically the tools you need to understand the fundamentals of piano. Self teaching usually leads to bad habits and often missing out on vital information...
It may seem tedious but you'll get much more enjoyment from it if you have a proper foundation.