Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:48:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mr Oizo - Lambs Anger (New LP)

Started by The Boston Crab, November 02, 2008, 02:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I didn't even realise this was coming out. I finally got back into lastfm and this was recommended to me or something, can't even remember now, I'm so savagely underwhelmed. I absolutely love Oizo and can accept that he's a bit hit-and-miss but his best moments are probably the best remnants of the dying French house/electro scene (along with SebastiAn, of course). He's had a busy year or two with his movie Steak (farcical crap) and the accompanying soundtrack (sporadically stunning) but there really is no excuse for this phoned-in shit. It sounds little better than any number of MySpace copyists. The production seems unbelievably lacklustre, no surprises at all - other than that it's shit. Do I need to repeat that?

It's utterly devoid of funk or the mis-stepping stomps which he usually does so well. It's all seriously tired 'rave' synth presets and the most default beats you've ever heard. It sounds like a really cheap version of Para One or Digitalism, at best. If someone told me he'd made it between Analogue Worms Attack and Moustache (Half A Scissor), I'd think it was all right but as the culmination of his musical output so far, it's a joke. Sorry, Oizzock (LOL).

There are three good bits on the whole album, two of which, 'Jo' and the second half of 'Gay Dentists' (rolleyes), are basically the first half of Patrick122 with different samples. Admittedly, Jo does have something sweet going on, it feels like an update of those wonderfully warm Crydamoure records (Guy-Manuel's defunct solo label). The other good bit is the track 'CutDick', which sounds like an off-cut from the 'Steak' OST, super synthetic 'live' bass and sax, typical goofy melody. Apart from those three, it's nothing but weak-ass stabs and generic booty beats. Worst of all, FUCKING UFFIE deep throats her way into the studio again.

Wot went wong?

Maximash

It didn't make me as mad as you, TBC, but I can safely say I was disappointed. The first three or four tracks are pretty good and I thought the title track was a decent interlude but there's a massive nosedive in quality here. You're not alone in your intolerance of Uffie either, my goodness what a jumped up shit she is. I don't mind the preset sound all that much I just think he could've done something better here. Should've been a 6 tracks teaser or something for a proper album.