Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:11:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Have a dose of this !! (Band Vs Band fights)

Started by VegaLA, November 05, 2008, 03:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegaLA

Any memorable Band spats that have been made into music ?

I'm aware of the whole West Side - East Side Hip Hop thing that has been dragging on for years, with casualties such as Tupac, Biggie and Jam master Jay, and didn't Trent Razor compose a song in reply to Marilyn Manson's book where he upset Trent?  I'm not sure of the detail but would like to hear about it.

What I can contribute is the feud between Andy Eldritch against Wayne Hussey and Craig Adams, the product of which was the top ten hit 'This Corrosion'.
After Wayne and Craig left (shown the studio door) The sisters they then formed their own band, 'The Sisterhood' which was the pet name for the Sister's fanbase and Andy immediatly pulled the rug from their feet by producing and distributing 'Giving Ground' under the name of 'The sisterhood'. After a bitter legal battle Andy was awarded 25K from the ex band members who renamed themselves 'The Mission' which Andy said was taken from the Sisters abandoned project, 'Left on a Mission of Love and Revenge' but the Mish guys state that the name came from Simon Hinkler's sound system, which were Mission Speakers, but then changed their story to "God came down to us during a brainstorming session and gave us the name.." in an attempt to sound rock 'n' roll exciting !

Anyone know of any singles, albums, music that has been borne of group wars or rows ?

'Daisy Chain' from The Go-Go's* reunion album 'God Bless The Go-Go's' deals specifically with their break-up the first time around, circa '85.  I can't recommend listening to it though; it's the only track I skip on an otherwise decent pop album.

*they're responsible for the wrong use of apostrophe, not me, before anybody writes in!

This horrible song

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=84rnftxGtug

led to this incident

Singer Blag Dahlia "most famously was involved in an altercation with Josh Homme, singer from Queens of the Stone Age, who attacked him in November 2004 at the Dragonfly Nightclub with a beer bottle in retaliation for being insulted in the Dwarves song 'Massacre' from the album The Dwarves Must Die. Due to fears of a lawsuit that never materialized Homme's handlers disseminated a glut of misinformation that was dutifully reported in media organs like Rolling Stone, but the actual facts of the case remain unclear. Dahlia himself is not actually quoted in any mainstream publications on the subject."

But that pales in comparison to the colourful gory history of Mayhem
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayhem_(band)

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Lee Van Cleef

Yeah the Mayhem/Burzum "spat" jumped to mind.  Vikernes getting Ruch to give him a lift to Aarseth'sflat and murdering him is a fairly big spat.

boki

Quote from: VegaLA on November 05, 2008, 03:25:36 AM
...didn't Trent Razor compose a song in reply to Marilyn Manson's book where he upset Trent?  I'm not sure of the detail but would like to hear about it.

'Starfuckers, Inc.' is supposedly about Manson, but after they'd settled their differences Brian appeared in a video for the song and they decided to divert their ire towards Courtney Love instead.

tarmac

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 05, 2008, 04:08:57 PM
Red Hot Chilli Peppers Vs. Mr Bungle.
Imitation is the sincerest form of mockery.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdHrGLkFG6U

Heh, that's the first one that sprang to my mind.  I think Kiedis was being very petty from the start and getting Mr. Bungle dropped from the festivals was totally underhand - like Patton says it's ridiculous that someone as big as Anthony Kiedis should be bothered about a comparatively tiny band like Bungle.  The funniest thing is Faith No More were leagues better after Patton ditched the slightly daft moves that started the whole thing.  

Really don't like that interview though - I don't like Wolfmother and I'm a big Patton fan, but he comes across as a right prick there.

tarmac

Quote from: VegaLA on November 05, 2008, 03:25:36 AM
Any memorable Band spats that have been made into music ?

I'm aware of the whole West Side - East Side Hip Hop thing that has been dragging on for years, with casualties such as Tupac, Biggie and Jam master Jay

Regarding rap feuds, N.W.A's 100 Miles and Runnin' era onwards is particularly amusing.  The pure hatred for Ice Cube on Niggaz4Life is staggering, and as I recall he didn't speak badly of N.W.A whatsoever on his debut album.  Then when Dre and pals learned Eazy-E and Jerry Heller had been allegedly fucking them over, The Chronic became a cruise missile aimed squarely at Mr. E.  I find Snoop Doggy Dogg's inexplicable tagging-on to the whole feud quite amusing on that album and he makes himself look a wee bit silly.  I love hip-hop feuds, they're brilliant.

The pointless 3rd Bass / Beastie Boys tiff spawned some amusing retorts too.  As MCA says "I'm bad ass move your fat ass 'cause you're wack son, dancin' around like you think you're Janet Jackson".  Oddly enough, 3rd Bass sample the Beastie Boys on something or other which leads me to believe it might have all been a bit of tongue in cheek showmanship.

I'm not sure what MF DOOM did, something about pinching money, but MF Grimm was a bit upset with him at one point a few years ago.  I feel a bit sorry for Grimm, he does seem to have drawn the short straw.

Lee Van Cleef

Just been reading about Grimm now.  The "The Downfall of Ibliys: A Ghetto Opera" sounds interested based on the premise of how and when it was recorded alone.

alan nagsworth

For the Grimm/Doom rift, look no further than the lyrics to Grimm's 'The Book Of Daniel':
super-long lyrics
[Intro: Bashton the Invisible Man]
I met this kid he seemed righteous
Represented knowledge
Yeah, him and his brother they was real smart
But then his brother died and he was taken in by a grand master
And from what I hear this kid Sambo was a snake
A rat, he stole shit and ran away to another state
Microchip bitch

[Verse 1: GRIMM]
I don't deep fry friends
Grimm Reaper nuke 'em
Hearts don't mend
Brothers turned to enemies
Nigga, enemies I eat them raw
Nigga, MF GRIMM is god of war
Parole done, see you on tour
Millions get paid, lets see who make more
Master water
Cause man is mostly made of it
Spit fire consume by friends compete for oxygen
Freeze deepness of minds
Then skate on it
Roast fire proof emcees with bad warranties
War is a part of me
Prison hardened me
Demons tried to murder me
Pistols always poppin' me
Leadconvicts my flesh
But God pardons me
Revenge, was turning descendants
So God, pardon me
Put yourself in danger
Running with a mouse
Metal turned to braces
Punch you in your mouth
Zev Luv X, used to be merry
The mask took control of you
Like Jim Carrey
Megalon, tap him in the jaw
Knock it off him
M.I.C. got to put your mask in a coffin
Mos Def, De La soul
Roots can't revive you
When the bullets start flying
Who's gonna hide you?
Rhymesayers, Stones Throw
Nature Sounds sign you
Make peace with you?
Zev I I tried to

[Chorus: Bashton the Invisible Man]
You can hide behind the mask
But see through like glass
Thought you was the truth
But your style's like ass
Cut-throat bitch
Man you got no class
Little black Sambo
Shouldn't talk trash

[x2]

[Verse 2: Mez]
Midgets into crunk
Monkeys in a cage
Murderers in a cut
Fucking you up on stage
Tell them about the time
That Gunn punched you in the face
Basically you was hating
And then you ran away
You ain't a man, you a character
I bet that mask make you feel a lot scarier
Cause man to man is your doom
Like we're parallels
M.I.C. will see you soon at your burial
Listen Vicky you not goons, you cartoons
Your hype man is not Grimm, that's not him
What you speak is not true, that's not you
Your team's weak, I'll pop them, then pop you
Smog made ya mask
Jet Jag made your name
M.I.C. gave you life
And we can take that shit away

[Verse 3: GRIMM]
I didn't wanna get at you
You know this is true
One thing that stopped me
Was Lord Dihoo
But now you're being
Disrespectful to me and the crew
Now I gotta do, what I gotta do
M.J. did articles, she got your name hot
The mask was made for you by Lord Scotch
X-Ray gave you studio time when in town
Rodan and Megalon, them brothers held you down
Evil jay, had you paranoid like a clown
Jumped off stage and ran when Kong came around
We looked out for each other when you lived uptown
On the cover of the EP, but look at us now
Chess is life, we haven't played off late
But even on the cover, I put your ass in mate
We been through so much, Zev you was close to me
Used to come trough your house, buy your ass groceries
I wrote the whole treatment to your MF video
With Adam Lounge and Ricky 'Kid' Scotchno
Hundred thousand dollar bail caught up and I called you
Fired my attorney, you helped me get a lawyer
You took me in, let me stay out in Atlanta
Facing 15 to life, we bounced out to Cali
You made sacrifices, recorded on the run
We bust our ass, and got Ibylis done
I made a mistake, told the press you hold dough
I see now its my fault, they didn't need to know
I apologized to you, I thought we let it go
B.B. King's, New York, together did a show
But look at us now, once again, here we go
Money wasn't worth it, it turned us into foes
Whenever you had beef, your beef was mine
I took a life for you, put mine on the line

Doing songs with RZA
That's funny shit
I remember you told me
That he bit Tick, Tick...
You said Ghost was whack
You didn't like his style
Two-faced and three-headed
Bitch I pull your file
New food poisoning
You vomit for a while
You started some shit
Now you sitting on a pile
Metal face, tin foil
Walk the green mile

How could you ever diss M.I.C.
Yves St. Lerock yes R.I.P.
Big Al R.I.P.
J. Black R.I.P.
Subroc R.I.P.
K. Nit R.I.P.
T. Collins R.I.P.
M.I.C.

What the fuck happened to you man
You fell the fuck off man
Niggaz used to love you, motherfucker
Come home man
Come home, Zev (Come on)
Don't let them niggaz brainwash you man
I know your fans love you man
They love you
You getting brainwashed
[close]

So there you have it: Doom went in pursuit of money by taking his skills to wider audiences and collaborating with people like Ghostface and Danger Mouse, and Grimm thought he was selling out. There was something about royalties too, I think. So that lead to Doom dissing his old bandmates Monster Island Czars on the DANGERDOOM album ('Once joined a rap click - Midgets Into Crunk. Did a solo on the oboe / Coulda sold a million but the Villain went for dolo; Citing creative differences / Basically they hated, he left no jaded witnesses') as well as the sleeve of his album Mm.. Food, which shows him eating a bowl of cereal labelled 'The Finest', and floating in the bowl are members of the Monster Island Czars.

The Masked Unit

Any hip-hop beef post the NWA feud is rubbish in comparison. It spawned about four classic albums.

purlieu

Quote from: Lee Van Cleef on November 05, 2008, 06:01:28 PM
Yeah the Mayhem/Burzum "spat" jumped to mind.  Vikernes getting Ruch to give him a lift to Aarseth'sflat and murdering him is a fairly big spat.
I liked this:
QuoteIt may also be the only heavy metal album on which both a murderer and his victim perform.

tarmac

Quote from: Lee Van Cleef on November 05, 2008, 11:07:25 PM
Just been reading about Grimm now.  The "The Downfall of Ibliys: A Ghetto Opera" sounds interested based on the premise of how and when it was recorded alone.

I've had a copy of that on backorder for fackin' ages - seems like it's pretty tough to get hold of for less than £40, but what I've heard of it is really good, very similar in style and production to Operation: Doomsday.  He's got a graphic novel out too; not gotten round to checking it out though.

Quote from: alan nagsworth on November 06, 2008, 04:40:00 AM
floating in the bowl are members of the Monster Island Czars.

Heh, fantastic! I hadn't noticed that before.  Aww, a tiny little Ben Grimm.

samadriel

QuoteDead's suicide affected Necrobutcher so much that he left Mayhem
He's a sensitive soul, our Necrobutcher...

gmoney

Quote from: boki on November 05, 2008, 06:11:46 PM
'Starfuckers, Inc.' is supposedly about Manson, but after they'd settled their differences Brian appeared in a video for the song and they decided to divert their ire towards Courtney Love instead.

As a footnote, Trent has been making little digs at Manson again since about 2005. Not sure why, other than he thinks his output is shit.

alan nagsworth

For what it's worth, I don't much blame Doom for his solo venture and subsequent MIC dissing. Escape From Monster Island is a crap album.