Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:37:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Children's Songs

Started by Emma Raducanu, November 11, 2008, 06:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emma Raducanu

I reacquainted myself with Rolf Harris' Two Little Boys (ooh err) and thought it was as great as I did listening to it as a kid in the back seat of my Grandma's car (oooo errr) back in the early 80s. Of course now, listening to it as an adult, the song takes on new dimensions and I think it's a lovely celebration of childhood imagination and of brotherly love (oooooooh errrrrrrr).

Also Paul Williams and Kenneth Ascher's song Rainbow Connection, performed by Kermit the Frog is a delight every time and got me thinking, what other children's songs are there that are great?

sirhenry

Abiyoyo, Pete Seeger's story/song is possibly the best kids' thing ever.

Puff the Magic Dragon?

Two Little Boys in Blue (not very kiddie, though)

Any of the Animaniacs songs (see youtube)

Marty McFly

I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothing, but I think unicorns are kick-ass.
[youtube=425,350]tQFKFrb9iac[/youtube]

Emma Raducanu

Clive Dunn's Grandad is a good suggestion. When I'm a grandad, I want all my grandsons and daughters to sing it at my funeral and for it to be played at the Wake as the children play pass the parcel, with my will in it.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nEwlnByCJoM

biggytitbo

THe obvious classic -
[youtube=425,350]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=A4xeidmjy6s&feature=related[/youtube]

But also it's less well known follow up -
[youtube=425,350]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MFfW5sTaEfg&feature=related[/youtube]
You'll be humming it all day!

Marty McFly

Quote from: DolphinFace on November 11, 2008, 09:25:44 PM
Clive Dunn's Grandad is a good suggestion. When I'm a grandad, I want all my grandsons and daughters to sing it at my funeral and for it to be played at the Wake as the children play pass the parcel, with my will in it.

[youtube]

have you read the comments for that video? that's another page for the bleak conversations thread..

my bruv and i bought this 4 my beloved grandad, ohh such fond memories of the very best man in the world, no one will ever compare to him in my life. R.I.P i love a miss u so much, my world fell apart wen u went to nan and the angels but i know u r still with me.x

this made me cry and yet smile it reminded me of my grandad who was like a dad to me. RIP my one true friend

R I P our darling Grandad we all love u forever and ever and we miss u
love jen neil ami

I'm going to have this played at my funeral. I am a sterile orphan.

I love this song. I had this on a tape called All Aboard. I used to sing this to my Grandad. When I was a kid now he's not with me anymore he died on the 10th of June 2000 everytime I hear this song I think of my Grandad and it always makes me cry. Love you always Grandad xxx. I wonder what Clive Dunn is up to now. I can't belive he got to sing live on the golden shot. I bet this song wa snumber one in the UK for ages. Always loving you Clive Dunn you a an amazing singer.

ad infinitum. I'm simultaneously laughing and crying at reading them.

El Unicornio, mang

I read those too. I was surprised though as I was expecting lots of comments like "fukin nonce gayy grandad child peddlerfile" "luk at him polishin his car creeepy bastad" "ban this sick filth.. tihnk of the kids!!!"

ozziechef

Quote from: DolphinFace on November 11, 2008, 06:45:36 PM
I reacquainted myself with Rolf Harris' Two Little Boys

Did anyone else see the War documentary last night where ROlf Harris retraced the steps of his Dad and Uncle.

Despite the fact the song was written about the American Civil War, it was similar to what happened in the First World War to Rolf's family. He didn't know apparently but always wondered why other members of his family refused to listen to it.

Another vote for Rolf here - some classics - Big Dog, I want my Mummy, Pukka Chicken. The Rolf LP was rarely off the record player in my day.

The Widow of Brid

Anyone else a fan of Woody Guthrie's albums of children's songs (songs to grow on/nursery days)?

Pretty much every track from Spider is great, too.

Jemble Fred

All Aboard is definitely the all-encompassing king of children's song collections – that, and Disney albums, were mainstays on the radiogramme in my infancy.

Okay, being a cheapo sadist, I saved money on my nephews' second birthdays by recording albums of kid's songs for them (complete with talking book versions of stories I wrote for their births). 'All Aboard' was obviously my main inspiration here, but it should go without saying I didn't really make them with any expectation that the CDs would be played more than once, but that one day when I'm dead my grown up nephews would be able to compare notes of their weird Uncle Jemble, and say 'Fuck, did he record shit ukulele songs for you too? What a cheap cunt.'

But anyway, I've started the tradition now, so soon I have to record whole new collections of kid's song for their little brothers, as they near their second birthday. The first batch included:
• Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head
• Morningtown Ride
• Mr Bluesky
• The Frog Song
• Octopus' Garden
• Urban Spaceman
• Teddy Bear's Picnic

If anyone has any suggestions of playable kid's songs to go into a second batch, do go ahead. 'Two Little Boys' will probably be one, maybe 'Look Out There's A Monster Coming' and 'Puff The Magic Dragon' too. Oh, and the theme to Dogtanian.

madhair60

Quote from: Jemble Fred on November 12, 2008, 12:47:14 PM
All Aboard is definitely the all-encompassing king of children's song collections – that, and Disney albums, were mainstays on the radiogramme in my infancy.

I think the twist at the end of CookdandBombd is that I, in fact, am you. :(

Really though, All Aboard is fucking tops - the song I posted above was on it, I believe.  I'm downloading it right now.  So nostalgic, I should expect I shall weep like a baby.

sirhenry

Quote from: The Widow of Brid on November 12, 2008, 12:38:30 PM
Anyone else a fan of Woody Guthrie's albums of children's songs (songs to grow on/nursery days)?
Of course. And in a very similar vein, if you can get hold of it anywhere, is Pete Seeger's 'Children's Concert at Town Hall' which includes the above-mentioned Abiyoyo. It also has several songs you might like to adapt for the uke, Jemble.

Jemble Fred

The question is of course, when will Pocoyo and pals make their chart entry? That's what I'm really waiting for.