Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:35:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Genesis

Started by Lumiere, January 05, 2005, 09:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the hum

Quote from: "difbrook"

It may also just be a meeting to discuss the release of archive material, remastered albums etc, so don't hold your breath.

yeah, it seems more likely to be a bunch of fans putting two and two together. It'd be a nice thought, but it's more likely to be a general business meeting.

it's a lovely thought, but it's exceedingly unlikely, innit?[/quote]

I suppose after the Pink Floyd reunion (albeit brief) you should never say never, but the classic Genesis lineup has been apart even longer than the classic Floyd lineup.  

Actually, it might've happened years ago, but for PG, who seems stubbornly uninterested.  I get the impression Hackett would be back in in a flash, provided the material wasn't overtly commercial, and Phil has said more than once that he'd do it, provided Peter sang.

the hum

I was also going to add that the thought of the album the five of them could come up with IF they reunited and put their hearts into it, is frankly trouser-wetting.

On the LastFm radio player, despite claiming to be 'Many Too Many' from '...And Then There Were Three', it plays an orchestral re-recording - presumably from one of those Classic Rock things.  It's strange, every time the intro comes on, it makes me think I should be trundling around a shopping centre, or buying groceries.

Detective John Kimble

Hang on...didn't Phil retire from playing live a while ago because his ears were fucked?  I seem to have heard that after he played the Golden Jubilee concert.  

A reunion...certainly I'd like to see it, but only if they did another record.  Banks and Rutherford may well be spent forces, and Phil probably is as well...but hey, all 3 can still play like demons most likely.  Hackett and Gabriel are most certainly not spent at all.  

On an unrelated note, does anyone else think that 'A Curious Feeling' by Tony Banks is a surprisingly good record?  Perhaps it was extremely low expectations  going in, but when I heard it I thought it was great.

Haven't heard 'A Curious Feeling' for years, but it never made much of an impression on me.  I like bits of 'Still' though.   ...And the four people who've heard it will tell you his Strictly Inc. band project is a really great pop album.

difbrook

Quote from: "trotsky assortment"Haven't heard 'A Curious Feeling' for years, but it never made much of an impression on me.  I like bits of 'Still' though.   ...And the four people who've heard it will tell you his Strictly Inc. band project is a really great pop album.

five. I've heard it as well. Funnily enough, it made no impression on me at all. I prefer Bankstatement, just to be awkward...

I can't offer an opinion on that, as I've never heard it.  A mutual friend of ours is often telling me I should.

Suttonpubcrawl

A Curious Feeling is pretty dire, I never could get into it. It all sounds very corny and that singer is awful!

Has anyone heard Smallcreep's Day (Mike Rutherford's solo album)? I tracked that down on Amazon.fr ages ago, it's a pretty good album to be honest. I've read reviews of it that say one side is very good and the other not so good. I'd agree with that, there's a sort of concept album half which is very good, and then the other half is a collection of songs which clearly aren't so good and don't hold my interest as much.

difbrook

Quote from: "trotsky assortment"I can't offer an opinion on that, as I've never heard it.  A mutual friend of ours is often telling me I should.

that mutual friend might just be taking the piss, although I suspect they're probably being deadly serious on this one...

foxxvox

I'm off to see ver Collins in concert in Glasgow this saturday - I'm hoping for a few Genesis classics in there. Home By The Sea would be good.

Quote from: "difbrook"
Quote from: "trotsky assortment"I can't offer an opinion on that, as I've never heard it.  A mutual friend of ours is often telling me I should.

that mutual friend might just be taking the piss, although I suspect they're probably being deadly serious on this one...

I'll stake my life on them not taking the piss, mate.

SPC has just reminded me what my problem with 'A Curious Feeling' is - I never cared much for the vocals either.

As for Rutherford, I haven't got 'Smallcreep's Day'.  I've got a slightly beaten up vinyl of 'Acting Very Strange' somewhere though, and as I recall, that's pretty good.

Personally, I think Steve Hackett's 'Spectoral Mornings' and 'Defector' are worth a hundred of any other Genesis-related solo release.

the hum

Quote from: "trotsky assortment"
Personally, I think Steve Hackett's 'Spectoral Mornings' and 'Defector' are worth a hundred of any other Genesis-related solo release.

Surely you are forgetting Peter Gabriel III (aka 'the melty one').  I'd put that ahead of many Genesis albums, bar 'Seconds Out', 'SEBTP', and 'ATOTT'.

Ah yeah!  Those Hackett albums don't come too far behind that, though.

Morgan

When it comes to Genesis, I couldn't agree more with what Robert Pollard has to say, that's to say Gabriel-era Genesis were brilliant, post-Gabriel Genesis were shite:

QuoteIt's The Bee Gees Syndrome, you know? The Bee Gees were great at first. Both The Bee Gees and Genesis went from being one of the greatest bands in the world to one of the worst bands in the world. A complete flip of the coin, the opposite of what they were, a big commercial fucking sell-out, whereas they used to be something spiritual and good. I guess that happens to bands. It's a complete sell-out for money and fame. They go for the fuckin' cash.

Is that quote specifically aboy post-Gabriel though?  'Trick Of The Tail' and 'Wind And Wuthering' carried bucket-loads of the spirit of 'proper' Genesis.

Morgan

QuoteIs that quote specifically aboy post-Gabriel though?

Yes, it is -

O: You've managed to incorporate prog-rock influences into indie-rock, something nobody else has ever tried, and you're proud of it.

RP: When I first started doing interviews, and I first mentioned that one of my favorite bands was early Genesis, people were fucking amazed. They'd go, "How can that be?" Even in college in the late '70s, I listened to Devo and Genesis; those were my two favorite bands at the same time, and people were totally confused as to how I could do that. Selling England By The Pound is one of my top 10 records of all time. I love that record. Genesis with Peter Gabriel might be my biggest influence.

O: Wasn't Under The Bushes intended to parallel The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway?

RP: Initially. I even had characters like a rock opera, but it was so confusing that I decided to shit-can that idea. I didn't want to have to go on a press tour to explain what it meant, like the way Pete Townshend used to have to explain his projects. I can't do that; it's insane. But The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway... That album and Ziggy Stardust are probably my two favorite concept albums.

O: It's important to clarify that it was Peter Gabriel-era Genesis, not the latter-day stuff.

RP: Absolutely. It's The Bee Gees Syndrome, you know? The Bee Gees were great at first. Both The Bee Gees and Genesis went from being one of the greatest bands in the world to one of the worst bands in the world. A complete flip of the coin, the opposite of what they were, a big commercial fucking sell-out, whereas they used to be something spiritual and good. I guess that happens to bands. It's a complete sell-out for money and fame. They go for the fuckin' cash. Some people think we're doing that right now, but that's not true; it just got to the point where the sound quality had to get better in our music. It's the evolution, the progression. They're the same songs, just a little more fleshed-out. But we're not over-blown keyboard music. Where Genesis would have a 20-minute song with 15 songs in there, we break them down and separate them. We could just put a bunch together and turn 'em into one big, long song. In that way, we're like Genesis.

O: Though it's hard to imagine Genesis sitting around on stage with a cooler full of beer.

RP: No, no, no, no. That's us. That's totally original. That's the Guided By Voices thing, the whole beer thing. That's why we're great. We get comparisons to The Grateful Dead because of our fanatic following, but their following was about acid, and ours is all about beer.

Adrian Brezhnev

So... at long last, after years of speculation, Genesis announced their first tour in 15 years yesterday.

http://www.thewebisode.com/blog/2006/11/genesis-reunites-for-tour-with-phil.html

20 dates round Europe, including Twickenham on July 7th 2007 and Old Trafford on the 8th, with a US tour to follow after that. I'd imagine that they'll sell out pretty quickly.

And, just to add for the fun, and to the annoyance of anyone with their whole catalogue on CD, they are releasing all albums next year remixed in 5:1 on DVD in double sets with SACD stereo versions, so die-hard fans will have to buy all the albums again AND a 5:1 sound system if they don't already have one.

lankinpark

//www.stevehackett.com's take on the reunion: "First of all I would like to congratulate Tony, Mike and Phil for flying the flag once again. Good luck to them and I really hope they have a very successful tour.

I was originally approached to discuss the possibility of a five piece which would have included Peter Gabriel and yours truly but since Peter's schedule precludes this it makes sense for the other three to celebrate the brand in their 'own special way' as it were ...."

Which is a real shame, because Hackett's the one who'd make it most interesting.

Yeah.  It might've been nice for them to go out as a four piece and play a similar set to 'Seconds Out'.  While I love the Gabriel stuff, I have a very soft spot for both 'A Trick Of The Tail' and 'Wind And Wuthering'.

Lots of lovely old footage on youtube, for those who've not yet seen it, by the way.

*huge bump*

Big news and if some of the people who contributed to this thread earlier are still around, I figured they may be as excited as I am.

New Genesis 1970-75 box on the way.

The thing which makes this noteworthy is the inclusion of the Gabriel era live clips, since none of those surfaced on the greatest hits DVD release from a couple of years ago.

As beautiful as it is though, there's a downside...  Firstly, the price tag (there's no way I can even begin to afford it) and secondly, the issue of what's not included... Unless 'Melody: French TV 1974' includes a chunk of live stuff from 'The Lamb', we're still being denied that, aside from thirty seconds of Peter Gabriel in his Slipperman costume (giant bogie).  Unless of course I'm mistaken and that tiny snippet is all that exists these days.

Can any other Genesis fans here clarify: Is Piper Club, Rome 1972 that black and white footage with Peter Gabriel talking about sounds while taking off his shoe and the black and white 'Stagnation' footage (as seen on YouTube)?

I really want this.  I wish I had £90.

I've given in and bought one.  I don't mind not eating until Christmas.
Getting one signed by Steve Hackett was just too tempting.