Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:48:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Half Man, Half Biscuit

Started by Xander, January 14, 2005, 04:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marvin

Quote from: Caroline on July 22, 2008, 08:38:40 PM
I didn't know about the clash, but I'm definitely going to HMHB. I too will probably see Of Montreal at Field Day so it will all be alright.

Aye, probably the same, Field Day looks very good line-up wise.

Quote from: Caroline on July 22, 2008, 08:38:40 PMI didn't know about the clash

Oh no, not them as well!

of Montreal can basically fuck off

GoochDogHigh5s

Just when you thought they had peaked, they bring out a brilliant song like  Blue Badge Abuser

AlfRamsey

Quote from: GoochDogHigh5s on July 25, 2008, 06:09:49 PM
Just when you thought they had peaked, they bring out a brilliant song like  Blue Badge Abuser

One of my least favourite songs on the album. National Shite Day, Problem Chimp, Lord Hereford's Knob, Give us Bubblewrap, Ode to Joyce though....brilliant.

Marvin

Yeah Blue Badge Abuser is pretty much the weakest thing on the new album. It's one of a couple that I tend to skip, which makes CSI a bit weaker than Achtung Bono out of the recent ones, probably on a par with Cammel Laird.

GoochDogHigh5s

Blimey, thats told me!!

Each to their own and all that

National Shite Day was a song I was looking forward to, thanks to the title, but I thought it dissapointed.

Problem Chimp, Lord Hereford's Knob are up there though

Beagle 2

Who's off to the London gig tomorrow then? Can't bloody wait!

Egyptian Feast

I'll be there too. I cannot fucking wait.

I saw them a year ago in Blackpool and they were bloody marvellous. Being part of a drunken scrum singing "She's the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I'm just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki" at the top of their voices is an unexpectedly moving sensation.

Marvin

I'm missing it, gah - they were bloody marvellous last time I saw them. I'll go to one of their other forthcoming gigs though:

Wed 12th Nov
Waterfront, Norwich
[Info] 
Thu 13th Nov
The Charlotte, Leicester
[Info] 
Thu 11th Dec
The Assembly, Leamington Spa
[Info] 
Fri 30th Jan 2009
The Academy, Manchester
[Info] 

Dark Poet

Great stuff, only Paintball's Coming Home would have made it better.  I didn't know one of the covers though.

"Dance Dance Dance in my Joy Division Oven Gloves".

Beagle 2

God, that was amazing. Please tell me you were the person I climbed on the back of for the DANCE DANCE DANCE DANCE bit, we nailed it! (I was the speccy twat in the dennis the menace top)

Duckla Prague was one of my all time gig highlights.

I love you Blackwell.

Egyptian Feast

Beagle 2, you sound just like the guy I was dancing with - if you could call leaping around and screaming the words into each other's faces dancing -during 'For What Is Chatteris'. Can't remember what top he was wearing, but he was having a hell of a time.

Fantastic gig. I think I enjoyed it more than the last time I saw them in Blackpool, probably because I was less pissed and can actually remember most of it. The highlights for me would be the aforementioned number, 'Twenty Four Hour Garage People' and, of course, 'Everything's AOR'.

Beagle 2

Oh that was absolutely amazing, I'd been stood resting for a while before they played that and it was straight back into the moshpit for that one. It was a very good natured pit wasn't it? When people fell over there was a rush of well meaning bookish types crowding round immediately to lift them back up.

I'm going to have to do Manchester in January as well I think.

The Mumbler

A fabulous night, although as I never listen to their 80s stuff anymore, and haven't for years, it was weird hearing Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmuss, Trumpton Riots and Dukla Prague. Lovely moment at the end of the latter where the crowd added the extra 'Err!' to 'transformer'.

They honestly have one of the best back catalogues in pop, and so I can hardly complain if The Light At the End of the Tunnel or Eno Collaboration didn't get an airing. The extra lyrics to things like A Country Practice and 24 Hour Garage People were almost worth the price of admission alone.

My first Biscuit gig, remarkably, but it won't be the last.

Godzilla Bankrolls

I can't believe I travelled all that way and they didn't play Fretwork Homework. What a waste of my time.

Dark Poet

Listening to Cammell Laird Social Club again, this was an omission also:

http://rapidshare.com/files/154930212/10_27_Yards_Of_Dental_Floss.mp3.html

And that's more a complement to their back catalogue than anything else.

The Mumbler

27 Yards is fab.

Is the fanbase a bit lukewarm towards Cammell Laird in general? I found quite a lot of sniffy reviews around online, but it's a more consistent album than the latest one, if I'm honest. The only time I was remotely bored last night was during Blue Badge Abuser, which is a bit of a plodder for me.

Dark Poet

"Last Sunday I did a Desert Island Discs-style programme on Radio Kent with Roger Day, who got me on the show to play ten of my favourite songs.  It went really well, apart from the fact they didn't play my two favourites: 'No Bulbs' by The Fall and 'Lord Hereford's Knob' by Half Man Half Biscuit. Apparently they couldn't find them, which is a poor effort when they're readily available on iTunes.  I suppose it was a Sunday afternoon in Kent, but I did warn them it wasn't going to be Andy Williams and Frank Sinatra.

I kicked off with 'Don't Stop Me Now' by Queen, then followed it up with the Stones and 'Brown Sugar' (which is a given) and some Bob Dylan and AC/DC.  I played a stunning rock 'n' roll song called 'Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress' by The Hollies, 'One Way Out' by the Allman Brothers, 'Saturn 5' by Inspiral Carpets before finishing with 'Bend and Break' by Keane (apparently their new stuff is sensational by the way).

If I'd had 11 choices I'd have played' Looking For A Kiss' by New York Dolls, but it was a solid hour of air guitar. Kent was certainly rocking on Sunday afternoon!"

http://www.skysports.com/experts/expert_story/0,19793,12933_4262217,00.html

Well done, Bumble.