Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:44:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Replacements

Started by Garfield And Friends, June 05, 2005, 09:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Tommy Stinson. Chris Mars. Bob Stinson. Paul Westerberg.

They started off as a decent hardcore band in the very early 80s but what really made them grow was the sublime talent of their frontman, Paul Westerberg. Westerberg was and is a fucking awesome songwriter, both in terms of the music and lyrical content. I heart him! Westy's voice is utterly affecting. Always singing his fucking guts out on the fast rock'n'roll songs and singing his goddamn heart out on the beautiful, thoughtful, tender songs. That's how it should be!

There's plenty of lore surrounding The Replacements, many tales of shambolic drunken rock'n'roll performances, their failure to reach the top of the music pile, and of course the sad demise of Bob Stinson to drugs. The various surviving members of The 'Mats (as they were/are known to their fans) went on the have solo careers. Paul Westerberg continues to have a respectable self-recording solo career (more uneven, quality-wise in comparison to The Replacements days, but still very good) and has recently had a "Best Of" collection released entitled 'Besterberg' (Don't start there - start with some of The 'Mats mid-80s albums - 'Let It Be'/'Tim'/'Pleased To Meet Me').

Awesome, awesome band. (For me, tied with Roxy Music as Best. Band. Ever!) I'm just pissed that I never got to see them play live (as do loads of similarly-latecoming converts).

The rock snob in me :-P says not to tell people about The 'Mats, like some rare gem. Silly, I know. Their complete back catalogue is often hard to buy, but //www.amazon.co.uk often have Canadian/US sellers providing the CDs at low prices. Well worth a few pound notes. BUY now. "Do it! Do it!"

dan dirty ape

Another of those bands that I've been meaning to check out further for ages. I love 'Tim', especially 'Bastards Of Young' and 'West Of The Dial'. As you say, Westerburg is a deservedly revered lyricist. What's the early early stuff like? I'm interested to hear how they progressed from titles like 'Gary's Got A Boner' to stuff like 'The Ledge'. (Is it called 'The Ledge'? Song about a suicide, only heard it once)

waxed by nature

Kind of lost touch with what Paul Westerberg has been doing. The only post Replacements stuff i have is 14 Songs and Suicaine Gratification. Is he doing anything worthwhile ?

Whilst The Replacements were never my 'favourite band', i always enjoyed it when i discovered another of their albums. Still very much listened too and admired.

Quote from: "dan dirty ape"'West Of The Dial'.
Left Of The Dial! :)

Quote from: "dan dirty ape"What's the early early stuff like? I'm interested to hear how they progressed from titles like 'Gary's Got A Boner' to stuff like 'The Ledge'. (Is it called 'The Ledge'? Song about a suicide, only heard it once)
Their early stuff sounds like a wilder version of Minneapolis co-horts Hüsker Dü. "Gary's Got A Boner" (which is more of a mid-career track) is a very fun brainless rocker (which is one side of The Replacements), and "The Ledge" is the another side, more contemplative. 'The Ledge' covers a subject that is so easily mishandled in less-capable hands, but Westerberg and the boys really made a brilliant song there.

Quote from: "waxed by nature"The only post Replacements stuff i have is 14 Songs and Suicaine Gratification. Is he doing anything worthwhile ?
Definitely. BUY "Stereo/Mono". It's great. His most recent (home basement recorded) studio album was 2004's "Folker". "Folker" isn't exactly 'folk' but it's more mellow for sure. 'As Far As I Know', 'Lookin' Up In Heaven' and 'My Dad' are stand-out tracks for that album.

Goldentony

i quite like the replacments, 'let it be' is a fucking lovely album, its a bit sexy.

tommy stinson's 'village gorilla head' is really good aswell, annnnd he's recording another album as we type.

Labian Quest

Didn't they do a version of 'Another girl, another planet'?

waxed by nature

Thanks for that GAF. Just out of interest is he clean and what kind of stuff is he writing about ?

Quote from: "Labian Quest"Didn't they do a version of 'Another girl, another planet'?
Yep.

Quote from: "waxed by nature"Thanks for that GAF. Just out of interest is he clean and what kind of stuff is he writing about ?
As in 'Parental Advisory: Explicit Lyrics' or as in 'sober/drug-free'? I'm guessing you mean the latter (since the former was never really a prob for Westy), in which case he's supposed to be quite cleaned-up these days, what with having to be a father to a young son. It also explains his lack of extensive touring these days too (he hates being away from his son for long periods). I'd love to see Paul tour the UK again, if only to the main ports of call.

He's writing about, well, everyday things, I suppose. "My Dad" off Folker is, naturally enough, about his father. It's a lovely song dedicated to his old man, who unfortunately never got to hear the song before passing away from a lung condition (can't remember the specifics).

LadyDay

Westerberg played London a few months ago, and Tommy toured around the same time.

and Tim is the greatest name for an album since..............ever

Gamma Ray

I saw The Replacements Stink in a rekord shop once and was quite taken with the track list -

1. Kids Don't Follow
2. Fuck School
3. Stuck In The Middle
4. God Damn Job
5. White And Lazy
6. Dope Smokin Moron
7. Go
8. Gimme Noise

Why I didn't buy it I don't know. Looks like they also did a long player called Sorry Ma, forgot to take out the trash. I'm sure that I downloaded a Replacements track once and it sounded completely different to how I expected.

LadyDay

Oh dear god! Prays for a tour

The Replacements back after 16 years

US indie legends The Replacements have reformed to record new songs for a forthcoming Best Of compilation.

Frontman Paul Westerberg, guitarist Tommy Stinson and drummer Chris Mars reunited to put together 'Message To The Boys' and 'Pool & Dive', their first new tracks in 16 years. They will appear on 'Don't You Know Who I Think I Was?: The Best of the Replacements', out June 13.

Session drummer Josh Freese was behind the kit for the new recordings, the first since the 1990 album 'All Shook Down'.

Mars, who in recent years has foregone music for an art career, contributed backing vocals. The songs were written by Westerberg and were recorded at the producer Ed Ackerson's Flowers studio in Minneapolis, reports Billboard. It's as yet unclear as to whether a full reunion will take place.

Meanwhile, the band's long-awaited box set is still in the planning stages and will not be out until 2007 at the earliest. The label putting out this compilation, Rhino, is also working on expanded editions of The Replacements' studio albums.

The tracklisting for the compilation is:

'Takin' A Ride'
'Shiftless When Idle'
'Kids Don't Follow'
'Color Me Impressed'
'Within Your Reach'
'I Will Dare'
'Answering Machine'
'Unsatisfied'
'Here Comes A Regular'
'Kiss Me On The Bus'
'Bastards of Young'
'Left of the Dial'
'Alex Chilton'
'Skyway'
'Can't Hardly Wait'
'Achin' To Be'
'I'll Be You'
'Merry Go Round'
'Message to the Boys'
'Pool & Dive'

Don't I know! Don't I know!

I would give my third nipple to see The Replacements live! I'm not going to get my hopes up for a tour (or even anything beyond this recent news) though.

I'm really looking forward to the big boxset next year - especially for the videos of their Old Grey Whistle Test and Saturday Night Live performances. My copies are grainy shite so a brand spanking DVD of The 'Mats in action would do super nicely. I still love their video to "Bastards Of Young". Great statement!

LadyDay

I saw them a few times and they really are one of my favourite ever live bands. I had a proper fangirl spazz when I read that and I'm not generally prone to spazzes.
They have to tour!

Initially I thought it peculiar that Chris Mars not providing the drums for these two songs was a bit strange, but quickly remembered that his art career is his sole focus now (and it's very lucrative for him too - his works go for many thousands a pop).

I wish Slim Dunlap wasn't busy with his band too. He was a great, er, replacement, for the late and superb Bob Stinson.

Still, this news is very cool! Jee, but each time I see a new piccy of Paul he looks disproportionately older and older. Doesn't matter as long as he keeps playing and writing, mind.

LadyDay

It's just been pointed out to me that they probably won't play Manchester.

I'll just have to make friends with a Londoner. The things you have to do..

RE: Slim Dunlap

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2006/03/30/1512975-ap.html
'
Original guitarist Bob Stinson, Tommy's older brother, died in 1995. His replacement, Slim Dunlap, wasn't asked to play on the sessions, but said he never expected a call.
"It's really neat they put aside their little squabbles and did it," Dunlap told the Star Tribune.

'

Sounds like no hard feelings there.

First double post! Stupid mofo server... the cobblestones for you!

http://www.rhino.com/store/ProductDetail.lasso?Number=70013
"Don't You Know Who I Think I Was? The Best Of The Replacements"

The Rhino website now has clips of the NEW songs! I've heard the short clips of 'Message To The Boys' and 'Pool & Dive' and ... they sound grrreat! Real 'Mats energy there! Some lovely harmony vocals on 'Pool & Dive'.

This is a MUST BUY for me. I'm happy. Yeah!

[bumped to avoid derailing the current Guns n' Roses thread]

I really ought to have contributed to this thread.  I love The Replacements.  I even love most of their respective solo works.  That said, I've still not heard the semi-official 'Shit Hits The Fans', but it's allegedly pretty bad.

I'm convinced that Tommy Stinson is in the current Guns n' Roses as he's probably being paid a decent retainer.  Although not as creative, it's got to be more fanancially rewarding than his post-Replacements work has been.  (Pure speculation, of course).

I still haven't managed to get my head fully around his 'Village Gorilla Head' album.  Although, somewhere above, Goldentony says it's good.  What's that about another solo album?  I'm assuming with the Guns n Roses happening again and this far down the line, that's not happening.

Anybody bought any of the recent Replacements expanded reissues?

Cack Hen

they're one of my favourite bands!

the reissues are mostly excellent, the remastering on all the albums is really good, they even made Tim not sound quite so shit. i mean i love love love Tim but it's like they recorded the best album ever and got jacknife lee to produce it. the extra tracks on tim are good too, the raw demo version of kiss me on the bus shits on the original from a very great height. but here comes a regular is just perfect, that hasn't changed.

reissues aside, westerberg easily fits alongside the canon of great american songwriters. perhaps even the most underrated. and the OP is spot on about his vocal performances, there's probably never been a better vocal performance on a rock song than on 'unsatisfied'. truly heartbreaking.

The new remasters didn't include the track "Learn How To Fail". I loved that track, and always wanted a high quality official release of it. Ah well.

By the way, Paul Westerberg has a few new digital-only audio tracks for sale through online retailers. I'm sure that Amazon should have 'em.

Every so often, LastFM plays me tracks from a companion release to 'Besterberg' called 'Resterberg' containing some alternate cuts and leftovers.  I've yet to find a CD.  Was this a download only thing from his site too?

Ah, yeah:  Just remembered... Years ago, I read about a Replacements release called 'Boink'.  I've never seen one.  A quick look on Google tells me that was a compilation of leftovers/alternate tracks.  Is there anything on there not included as bonus cuts on the recent remasters?

Was Westerberg's distinct adolescent snarl an influence on the radio friendly unit shifting Kurt Cobain?