Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:38:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig Review Thread

Started by european son, March 02, 2004, 01:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elderford

MUM

Absolutely charming walking pace noodling from Iceland. Saw them last Friday, didn't peak as such, but sonically very pleasing (accordian, powerbook, drummer, violin, cello, electric guitars, bass, and a breathless female singer).

Altho' I frown upon reviews comparing one band to another; I would say that it had hints of mature Talk Talk, and they had done their homework with the Brian Eno ambient back catalogue.

Ladies in the band (and the boys) are all young and attractive enough to give them a high profile, and with the Icelandic quirk-bjork connection, they could well be destined for greater things.

Well worth it if you fancy something other than youfs recreating garage-rock.

I am reminded of John Cale's quote about fast songs being frivolous.

mr rou-rou

it was real :/ ? I thought it was just creative writing/rumour mill stuff between you and IL as a jape.

That's a real intimate treat for the fans right enough, how did you get tipped off to that then or was it a competition prize?

I was looking for IL but couldn't spot him, but I've only the memory of a reet spazzy image of him to compare.

european son

Quote from: "mr rou-rou"That's a real intimate treat for the fans right enough, how did you get tipped off to that then or was it a competition prize?

the cracked-up-but-talented popster posts on the pretentious-but-informative fansite messageboard now and again at thelibertines.org, giving information on gigs and releases, secret or otherwise.

Peter does lots of little gigs here and there, as imitation said, as a handy tax-free way to get some drug money, sometimes the rest of the band join him, sometimes they don't.

it's a horrible, messy Network54 board (kids today eh?), and Peter's login is heavyhorse (ahem). (watch out for witty kids with logins such as heavyhorse_, .heavyhorse and the like).

the dot orgers probably don't like the news of their board being spread far and wide, but i couldn't live with myself knowing that Peking O might miss out on a secret gig because he didn't hear about it in time.

Frinky

http://www.andrewkendall.com/pages/photogallery/picturedisplay.php?id=42&picturenumber=38

IL, if this is you, I wish to put our past bad blood behind us, and would also like to propose marriage. Thankyou.

monkhouse terror

Come on then immy, tell us which one you are. I want to know whether I'm prettier than you.

fanny splendid

Quote from: "Frinky"http://www.andrewkendall.com/pages/photogallery/picturedisplay.php?id=42&picturenumber=38

IL, if this is you, I wish to put our past bad blood behind us, and would also like to propose marriage. Thankyou.

That guitar is rather pretty.

imitationleather

I don't know what ones I'm in because I haven't quite worked up the courage to look yet. It'll be like watching a video of yourself on LSD post-trip or something...

Wait until I'm next half cut and online (which is bound to be tomorrow afternoon or something) and then I'm sure I'll let you know...

mr rou-rou

the Rapture , May 6th, Manchester Academy 2

that makes them look like they don't have a sense of humour

Rockin', hard to find words really, just if anyone is going to see them soon in Sheffield or Nottingham you should be in for a top treat, if that are anything like they were tonight you'll be aching from either being bounced around the crowd or from grooving away on the periphery, infectious drums and basslines, beware.

Again, great drummer, I diagnose that boy with rhythm autism, grinning away and dancing all over the skins and pedals pounding out some tight beats, nice.

The two alternating vocalists, the guitarist and bass player have loads of energy and a nice relaxed stage presence. The guitarist has in my opinion a cheeky Gene Wilder look about him, oo cheeky chappie, and the bass player has a little look of Rick Moranis, what a combo, people will pay money to see that.

both these real player videos contain live footage, this one being

House of Jealous Lovers

&

Sister Savoir

top live band, result

mayer

The Libertines (well, Peter and Carlos), May 6th, Filthy McNasties

The Libertines - What Katie Did - Filthy McNasties 12.4MB .wmv

photographer Andrew Kendall "exhibition" (just some photos blown up and stuck around a small pub in Angel), kicked off with a performance on the first night.

i'll let imitationleather write a better review... i'll just say it was great fun,  songs were stripped down to two guitars and vox, but were as class as usual and there was lots of chat and singalongs.

Johnny Yesno

I went to see McLusky on Wednesday night in Brighton. Powerful stuff although it sagged a bit in the middle. If they'd kept up the power all the way through it would have been mind blowing.
As well as being powerful they are quite funny. Lyrical highlights were "Our ex-singer is a sex criminal," "Wooohh! Woooh! Everywhere I look there's The Darkness," and "All of your friends are cunts, your mother is a ball-point pen thief".
Great bass sounds too.
Sorry, this isn't a review. Just an enthuse really.

mr rou-rou

I'm glad they were good Johnny, me and Fanny went to see them in the Roadhouse last month and what had the potential to be a top night turned out to be me and Fanny drinking booze and feigning polite interest in the band's efforts, in truth the venue was half full to be generous, they had two crappy support bands and ... and something else negative that escapes me.

They were worth a few chuckles though, the lead singer should maybe consider doing a little bit of standup as part of the act.

bit of a pisser really because I like a good handful of their songs but it was an embarrassing gig.

Mixed reviews then :)

imitationleather

The Libertines
Filthy MacNastie's

Well, mayer has already given a basic outline of what was goin' down last night, so I'll just add my own thoughts.

We were all crammed into an extremely hot and sweaty room. Pete and Carl came on, both wearing hats and fought their way to the front. It was impossible for anyone past the first couple of rows to catch sight of them because there was no raised stage at all. Oh yes, this was yet another intimate gig by Pete Doherty.

However, the atmosphere felt different at this one. It was far jollier than the one in his bedroom because I didn't have the heavy feeling in my stomach that all I was doing was feeding his habit, and also Pete looked far healthier and seemed happier. This was The Libertines at their most chatty. Usually they keep words to a minimum between songs, but last night they talked to the crowd, even taking a break from the music to do an impromptu press conference without the press. Carl eventually took his hat off but Pete kept his on (he's apparently not very fond of his skinhead). It then arose that Carl was now the owner of a ponytail, which prompted Pete to quip, "Why is it called a ponytail? Because you lift it up and there's an arsehole underneath." This joking shows just how different the mood was to other Libertines gigs I've been to.

After a few songs some people started shouting, "Gary! Gary! Gary!" as The Libertines' drummer appeared. He wasn't playing (there was no room for his drums to go, for a start) but it was nice to see him anyway. Then Carl hosted a raffle (which he did very well, a future career for when it all goes belly up maybe?). The prize? Why, it was a photo of the absent member, John.

Musically, despite missing two members, they were great. They played a mixture of covers, Libertines and Babyshambles stuff. Covers consisted of 'Dream a Little Dream of Me', 'I Remember When' by The Coral and 'It's Getting Hot in Herre' by Nelly (and boy, was it!).

After about an hour and a quarter it all came to an end and the band shot off. The walls which were covered in Libertines prints were stripped by fans looking for a souvenir (no, I didn't take anything) which sort of fucks up the exhibition which is meant to last for another two weeks.

All in all, yet another fantastic evening. You lot need to start going to these, because you really have no idea what you're missing.

mayer

Quote from: "imitationleather"The Libertines
Filthy MacNastie's

Mr. Kendall's Photos from the night

(all of the two la's onstage this time i'm afraid)

mr rou-rou

these sound like great nights out, I wish I had the levels of enthusiasm you two have for a band.

The non-bald one is not the junkie is he, then why does he have a look of a young handsomer Shaun Ryder in some of those shots?

At least you'll know in years to come, probably after sick boy's O.D, the consequent book and later the documentary, what is fact and what is myth regarding these nights.

Are these intimate gigs a London thing then, de rigeur amongst hip and happening bands? I can't imagine them happening in Manchester, everything is so tame, perhaps they do happen but I'm just out of touch with anything vaguely underground and edgy. I've been to some top squat parties around here but they were ecstasy/acid related and happened back in the early to mid 90's.

I must be twisted but I like the fact he plays for skag, it should be desperate and visceral but somehow it feels middle class, I know nothing about them (Libertines) but somehow modern rock'n'roll stories don't have the glamour of their 60's counterparts.

Still it's an interesting read

imitationleather

Lots of bands, even ones who can't even really sell out large venues, are playing secret gigs at the moment. The Libertines, however, are the only band who seem to be doing them every fookin' week. They do seem to all be based mainly around London, but then again I haven't really been actively trying to find out whether or not there's anything going on in Manc. Pete's solo band, Babyshambles, are playing in Preston and Leeds on Sunday and Monday respectively.

The non-bald one, Carl, isn't a junkie as far as I know, but that by no means he's a teetotaller who has never let any intoxicating substance enter his body. Although my opinons have a popbitch level of credibility, I'd say that Carl too if not on the skag and crack regular, at least dabbles in it.

I've just looked at those photos and Pete looks much worse in them than he did on the night. I think he just looks so ill because of not having any hair.

mayer

Dream a Little Dream from the aforementioned gig. shocking sound from the first mike, but worth it for Carl's attempts at tap dancing.

Frinky

Sorry... but he's quite the poster child, isnt he?

Not my image, btw.

imitationleather

Quote from: "mayer"Dream a Little Dream from the aforementioned gig. shocking sound from the first mike, but worth it for Carl's attempts at tap dancing.

Haha, that clip is great. Oh, it's all come flooding back to me now...

God bless the digital camcorder.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: "mr rou-rou"I like a good handful of their songs but it was an embarrassing gig.

Therein lies the problem, I think. A good handful of their songs are really exciting but I could sense people getting a bit bored during the other songs. I know light and shade is important but I'm not sure they should stray from frantic. I base this opinion purely on one album (McLusky Do Dallas) and that gig, so it could be bollocks.

imitationleather

The Others
Mean Fiddler

Another week, another breakthrough band. Every Saturday at Mean Fiddler now FROG gets an up and coming band to play a set at 1am. It was Razorlight last week, The Others this week and the band for next week probably haven't even formed yet.

The Others are a band with a reputation that precedes them. A group of fans, known as the 853 posse, follow them around, invading the stage and then diving off it through-out the gig. The band obviously realise what a valuable tool of promotion this group are, and reguarly the singer, Dominic, leads a chant of, "853! 853! 853!" This leads to a feeling of cliqueyness that I imagine would be daunting or just downright annoying for a casual observer. But for the people who are actually part of it, it is clearly pure excitement, the feeling of really being part of the band and sharing their success.

The atmosphere is electric right from the off, as soon as they start playing the crowd goes mad. Everyone jumps around, falling over eachother. The first few people start invading the stage, aided by Dominic. I don't think I've ever seen a reaction like this to a band who haven't even released a single yet. The gig goes on and the crowd gets more and more excited. They end with their debut single that is released tomorrow, 'This is for the Poor', which is greeted by an en masse stage invasion, which I am part of. Then it's over, in less than half an hour. A very short gig, but really, I don't think my body could have coped with much more.

To be there it was just amazing. It wasn't really about the music, it was purely about the atmosphere. Infact, I'd say that their music doesn't really even translate that well to records. The Others seem to be destined to be one of those bands where the people who were there say they were brilliant, but the people who weren't insist they were nothing special.

I'm not sure how long they can remain exciting for. Soon the constant chaos at their gigs will become horribly predictable, and as the venues get larger the atmosphere will become diluted. But nevermind, I'm just going to enjoy them whie I still can.

mayer

c'ept The Others, whilst not a total load of wank, aren't actually very good either. they're very self-concious about trying to be part of some "scene" that doesn't really exist. their lyrics are rubbish too.

demo version of their debut single....

The Others - This Is For The Poor

whilst it's not terrible, it's certainly not any better than say, Cast, ever were.

imitationleather

Yes. Like I said, it's not about the music, it's about the atmosphere.

mayer

Quote from: "imitationleather"Yes. Like I said, it's not about the music, it's about the atmosphere.

i agree there's something to be said for pure atmosphere, but a pop group really needs the tunes to back it up, and if you're gonna be one place for atmosphere in North London this weekend, it weren't gonna be the LA2

(26-12-0 !!!!!!!!!!!!! )

axel

Going to see Graham Coxon tomorrow, will let you all know how it was.

axel

Well that was the sweatiest gig i've ever been to. The Cockpit was like a sauna.
Apart from losing my bodyweight in sweat, the gig also made me deaf for a few hours. Graham's guitar playing was loud and fantastic!
Despite all this the gig was just ok. Maybe i was tired, but some of his songs sound a bit samey. After about an hour i could almost tell which bits would appear next in each song. Here's the tuneful intro, the thrashy guitar bit and then the Blur-esque vocals. Mind you i do like all that, so when he finished with a fantastic version of 'When I Reach For My Revolver' and 'Freakin' Out' i was in a peculiar version of indie heaven.
If you like indie guitars (like me), you'll like Graham Coxon.

mr rou-rou

seeing as the Libertines have been discussed in here, have you seen this? :)

http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_961391.html

QuoteLibertines band member Pete Doherty set to play Dot Cotton's missing son in upcoming Eastenders storyline

I for one can see the family resemblance, a daring move by the casting team ;)

Peking O

Maybe he should just write "Will work for smack" across his forehead?!

imitationleather

Next week Peking O will be pointing out that Stephen Hawking is in a wheelchair and sounds like a robot...

mr rou-rou

Phoenix – Manchester Academy 3 (the cosy one)

mystery support : Feist, yes muthafucker, Leslie Feist, no way was I expecting that, she's like a gentle Canadian PJ Harvey/Patti Smith/Joni Mitchell hybrid and bursting with personality and quite frankly she is another ugly woman (coincidently one of Peaches friends) I've fallen in love with I was so charmed by her that when the set finished I looked down and my pants were round my ankles.

Her set was just her and a guitar pedal and a particularly attractive looking guitar all performed in the style of an ironic rock busker, sweet floating voice, lovely stuff.

She's done a brilliantly catchy song called 'mushaboom' which I strongly recommend, I have to say her album didn't wow me but live she is a different beast....
and she kept smiling at me, but I was grinning like a fool while my internal dialogue kept saying 'stop seducing me'

If you get the chance to see her you should, she's really relaxed on stage and talks shit with/at the audience, oo I could have given her a big kiss.

link to her website: http://feistmusic.artistes.universalmusic.fr/
- -

Phoenix nonchalantly strolled on bolstered from a familiar four to a sextet by the addition of a drummer and keyboard player I've never seen before,

first song – Too Young, talk about premature ejaculation, it's probably the song that introduced everyone ever to Phoenix, but not me, I'm hardcore me. They released 'United' LP in 2000, so by my reckoning the front couple of rows were aged 14 when it was released, but not me, I'm hardcore me.

It was just a great blend of the two albums, old and new, with the crowd really appreciating every song with woops and applause, you could see from the bands face that they weren't quite expecting the reception they got, but what do you expect if you release a top album and then fuck off for four years?

I can't really describe their sound, it swings from fuzzy summer pop to funky disco rock, plus they are from France so you have a certain Gallic cool tweak on things.

They are not an attractive band though; two gargoyles, one stoner and a trucker.

The gargoyles are the spit of each other, the only difference being one has a beard, both were dressed in a George Michael from 'Faith' video stylee minus the sunglasses :/

The lead singer looks like a surly Parisian record store worker who's just too cool for school and probably gets drunk on spirits and smashes windows.

The bass player probably drives the tour bus when he isn't playing in the band.

There was a bloke stood near me taking digital photos so I passed him my email address and asked for a few to be emailed through, so there's an idea for you lot, prior to gigging write your email address down on a couple of bits of paper and approach friendly digital snappers for a few mementos. I'm not only hardcore but I'm full of good ideas, like the Family Circle magazine.

I'm starting to sober up but I was on a great high having a little dance and a sing-a-long, highlights being, Run Run Run, Victim of the Crime, Funky Square Dance, If I ever feel better (done as an encore and extended to run for about 10 minutes), you can't blame it on anybody (great sing along), Holdin' on Together, I am an actor (don't really like this one but done live it was great, and rockin), Alphabetical ,Everything is everything (the first single off the new LP), the slow and mellow 'Honeymoon' and the similarly blissed out 'On fire'

hooray for going out!! next up, the Pixies