Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:44:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig Review Thread

Started by european son, March 02, 2004, 01:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peking O

Quote from: "imitationleather"Next week Peking O will be pointing out that Stephen Hawking is in a wheelchair and sounds like a robot...

The 28th Rule of Journalism - always state the bleedin' obvious. I can't remember if it was you or someone else who took objection to my Libertines views before. Ah well, best not dredge it all up again eh?

mayer

Frinky

Ooo-ee-oooh, I look just like Buddy Holly.

mayer

Peking O

Crikey! Mayer/European Son/Lou - I think you should have some kind of job as 'board historian,' you're clearly paying incredibly detailed attention to everything that goes on here.

Frinky

This is a pretty, fluffy thread.

mayer

General Khaki - Night & Day Cafe - 20th May

the 'Khaki are great! a three-piece hailing from London, i caught them halfway through their "Shock and Awe" tour, and i was certainly blown away.

gorgeous bassist Kat provides brilliant punky-yet-interesting backing, but singer and guitarist Tommy Mack is the undisputed star of the show. his singing is perhaps less than brilliant, but as a frontman he's magnificent. all attitude and relentless punk spirit.

the songs are all 2-3 minute spiky anthems "Animal", "Bullets" and the standout "Good Guys Bad Guys". Bad Guys have a moustache/ride a camel and smoke hash. so, General Khaki are funny, but they know deep down that rock and roll is a serious business. Mack urges us to sign a petition to prevent the closing of the Night & Day, telling us "this is a war, and we're losing".

the last track "Swagger" ends up with Mack jumping off the stage, onto my table, smashing out chords with a don't-give-a-fuck sneer, before jumping back on to the stage, flinging away his guitar and marching off.

imitationleather

Christ, I fucking love going to gigs. Anyone with me?

Frinky

Me too, I also love gigs.

I'll hopefully have some photos from an upcoming Coxon gig, with a review.

mr rou-rou

edit: bite lip bite lip,

please play nice, twas a nice thread before bad vibes, can't you edit all of that bollocks out now all parties concerned have read it and we can get on with reviewing gigs

think fluffy

fanny splendid

A Couple of Blokes with guitars.

La Rioja, Altrincham, Sat 22nd may.

It was Peruvian magic, but without the panpipes. The South American charm flowed as freely as the wine during this weekly appearance of the two blokes with guitars. Dashing through such classics as, 'There's only one Alan Shearer (Calmara?)' and 'that other one which you have to clap really quickly too', the two blokes with guitars began to weave a magical web of saffron stained wonder through the smoky haze of the restaurant.

Mmm, olives and garlic-y, garlic-y bread. Remove the ponchos!

And so, as fast as part one had come to an end, part two started with all the pomp and enthusiasm of a bloody military coup. Hands clapped, and smiles were exchanged. Yard brush moustaches were wiggled, and young girls blushed. Okay, just one more Gin & Tonic...

Out in to the night we fell, happy amongst the stars, the excitement still grasping our weary bones as we walked the long way home...

Thank-you Altrincham, you town amongst the heavens, you.

mayer

Love Music, Hate Racism, Liverpool Academy, 30/5/04
Bloc Party/ Badly Drawn Boy/ The Music

i should really be reviewing this gig from a park in Manchester, but police "concerns" regarding trouble, saw the gig moved first to the MEN, and then inexplicably to Liverpool, meaning a short hop up the motorway was in order....

Bloc Party are first on, and they're fantastic. last single Banquet stands out in the set, but all of the songs are pretty nifty, the singer more wrestles with his guitar more than actually playing it, but he manages to force a fantastic sound from the thing. can't wait for the album.

we skip Haven and the next group before shuffling back in for Badly Drawn Boy. he kicks off with a few acoustic tunes, before getting the band on to funk stuff up. i used to love Badly Drawn Boy, but seem to have let the last two records pass me by. tonight i'm reminded exactly what drew me towards him in the first place. a charming approachabilty, together with tunes like "Once Around The Block" and "Everybody's Stalking" are enough to bring a tear to the eye.

The Music headline tonight, and they are remarkable. the set  is half songs from their eponymous debut, and half tasters for their forthcoming new LP. whereas the announcement of "another new song..." is usually enough to dissapoint a crowd into silence, that doesn't happen tonight. if new tracks Welcome To The North, I Need Love and Bleed From Within are any indication, the new LP will be one hell of a record.

the thing about singer Rob Harvey isn't just that you believe that he's feeling it on stage, rather than going through the motions, you believe it's impossible for him to do what he does up there without meaning every quirky dance and yelped vocal. oh yes, the singing, Harvey's voice is stunning, a high pitched squall that doesn't stray off-tune for a single second all night. distinctive and alluring in equal measures.

The Music, despite their look and instruments they play, are a dance band. not crossover, not indie, but full on dance. every song, especially the likes of The People and Getaway forces yours truly do to the only dancing he can, unfortunately that meant strutting on the spot interjected with jumping up-and-down like an idiot, but honestly, i really didn't have a choice.

mr rou-rou

interesting, I've forgotten about the music (as in the band called 'the music'), I'll have to dig that one out.

Mayer, Bloc Party are playing The Bierkeller in town on June the 11th, I'll be going along if only to hear Banquet face to face. Got my tickets booked, £13.20 for a pair.

there's the link if you want

mayer

Quote from: "mr rou-rou"
Mayer, Bloc Party are playing The Bierkeller in town on June the 11th, I'll be going along if only to hear Banquet face to face. Got my tickets books, £13.20 for a pair.

oooh... fiver plus booking fee is a bargain. i'm popping to london to vote on the 10th though, but i think i may well head straight back to manchester after.... i'll sort my train out tonight, and i might pop into town and buy a ticket tomorrow.

smoker

um, not too good at doing music reviews, so i'll keep this short and sweet.

last night i saw the incredible fingathing play. peter parker on scratching duty, sneaky on electric double bass and chris majore on visuals.

absolutely sublime, the music they play is un-pigeonhole-able. it's a fusion of jazz, hip hop, funk, soul, breakbeat and rock.

couple of tracks from the new album stood out such as synergy and telling you. then some old classics like superhero music and drunken master 2. they also indulged themselves quite heavily, lots of introspective jamming and bluesy stuff.

and they finished with an absolutely mental encore of black sabbath's iron man, which i've previously heard covered by nofx and the cardigans, but never with such originality and jump around-ability.

the crowd loved it, it was the hottest, sweatisest gig i've ever been to, absolute bliss. see them before they go through the roof

http://www.fingathing.com/index.asp

pandadeath

!!! - 93 Feet East, May 27th 2004

My second viewing of the greatest live band on the planet! Fuck yeah! The support was a pretty good DJ, playing the likes of Sonic Youth and a hell of a lot of grime records (you know, that whole scene) and then after an hour or so of that, chk chk chk came on!

They opened the set with an improvisation and it was freaking brilliant. Everybody dancing their asses off from the start, except for one old guy in a leather jacket on the front row, but I forgive him cause he's old. They went from that straight into Pardon My Freedom to which I screamed the lyrics

"LIKE I GIVE A FUCK! LIKE I GIVE A SHIT! LIKE I GIVE A FUCK! YOU CAN TELL THE PRESIDENT TO SUCK MY FUCKING DICK DOES THAT SOUND INTELLIGENT? WELL I DON'T GIVE A FUCKING FRICK"

The band then danced their way through a few new songs (Hello? Is this thing on; Dear Can) before getting into "the hits portion", which kicked off with their best song "Me and Guiliianni Down By The Schoolyard (A True Story)" and I was almost in tears when it got to the  "People always ask me, what's so fucking great about dancing?" part. I was in punk funk heaven. Then they played the biggest crowd pleaser, "Intensify" which got everyone pushing for a bit, but turned into some harmless dancing by minute 2 of the song.

All in all it was fucking fantastic! Get their album on June 7th and go and see them at Fabric in London on July something!

Chk Chk Chk fucking rule!

mr rou-rou

you lucky bastard :) I'd love to see !!! (chkchkchk) and Outhud, they are playing London (Fabric) and the Reading Festival and that's it for the UK, I hope they come round later in the year so I can have a wig out, the closest live act I've seen to their punk funk sound is the Rapture and they were excellent.

lucky lucky monkey

Abbie

Anyone else at the Pixies gig last night?

Twas one of the best gigs i've been to, they were ruddy marvellous!  Music was wonderful, crowd were elated, Kim Deal was cooler than ever - plus, it was the Pixies, on stage, in front of me!  Woo Yays all round.   I missed the support act because I was getting sozzled at the bar, but I was informed later, by someone that resembled Neil from the Young Ones, that they were a bit rubbish - best to make your own minds up on that though.  Only gripe of the evening is that they didn't play 'Where is my Mind'.

I still insist that Brixton Academy is one of the best venues, and i'm going to refuse to settle for anything less from now on.  I was a bit miffed at getting tix for the White Stripes at Ally Pally, and then more going on sale a few days later at Brixton Academy....but that's another story.

Bit worse for wear this morning, and i've got to go and watch Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azbekstan(?) in half an hour with the child.

** The 'Holocaust' exhibition at the Imperial War Museum was v.good too.

QuoteI still insist that Brixton Academy is one of the best venues

The best venue in London, I reckon.

Saw the Pixies, eh? Lucky lucky lucky. I tried, but failed.

Rev

Brickie Academy is the best music venue I've ever been to, bar none, and I would have been going to see the Pixies if so many freeloaders weren't committed to being on the guest list EVERY FUCKING NIGHT.  The same people!  EVERY NIGHT FOR ALL FOUR NIGHTS!  They won't bloody turn up, either.  I know they won't.  Jesus, it's enough to make you buy tickets.

TraceyQ

The Bees. Birmingham Academy 2. 11/06/04

They didnt so much make me shout "Yeah! Let's Rock!" as sigh "ah, bless".

Smashing way they switched instruments. You can tell they sooooo love the noise they make. Which is ok, 'cos I do too.

Overall rating: v.g.

Frinky

Quote from: "Abbie"...at getting tix for the White Stripes at Ally Pally, and then more going on sale a few days later at Brixton Academy....but that's another story.

It's ok, they were crap.

mayer

Campag Velocet 11th June 2004 Camden Barfly

Campag have been a bit noticeable by their absence since 1999's fantastic Bon Chic Bon Genre. dropped ignomiously by PIAS, it seemed that they were destined to go back where they came from, the filthy Camden backstreets.

thing is, Pete Voss and the boys are back. signed to Pointy Records, a new album It's Beyond Our Control is out on the 12th of July, and we lucky people get to hear most of it tonight.

the new stuff doesn't sound all that different to much of the first album, with new single Vindictive Disco fitting in perfectly with other set higlights Sauntry Sly Chic and To Lose La Trek (the worst pun ever? i think so).

Pete Voss's greatest charms are his dirty sleaze-filled lyrics, and dirtier still attitude. sometimes his voice struggles with the melodies a touch, and its probably a mixed blessing that they don't play their best song, the tune-laden last PIAS single, Vito Satan. they do play title track off the first LP though, and the Barfly erupts with kids old enough to know better yelping in broken French.

so, Campag are back then, and i hope that this time they're here to stay.

dan dirty ape

TOOTS & THE MAYTALS, Shepherd's Bush Empire, 7/6/04

As much as I love Toots and his interchangeable bunch of Maytals, I was a little apprehensive after forking out close to a score for a ticket.  Reviews of his new album, which this gig existed to promote, have been decidedly weak, the general consensus being it's a pointless set of overpolished rerecordings blighted by needless guest appearances from Eric Clapton and his ilk. I didn't wanna see Slowhand and chums emerge from the wings to put a chummy arm around Toots and then widdle all over 'Monkey Man', I wanted to skank, goddamit!

I needn't have worried. Despite the compere opening the show by plugging the new LP and reading out a list of its guest performers (did he say 'Ryan Adams' or 'Bryan Adams'? Please god, not the latter), which didn't bode well, all fears were soon vanquished once the great man and his band took to the stage. It became evident within seconds of the opener that Toots Hibbert still has the voice, a beautiful gravelly yet honeyed gospel holler, and (get ready, cliche police) a level of energy that would shame a performer half his age. (Dude's been making records since the early 60's, recorded the first song with 'reggay' <sic> in the title, for crying out loud)

The hits were all duly played, highlights including a joyous 'Sweet & Dandy', his showstopping cover of 'Country Roads Take Me Home', and of course '54-56 That's My Number'. Absolutley sublime. All this, and Toots hyping the crowd singing the between song patter. 'You've all come here toniiiiight..white and black...to gaze upon me handsome feeeeee-aaaaaaaaaace!'

TOOOOOOOOOOTS!

Frinky

Graham Coxon, Electric Ballroom, Tues 8th June

It's a bit scary going to see your number one hero in life live. Especially when said hero was sacked from your favourite band for being a skanky drunk.

However, the Coxon is a changed man. He's a lot happier and louder and brighter than he was before. Even last April at the Royal Festival Hall, he was mumbly and awkward... He's very different now. It doesn't take long before I remember that GC is happy here becuase he's doing this for a laugh. He doesn't need the money. He's had the fame, and he hated it. He's not out to sell records, becuase he didn't much care how the last 4 did.

His songs are delivered with shocking aplomb, there are bands heavier and harder than Coxon, but reasons I'm yet to fathom, he blows them all out of the water. It's the only gig that I've ever been to that required a full 4 days for my ears to recoever from. Listening to these songs, which branch, more or less, old-school metal, 60's pop, and a bit of US rock, and grounds inbetween, it's impossible to reconcile him with any stage of Blur, although this stark contrast feels entirely natural. The setlist is fantastic - he covers all 5 of his albums, and only does about 5 or 6 songs off the new album - again, he plays what he wants to, becase that's why he's here. He has a lot more energy than before, too; Graham star jumps and leaps all over the place. He thrusts his guitars in the air. He pulls Jimmy Page poses. He throws himself onto his back, backward rolls, and leaps into the air, never stopping playing the whole time. If it wasn't for the fact he's been wearing the same clothes for the last 7 years, I wouldn't even know who it is. The change is incredbly exciting, though.

Graham's trademark shitty, dischordant, messed up, effects-ridden solos are all delightful horror on the ear, if music is sexual, then this is S+M. He detunes his guitar, pulls the loose string out with his thumb, and presses it into the fretboard with his finger, raking madly with his pick. Anyone can do this, true, but when you couple great songs, scary noise, and enthusiastic delivery, thats when you have something special.

All the songs were essentially perfect, the encore the most blistering, noisy part of the night, with an extra long "Who The Fuck" becoming a slightly surreal singalong.

Support that night was from the suprisingly good Cathy Davey - the songs are nice, but she puts on an effected voice, which, like the singer from JJ72's, is intruiging at first but soon grates. That said, she's worth checking out. The suprise support was from the Futureheads, who I'd read about and wanted to check out, and all of a sunder, they were in front of me. An aqquired taste, perhaps, but great amounts of fun. Four northern guys beating up Telecasters and mixing vocal harmonies with songs about robots that are less than two mins long? How could it be bad? The mix between Davey, the Futureheads and the sheer mess of Coxon's setlist made it an incredible night. I'd lose my hearing in a month, but I'd go to this gig every night again untill I did.

So yeah. Best Gig Ever.

mr rou-rou

nice review, a few smirksome lines in there, I like the one about the clothes,

I saw Coxon supporting the Pixies and I was so underwhelmed that I sat down and found myself looking for constellations in the moles on my arm, I found an easy Orion and a near perfect 'the plough', so it wasn't all bad ;)

best bit of your review is the fact you are a fan, enthusiasm goes a long way doesn't it.

Frinky

Yeah, I guess as a fan I was looking foward to it a lot more, so I enjoyed it more. I'm not sure what he played there, here he played a couple of his more immediate songs, but I'll admit that the ones I enjoyed the most were the idiosyncratic, slightly dodgy ones that had warmed on me over a period of time. His albums usually get about 3/5 in the presses, so I suppose he's an aquired taste. I think I like him because he's the polar opposite to nearly all of the music I listen to, and he introduced me to a hell of a lot of things (and I started playing becuase of him). But if you're new to him, I could well understand your being underwhelmed.

I'm sure he works better in smaller venues, too.

Jet Set Willy

Grand National - The Garage, Islington

We hadn't bought tickets in advance, but the big burly (buxom) bouncer said that it didn't look like getting sold out so we went to get some cheap drinks before going in at ten. So that's what we did.
It seemed a bit empty at first, and the beer was frightenly expensive. Some guy stumbled on with stupid hair. We thought he was a sound technician and were suprised at his front in starting to play some songs. He had a very annoying voice. Apparently he was the lead singer of the band that was meant to be on before Grand National, but the band were stuck on the M25. Anyway, he was shit and annoying.
A bit later than expected, Grand National appeared on the stage. There were six of them; two guitarists, singer, bassist, drummer, and guitarist/synth player. They all had microphones for singing into, plus there were two supplementary microphones, which I rightly assumed were for the horn section.
They started with a couple of songs that I don't really know yet, off the album. I was a little worried, they were playing really loudly with none of the subtlety and rhythmic flair so apparent on most of the songs on the album. They just seemed like the average indie band. But...
Four songs into the set it all picked up. The guitars stopped being thrashy and they started playing the kind of music I like them for. Tight rhythm section, nice guitar sounds and songs that you can't help tapping your feet to. A trumpeter and trombonist arrived on stage, which was really good as well, though the trumpet solo was drowned out on 'Playing in the Distance'. The sound quality was pretty dire generally actually. Still good though.
They ended with the excellent 'Cherry Tree' which had quite a few people dancing. The crowd was generally quite reserved, everyone nodding their heads and a few people subtly grooving, while I couldn't get the grin off my face.
So, yes, after an unpromising start it was really good. The singer wasn't what I had expected at all though. He has black hair in a mullet and a nose ring. I was able to look past  these eventually though, as he proved that he wasn't the cock that he looked.

8/10

hoverdonkey

The Divine Comedy (well, Neil Hannon and a couple of helpers)
Bloomsbury Theatre, London

Bloomin' marvellous. Small venue on a basic little stage, Neil was at his witty best and sang beautifully. It was just him and his guitar with a pianist and cellist. The stripped down version of Generation Sex and 'Becoming More Like Alfie' were great but he also did some fine covers, including 'Moon River' and the Flaming Lips' 'Do You Realise'.

He was on for nearly 2 hours. Really very fine. Albert Hall with a full orchestra later in the year will be something special.

morgs

Red Hot Chili Peppers, Hyde Park.  Saturday 19th June

Well, I'll keep this one to the point.  Plenty of good songs chosen so setlist gets 8/10.  
Quality of musicianship 9/10 - a few out of tune lines but mostly excellent
Banter in-between songs minimal or just plain odd.  5/10
Sound quality 0/10 -
ABSOLUTELY SHITE  Not loud enough to get much of an atmosphere - people streaming out before the end.  Disappointing and not worth my forty quid.