Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:10:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghostbusters 6: Frozen Empire (2024)

Started by Bad Ambassador, November 08, 2023, 04:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

SteveDave

Quote from: phantom_power on March 22, 2024, 08:58:06 PMThis just in: It's alright

Agreed. Felt like a long episode of "The Real Ghostbusters" with too many characters brought in from the last one who are in New York and living with strangers despite them being teenagers from the country.

Lemon and herb peril.

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: Mister Six on March 20, 2024, 02:01:30 PMSaw a bit of the second trailer. Ant-Man said "Bustin' makes..." then Carrie Coon said "No, don't," then Ant-Man finished "Bustin' makes me feel good."

Even if that made sense for fictional characters in a universe where the Ghostbusters movie never existed, it still wouldn't be funny.

You're forgetting that Ghostbusters II establishes Ray Parker Jr.'s Ghostbusters song exists in their universe (though I assume the music video is different)

Mister Six

I forgot that so hard I still can't remember it. I should rewatch it some time.

idunnosomename

It is used diegetically at the birthday party, Ray and Winston sing along to a tape playing the song.

Some might say that was rather indulgent too although I guess it serves as a bit of exposition

phantom_power

Quote from: SteveDave on March 23, 2024, 03:35:28 AMAgreed. Felt like a long episode of "The Real Ghostbusters" with too many characters brought in from the last one who are in New York and living with strangers despite them being teenagers from the country.

Lemon and herb peril.

Yeah. I decided at the start I would not worry about logic or any of that stuff and it made it a lot better. I thought Kumail and Acaster were the best things in it and I found the peripheral stuff more than some of the main plot like the stuff with Phoebe.

I would say it was better than Afterlife and probably the second-best Ghostbusters film, though that is a low bar to get over

Shaky

It's absolutely what you'd expect from a GB film and occasionally very good. Nice to see Aykroyd have much more to do and give one of the old guard a bit of depth. Too many busters but they - just about - managed to give them all a moment or two. Nostalgia wise it was fine, and at least didn't have characters verbatim repeating famous lines from 40 years ago.

Not sure about Acaster - he was either a welcome odd presence or appalling, I can't decide. He looked the part but his diction is so splashy while basically spouting jargon.

I'd already decided in my head there would be a
Spoiler alert
callback with the library guy from the original and by gum, there he was!
Spoiler alert
[close]
[close]

Dex Sawash

I got an email to watch trailer and answer 3 quiz questions after to win a free ticket.

Got the 3rd one wrong about what the ghosts wanted to inflict on NY. The correct answer was apparently some bollocks about winter which has fuckall to do with ghosts and sounded like obvious wrong answer.

madhair60

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 23, 2024, 02:21:06 PMI got an email to watch trailer and answer 3 quiz questions after to win a free ticket.

Got the 3rd one wrong about what the ghosts wanted to inflict on NY. The correct answer was apparently some bollocks about winter which has fuckall to do with ghosts and sounded like obvious wrong answer.

you mean the movie Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire

Goldentony

I refuse to believe this has any potential to be good like anybody is describing so far, I simply cannot conceive of the idea

popcorn

Everything about this film looks and sounds like DLC

dontpaintyourteeth

Mister Six

Mr Banlon

kalowski

Quote from: druss on January 22, 2024, 08:21:42 AMI saw the original dozens of times as a kid but I guess I probably just have nostalgia for the cartoon I never watched.
I liked when Gene Deitch took over the cartoons.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: madhair60 on March 23, 2024, 02:42:44 PMyou mean the movie Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire

Can see that now in hindsight, never looked past the semicolon as I thought it might say "now with even more girls"

popcorn

I can't help but think the title Frozen Empire seems to be horribly apt... you know... for a media empire... that is frozen... with shitness.

surreal

Really thought this was poor tbh, which disappoints me hugely as the original cast are not getting any younger.  Way too many characters to allow for a tight script - I get they want the younger ones but do there have to be so many? Far too long build up, too much leaning on "hey, do you remember this from the original" moments and not even very clever ones (FireMaster? FFS).  Didn't see the point of dropping James Acaster in as he can't act, I can only imagine Stephen Merchant wasn't available.  Even Paul Rudd is irritating.  Carrie Coon, McKenna Grace, Patton Oswalt, Kumail Nanjiani, Dan Aykroyd very good though.  Bill Murray just there to pop up and be Bill Murray tbh.

Disappointing.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: popcorn on March 24, 2024, 01:12:46 AMI can't help but think the title Frozen Empire seems to be horribly apt... you know... for a media empire... that is frozen... with shitness.
In the next film the ghosts spray everything with diarrhoea. (We've already had slime and ooze and marshmallow, so it seems the logical progression.)

Glebe

The original was on BBC One yesterday afternoon, it was a TV cut that removed the taxi skeleton dude.

Blumf

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on March 25, 2024, 01:54:08 PMIn the next film the ghosts spray everything with diarrhoea. (We've already had slime and ooze and marshmallow, so it seems the logical progression.)

Ray Parker Jr.'s Ghostbuster tune, but with fart noises.

idunnosomename

they should make another sequel but its all about the blowjob ghost. its loose round new york, giving everyone a blowjob.

phantom_power

There is quite a bit of fan service in it but it is all pretty brief and doesn't derail anything too badly

Pete23

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 26, 2024, 12:53:39 AMthey should make another sequel but its all about the blowjob ghost. its loose round new york, giving everyone a blowjob.

I ain't afraid of Blow Ghost

As someone loves the first one, found Afterlife a total bore and had read some stinky reviews for this one I was fearing the worst but actually, me and my 10 year old had a pretty good time with this!

Totally flawed but some fun stuff.

I'd be interested to hear the background of Acaster's casting? Who else was on the list? Is the director a fan or something? Is it because it was shot in the UK? I liked him in it, thought he fit in quite well.

Ghostbusters is a tricky nut to crack, one that probably wasn't worth it past GB2. Concepts like this, Jurassic Park etc, once past the first film, reality has been broken so it can only get more broad and stupid.

Men In Black did it quite well in that, the big idea is hidden from reality so they can rinse and repeat but even that forgot why the first one worked so well, it's a workplace comedy with sci-fi fucked on.

One of the reasons I like the first GB so much, basically up to the montage sequence, is that it's a hang out, the stakes are low and the alchemy works between the main three. It's like how I only really like the first part of Stripes. Murray & Ramis mucking about.

Rev+

Quote from: Simply_The_Bestest on March 27, 2024, 07:29:26 PMOne of the reasons I like the first GB so much, basically up to the montage sequence, is that it's a hang out, the stakes are low and the alchemy works between the main three. It's like how I only really like the first part of Stripes. Murray & Ramis mucking about.

There are loads of comedy films like that of course - the first act being like an episode of a sitcom, before the plot flops in and the gags dry out.

Anyway, just seen this, and fuck me.  I can't even see what they were shooting for, and I don't think they knew either.  Next time just hand Dan the keys and let him make the completely mental load of old nonsense he's always wanted to, because at least it'd be something.  This was just a very long trailer that was somehow less exciting than the actual trailer.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Rev+ on April 01, 2024, 12:39:04 AMNext time just hand Dan the keys and let him make the completely mental load of old nonsense he's always wanted to, because at least it'd be something.

It would probably end up being a two hour advert for Crystal Head Vodka. But yeah, an utterly bonkers Aykroyd‐penned Ghostbusters sequel would at least be packed with some novel ideas. It wouldn't be good, obviously, but I daresay you wouldn't forget it in a hurry.

madhair60