Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:59:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Alien: Romulus.

Started by Glebe, March 20, 2024, 05:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

TIMBER MONK MOON!!!

TIMBER MONK MOON!!!

jamiefairlie

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 21, 2024, 02:07:50 PMTIMBER MONK MOON!!!

TIMBER MONK MOON!!!

Calm down Peter, we've talked about this before. The correct next line is

"we'll follow Mr Spoon"

Time for your tablets perhaps.

Operty1

I agree Prometheus had some good elements, the directors cut is much better, and also there were 6 short films released in the run up to it's release that i only saw for the first time on the Blu Ray special edition that actually add a little context as well. But the script was a mess. Nothing with the engineers is explained well at all (over both this and Covenant) and neither are David's motivations. There are sources like old scripts and tie in novels to help, but everything should be in the film.

Would like to at least see a script or treatment of Ridley's third film, just to know how that particular story ended though, and it's connection the first Alien. It would have been a glorious mess. The ship in Alien on LV426 was filled with Alien eggs, (a creation of David from parts of Shaw) and not vials of black goo (that Engineers created), and that ship had been there for seemingly a thousand plus years (fossilised Engineer). Covenant was set 19 years before Alien so, how does that work? Ash we learn was a last minute replacement, is he connected to David - it would be terrible if he actually was David. But then, why don't they just send androids out there anyway, cut out the human element? Why is it always androids? Who at the company keeps sending bad androids? Why didn't they just send a team of bad androids? None of it makes sense!!!!!!!!

The trailer looks fine.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: perplexingprocrastinator on March 20, 2024, 07:17:05 PMhow do they keep fucking this up, it's not rocket science jfc.

Formulaic as this is, it would look basically alright if everything wasn't FUCKING GOD FUCKING DAMNED FUCKING CGI.

Look at those weightless aliens. They look so incredibly Not Fucking There. The puppets and miniatures of 50 years ago still look INFINITELY better (and scarier) than all this shhhhhhite.

It really is time to smash all the computers with a hammer, smash them to smithereens and go back to practical effects. They're cheaper, and they're vastly better.

Are they? I thought the crack here was you could pay some dude to do it for fuck all on a zero hours in the phillipines Where's your latex and pig guts lads need to be on set in your own country, are unionised, want health insurance and non insane working hours etc

perplexingprocrastinator

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on March 21, 2024, 05:19:22 PMAre they? I thought the crack here was you could pay some dude to do it for fuck all on a zero hours in the phillipines Where's your latex and pig guts lads need to be on set in your own country, are unionised, want health insurance and non insane working hours etc

On the face of it that makes perfect sense! But why do avengers films cost 200,000,000 every time? Just give me puppets, miniatures and squibs pleeeeeeeeease!

prelektric

Quote from: perplexingprocrastinator on March 21, 2024, 06:27:26 PMOn the face of it that makes perfect sense! But why do avengers films cost 200,000,000 every time? Just give me puppets, miniatures and squibs pleeeeeeeeease!

Hollywood movie budgets are massively, massively inflated due to cunts. Without the cunts said Avengers films, or any major films like that would probably cost half as much. It's not sustainable, and it will crash sooner or later. Throw the cunts into an airlock.

But anyway - I'm not hopeful for this at all. I actually kind of liked what Prometheus was attempting, but it was so fucked over by re-writes (Lindelof! *shakes fist*) and panicked studio execs it turned out to be a shadow of what it could have been. Covenant was a wholly unlikeable experience, trading on sheer nastiness as a replacement for a decent story.

It should have ended with Alien3.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: bgmnts on March 20, 2024, 05:37:00 PMFuck me dead have you seen a more uninspiring, formulaic wank modern horror trailer in your life?

BWOONNNGGG
BWOOOONNNNGGG

Silence

JUMP SCARE AHHHH ALIEN KNOB TONGUE OH NOOOOO

The original Alien trailer is possibly the best trailer EVA

But I'm sure you all know that.

prelektric

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on March 21, 2024, 08:14:45 PMThe original Alien trailer is possibly the best trailer EVA

It absolutely is. No contest.

C_Larence

Never seen that before, incredible. How was it approved for all audiences???

Reminds me a little of the End of Evangelion TV spots

prelektric

Quote from: C_Larence on March 21, 2024, 08:32:07 PMNever seen that before, incredible. How was it approved for all audiences???

Because the MPAA were, and probably still are, weird and inconsistent.

Bear in mind that in the US even though the movie was rated "R" - under 17s could still go in as long as an adult was with them. Can you imagine going to the cinema in 1979 as an 8 year old with your Dad to see ALIEN? But that's the US for you.

Here in the UK it was given a solid "X" upon release in 1979. Ain't no kid getting into that screening, unless you were shagging the lass who ran the box office.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: perplexingprocrastinator on March 21, 2024, 06:27:26 PMOn the face of it that makes perfect sense! But why do avengers films cost 200,000,000 every time? Just give me puppets, miniatures and squibs pleeeeeeeeease!

Fiver for the Russian render farm where philipino slave labourers remove cavils tache, a million pounds an hour for cavils tache

ProvanFan

iamcoop

Trailer looks beyond dogshit but I'll still go and see it at the first opportunity, the complete twat that I am. 

badaids

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on March 21, 2024, 08:14:45 PMThe original Alien trailer is possibly the best trailer EVA

Yes it really is.  Despite the fact that of the 2m11s approx 1m30s is either literally a black screen or an actual egg and / or some gravel.

The main thing that I think made the original Alien so good, so affecting and so enduring, is that they make the conscious decision is made that nothing is explained, the observer is obliged to do that.  Massive set pieces like the discovery of the space jockey are seen, on screen for a minute or two, and then just left for you to ponder over and come to your own conclusions. 

All the following films, even Aliens a bit as good as it is by making the Aliens like ants, miss this point spectacularly.  Not least Ridley Scott, even though he made the first fucking film. 

The trailer doesn't give much away apart from a list of references to the first two films, which might not be bad, but history shows that it probably is.  I'd love to see another Alien film which just tries to capture the griminess and emptiness of the original and doesn't try to explain it all.

edit:  the last film which tried to do something like this was Under The Skin, and that was fucking ace.

Brundle-Fly

Jerzy Bondov

prelektric

Quote from: badaids on March 21, 2024, 09:30:32 PMI'd love to see another Alien film which just tries to capture the griminess and emptiness of the original and doesn't try to explain it all.

Let me preface this by saying this is not aimed at you personally - not at all.

Saw the original ALIEN at a special screening at the local cinema last year. It's just as grimy, empty, and visceral as it ever was.

It works with a modern audience now as it did then. One lass sat in front of me ran out during the horrendous sounds of the death throes of Lambert and didn't come back.

Why is that original 1979 movie not enough? Why do we need a hollow repeat of it? What can be gained?

I don't know.

badaids

Quote from: prelektric on March 21, 2024, 10:12:01 PMLet me preface this by saying this is not aimed at you personally - not at all.

Saw the original ALIEN at a special screening at the local cinema last year. It's just as grimy, empty, and visceral as it ever was.

It works with a modern audience now as it did then. One lass sat in front of me ran out during the horrendous sounds of the death throes of Lambert and didn't come back.

Why is that original 1979 movie not enough? Why do we need a hollow repeat of it? What can be gained?

I don't know.

Hiya, I'd like to see another Alien film (or any other film) that captures the first's spirit because I can't watch the first one again for the first time.

I love the first film and the fact that people can come to it with fresh eyes, I can't wait to watch it with my daughter.  I've watched it dozens of times and will wawtch it many time again, but I can't see it for the first time again.   Pure selfish point of view, and I'd happily risk there being a shit film like most of them are in order to get a good one.

prelektric

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 21, 2024, 09:57:00 PMBeg to differ.

No. That's a very effective trailer, don't get me wrong, but it smacks you over the head far too early.

The brilliance of the ALIEN trailer is that it starts with mystery and slowly builds up to an explosion of violence that's completely incomprehensible and terrifying, without giving a single thing away of its context.

This trailer for The Exorcist is just a barrage of noise and flashing images purely designed to startle the audience. It has no finesse whatsoever. (IMO)

prelektric

Quote from: badaids on March 21, 2024, 10:22:27 PMHiya, I'd like to see another Alien film (or any other film) that captures the first's spirit because I can't watch the first one again for the first time.

Oh mate, I get that totally. Unfortunately I don't think this new one is going to give that to any of us. Well, we'll see...

badaids

Quote from: prelektric on March 21, 2024, 10:35:19 PMOh mate, I get that totally. Unfortunately I don't think this new one is going to give that to any of us. Well, we'll see...

I watched the 4K release in 2019 in the cinema and it was mint and skill.  No one ran out, but it it looked amazing on the big screen in that detail.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: prelektric on March 21, 2024, 10:28:30 PMNo. That's a very effective trailer, don't get me wrong, but it smacks you over the head far too early.

The brilliance of the ALIEN trailer is that it starts with mystery and slowly builds up to an explosion of violence that's completely incomprehensible and terrifying, without giving a single thing away of its context.

This trailer for The Exorcist is just a barrage of noise and flashing images purely designed to startle the audience. It has no finesse whatsoever. (IMO)

The lack of finesse is its very power to me.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: prelektric on March 21, 2024, 10:12:01 PMLet me preface this by saying this is not aimed at you personally - not at all.

I don't know.

Utterly agree with you. To me, Alien (1979) is a stand alone film and has nothing to do with the sequels and spin offs. (Although, I do enjoy the first two sequels as entirely different prospects)

prelektric

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 21, 2024, 11:30:13 PMUtterly agree with you. To me, Alien (1979) is a stand alone film and has nothing to do with the sequels and spin offs. (Although, I do enjoy the first two sequels as entirely different prospects)

That sums it up for me too.

As for Alien: Rhombus, totally "arsed, cigs" ambivalence for me. Maybe it might be worthwhile, but I can't lie about it's chances. It has my sympathies.

Mister Six

Wow! I'd never seen it before, but it's amazing.

badaids

Quote from: prelektric on March 21, 2024, 10:28:30 PMNo. That's a very effective trailer, don't get me wrong, but it smacks you over the head far too early.

That Exorcist trailer is absolutely terrifying, even more than the Alien one.  I'd seen it before and have an iron stomach for horror films, but there's something about that one that I really can't watch. Sounds mad to say as a middle aged adult but it's too scary for me.

13 schoolyards

The first Alien really benefited from being made at a time when flat-out horror was relatively new in mainstream cinemas and pretty much all anyone knew about making a hit was making it as scary as fuck.

These days "horror" is very much a genre with a whole bunch of boring rules and requirements - going "givvus a bunch of money to make a whole bunch of weird shit and the only thing tying it all together is that you're going to be freaking the fuck out for the entire time" and actually getting the cash in 2024 is pretty unlikely

perplexingprocrastinator

Quote from: badaids on March 21, 2024, 09:30:32 PMI'd love to see another Alien film which just tries to capture the griminess and emptiness of the original and doesn't try to explain it all.

This is perfectly expressed. And I don't understand why movie after movie after movie after movie after movie they completely miss this secret ingredient. The sets - always harking back to the original - look great. The monster design, also harking back to the original, has always been great.

It's the bloody scripts, which have been an absolute dog from 3 onwards. I think they got thrown off by Cameron's brilliant second one. He opened up the world a bit and obviously changed the tone completely - while SOMEHOW making it feel totally consistent with the world we knew from the first one.

But the Cameron script was also very lean. Gave you the amount of info and world-building required to do what it was doing, but everything else was tight - just atmosphere, character building, and he even managed to make the sentimental stuff work (because the rest of the film was so brutal, it somehow balanced out).

The writing has been so unbelievably fucking shit since then, and the concurrent changes in film-making technology (basically, from puppets to CGI) have made the monsters weightless, much too fast and floaty and insubstantial. The characters all fucking suck.

And why Ridley Scott struck on that Prometheus storyline is INCOMPREHENSIBLE to me, what an ABSOLUTE whiffer. The alien monster was perfect - a human sized, parasitic wasp. A perfect, perfect horror concept. You don't need to add a single detail to it, not a word of explanation.

It is genuinely perfect as it stands - and anything added to the "mythos" really just weighs it down. This has literally been annoying me for half my life because I bloody loved the first two movies as a kid

ZoyzaSorris

Mythos works much better when just touched on in a tantalising way leaving lots of unanswered questions for the brain to fill in, I don't know why that is such a hard task for filmmakers to grasp (especially when they have managed to do it previously)

Pete23

It all went to shit when they cut out the Dallas cocoon scene...