Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,800
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:04:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All-New Handfun Thread (NDS, GBA, PSP, NGPC, WS...)

Started by waste of chops, March 15, 2007, 01:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
If he's solitaire-crazy then Solitaire DS is a reasonable (and pretty cheap) collection of 101 solitaire games by the team that did the aces Ultimate Card Games on the GBA.

ThickAndCreamy

That's pretty much everything I don't want in a new DS. Why the hell do I want a music player, video player, internet browser and a cheap shitty camera (VGA, technology only 5 years too late).

The PSP does all of the above except the camera with a bigger screen, much better resolution and at a cheaper price.

I'm going to get a DS Lite with an R4 card and be done with it, none of the new features, including downloadable DS games, appeal to me in the slightest.

jutl

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on October 02, 2008, 08:36:05 AM
That's pretty much everything I don't want in a new DS. Why the hell do I want a music player, video player, internet browser and a cheap shitty camera (VGA, technology only 5 years too late).

The PSP does all of the above except the camera with a bigger screen, much better resolution and at a cheaper price.

I'm going to get a DS Lite with an R4 card and be done with it, none of the new features, including downloadable DS games, appeal to me in the slightest.

The most important new feature for Nintendo isn't in the official list: R4DS incompatibility.

ThickAndCreamy

Quote from: jutl on October 02, 2008, 08:45:45 AM
The most important new feature for Nintendo isn't in the official list: R4DS incompatibility.
I thought that was going to happen, no need to even think about getting it now for me.

Ignatius_S

It's also been announced that DSi content (which covers a multitude of sins) will be region-locked, ending a noble Nintendo tradition.

I don't think it's fair to slag off the camera as yet, as from what I've read, this has been incorporated as a new interface for developers and not as a camera camera.

The new handheld takes 30 minutes longer to recharge and battery life is shorter (going from memory, it's 3 hours on the highest brightness and 14 hours for something less calculated to burn the retinas), which one article said was due to the faster processor.

Must have a look at the Korg thread, as I forgot about it being released...

ozziechef

A recomendation for Guiness World Records on the DS, as the proud owner of 2 National records it's the most addictive game I've played in a while.

Football Director out on Friday too!

thugler

Right, I just started playing korg-ds and it's great fun. What sort of cable do I need to connect it to my bass amp?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

A mini jack to jack converter and your regular guitar lead will do the trick, although it'll only be in mono.

ozziechef

Football Director DS review - having spent a few hours playing it last night, it's pretty good. Not as in depth as Football manager bu still good with lots of transfer markets, training, tactics - only the UK leagues though which means rare foreign players are not here.

However it's hard to undertsand exactly who is and isn't performing in the match.

But still great to have a football management game on the DS. It's only 8MB in size too, so I don't know why they haven't explanded it greatly - Cooking Guide is 256MB.

Overall though, i'll give it 7.5 /10

Lee Van Cleef

I see that Chrono Trigger is coming out on DS in Feb.  Can't wait!

Agreed. I emulated it a while back but all the layers were fucked and the sound effects were mostly white noise.

Looking forward to it. I haven't touched the DS in a few months apart from a daily Big Brain Academy toilet stop.

jimmy jazz

The North American version is available now, if you can somehow magically get hold of it.

Cheers, dude. I haven't checked out any [US IMPORT STORES] recently but I'll [PURCHASE IT ONLINE] now.

[THANKS VERY MUCH]

I mean: thanks very much.

Lee Van Cleef

I'm waiting for the UK version.  Prefer to get the British version of things when possible in case shit goes bad.

Quote from: Lee Van Cleef on December 17, 2008, 10:27:55 PM
I'm waiting for the UK version.  Prefer to get the British version of things when possible in case shit goes bad.

Ok, it's been best part of a week now. I still have no idea what you mean by this.

Gaius

Same here. I have only spent about 5 minutes thinking about what the hell you meant just after you first posted it but still...

Having seen Lee's 'No Downloads' comment in 'Albums of 2008', I'm going to take a stab that he's not a filthy thief and so wouldn't risk buying an import copy of a game, in case...well in case shit goes bad and he can't return it.

Am I right, Lee? Put me out of my misery.

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 23, 2008, 03:36:03 AM
Ok, it's been best part of a week now. I still have no idea what you mean by this.

Quote from: Gaius on December 23, 2008, 09:43:05 PM
Same here. I have only spent about 5 minutes thinking about what the hell you meant just after you first posted it but still...

In case shit goes bad = In case things go wrong.

Without wishing to speak for LVC, it sounds like he wishes to wait for the UK version to come out, rather than buying an import version, as it will be easier for a UK version to get repaired.

Lee Van Cleef

Both the above are right.  Also returning items abroad is a bit more of a pain in the ass.  Hence why I tend to buy UK R2 DVDs instead of foreign ones.

I don't have any of those weird carts you can dowload other games too.  I just buy them from the shop.  I'm not techy enough for all that.

Neil

Speaking of which, what's the best R4DS card to get now, folks?  My sis got a new DS for Xmas y'see, and is loving it.  Looking for one that's as little fannying about as poss, just drag and drop hopefully.  Thanks.

ThickAndCreamy

Acekard 2. Just drag and drop with no fuss whatsoever and is reliable, easy to use and has fancy features if needed.

Review here. The Acekard 2.1 is the only one sold now and is more sturdy than the one in that review. I have been using mine for the past 4 days and it's wonderful. It accepts HD SD cards meaning 4gb+ memory is also available.

Lee Van Cleef

Okay, are there any decent RPGs out on DS?  I'm not a fan of FF games, and I've tried to play FF3 bt just can't get into it.  I want a dungeon hack or something, something with lots of stats manipulation or whatever.

Chrono Trigger? The World Ends With You? Both very FF, to be honest but mildly different vibe.

Lee Van Cleef

I'm gonna get Chrono Trigger when it comes out, loved Secret off Mana on the SNES.

I was wondering if stuff like Etrian Odyssey or Dungeon Explorer was worth a punt.

Marty McFly

Secret Of Mana is on Virtual Console now if you have a Wii, LVC..

Lee Van Cleef

Don't have a wii.  Have a SNES and the SoM cart though.

Lee Van Cleef

Okay, a little bit of searching for Etrian Odyssey came up with this:

[youtube=425,350]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WM5MMqNgUzM[/youtube]

I'm going to buy it when I have the money.

turnstyle

Just got a PSP for my train commute to work. Got Lemmings and Loco Roco 2 with it...what other games provide good commuting entertainment?

Oh, and don't shout at me for not buying a DS! I've owned two previously, I felt like a change.

Thanks for the bump. Anyone recommend any decent DS games while we're at it?

I got Big Bang Mini, but it's not really 'fun'. It just is...