Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:30:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling: The Baron Corbin Era

Started by Z, March 08, 2019, 01:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjd2

The show has definitely lacked a racist killing minorities. Thank you Vince.

rjd2

That was a fun men MITB, but yeah then fucking Brock.

up_the_hampipe

Hah they're really just trolling with Brock at this point.

Mobius

Hahahahaha  Brock won the briefcase

Seth AJ was a good match but yeah they have no character and their feud has nothing behind it. Great wrestling match tho, that curbstomp reversal into a Styles Clash was sick.

Samoa Joe's nosebleed was cool.

Some good spots in the ladder match.

Hardcore belt tomorrow? Can't think what else it'd be but how is that going to work

peanutbutter

I dunno, MITB (and the Rumble to a lesser extent) have suffered in recent years from this need for them to be used as a platform to launch someone every single time. Shake it up a bit with a Brock reign.

This is one time where I think AEW's weaknesses shine through a lot more, even listening to Meltzer explain it, there's a really strong desire to "give fans what they want" and that isn't always the best thing...

Quote from: Mobius on May 20, 2019, 09:08:10 AMHardcore belt tomorrow? Can't think what else it'd be but how is that going to work

There's never been a better or worse time for the 24/7 rule.

Never better because social media can legitimise it. The title changes can be filmed on cellphones so you don't get those segments where you need to suspend disbelief because there just so happens to be a WWE film crew in a 7-Eleven whilst the champ is buying some milk.

But never worse, because you know some moron is going to attack the talent in public. The champ would effectively be housebound during their reign because 4chan will dox the shit out of them to try to triangulate an attack.

sevendaughters

Foley leads to it being a hardcore title but maybe a TV title, seeing as Vince is trying to shore up those ratings. Guaranteed championship opportunities every week!

Timothy

Oh WWE fuck off. What a bad PPV. And MITB is usually good fun.

Female MITB was just bad. Carmella and Mandy are so bad in the ring. Then Bayley winning. Such a boring character. This was the perfect time to pull the trigger on Cross.

Mysterio vs Samoa Joe. What was that shit? Was it a botch and quick end with Samoa Joe bleeding? Or just terrible booking? Why is Dominic on TV? Why is Reys first US champ win a fluke instead of a big moment?

Becky is so boring in the ring. Also lots of botches in both female championship matches. Wtf happened when Lacey pinned her and the referee just waited? Why does she fall before kicks connect? She is tough on the mic but loses her persona when the bell rings.

And after that boring Bayley cashing in on Charlotte because why wait with the MITB suspense when you can ruin it on one evening? Becky Two Belts reign over before it even properly started. Sigh.

Shane vs Miz was weak.

AJ vs Seth. Good match but why should we care? AJ has zero character or personality. Great in ring but there is no reason to care.

Kofi vs Owens was fun.

That whole Braun vs Sami feud lead to nothing. That whole Elias vs Roman feud that we had to watch for weeks lead to nothing. Both not in match. Sami out of MITB. This is doing nothing for them all. Waste of time. Pointless.

Brock winning the MITB. Fuck off. Seriously. Just for the Saudi show probably.

Such bad booking. There are no proper build ups anymore. Anything they do during RAW and SD is made redundant on the PPVs. There is no reason to care about things like Sami winning or the MITB participants or whatever when they all throw it away on the next show. Why did I have to watch a shitload of bad Elias Roman segments when they arent even fighting? Meh.
And now we get another title? They cant even properly book the ones they already have.

Had great fun at RAW last week but I think I stop watching until the Royal Rumble next year. Done with this shit.

Going back to the Brock well shows how desperate they are. Lets just keeping using old stars instead of creating any new stars. They don't understand the reason the ratings are tanking, thinking its just about star power. Its not so simple, your not going to steer the ratings around over night with random stunts, its going to have to be a slow build as wwe booking wins back its trust with the audience.

Timothy

Yup.

Ratings tank because people dont have a reason to follow the show anymore. There are no proper stories or angles. Even when you care about something like Sami entering MITB while KO fights Kofi they suddenly decide to change things or stop angles halfway. Its the shit on the fly booking that makes people stop watching. Why invest time when they dont respect it? Why bother following Raw or Sd when half the angles are gone or changed the moment the PPV starts?

up_the_hampipe

They use Brock because he's a heel that actually gets heat right now. Fans are fucking SICK of him, they think he's lazy (he's not), he barely shows up and gets all the glory (that's true). So they have him stroll in after weeks off television and steal the briefcase from hard-working talent. Makes sense really. I think the idea of MITB Brock lurking in the shadows waiting for a champ to destroy could be quite fun. He's not an "old star", he's an active member of the roster, even if he has a much smaller schedule. He's younger than AJ. Goldberg vs. Undertaker, those are old stars!

Timothy

You are quite optimistic.

I fully expect Brock to either stay off tv until he cashes in at Saudi show or to see him cash in tonight.

Either that or they pull of a dumb stunt like Heyman cashing in on Raw on his behalf.

hummingofevil

I actually thought the show was quite fun. I missed the pre show but the Women's MITB was fine and had a bit of jeopardy and Bailey winning actually got Bailey over.

Joe Rey was a bit shit but it was quite fun to watch (no idea why Rey's "kid" is there if he isn't doing anything though). Errmm... all the women's title stuff was decent enough. Becky dropping one of her belts, Lacey not being awful, Charlotte being an ace heel, adding to her titles and a Bailey cash in after her running head into post was really well done I thought. Crowd reacted to it in right way.

Roman Elias was all it needed to be and I laughted at Elias. Didn't hate it as much as a match.

AJ Seth was good to watch in ring but as stated I find them both really boring characters.

Kev Kof was good.

MITB was good and if by this point you can't laugh at Vince trolling the audience with Brock then you are missing out. It's the one thing Vince has done brilliantly in ages (at least in terms of the character, the fans hate Brock and it all actually works its just got minor issue that he has led the example to the fans for why they shoudn't bother with Raw and Smackdown).

---

MITB is always a fairly good show and this was no different. Timothy, I think part of the problem is you have probably spent hundreds of quid on WWE in last week and feel a bit flat that THAT is what Vince has made out of it. I feel your pain. It's a lot easier to shrug your shoulders at WWE and enjoy the odd bits if you just don't give Vince any off your money.

-----

As for the Foley belt it will be a Hardcore Championship belt and it will go back and forward from RAW to Smackdown (and maybe NXT) every episode as an excuse to further water down the brand split. Nothing will ever top the DDT Iron Heavymetal Weight Championship as greatest hardcore belt but it would do WWE no harm to introduce this as a bit of actual fun to the programming.

Ja'moke

Brock winning MITB is clearly just to set up a title match for the Saudi show... at least that's how I see it. Which is why it will be ultimately meaningless because who gives a shit about the Saudi shows? Not even the people in Jeddah. Just the rich prince.

I thought both MITB matches themselves were really fun though, especially the men's. And AJ vs Rollins was really good. That Curbstomp countered into the Styles Clash... ace.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Ja'moke on May 20, 2019, 01:19:14 PM
Brock winning MITB is clearly just to set up a title match for the Saudi show... at least that's how I see it. Which is why it will be ultimately meaningless because who gives a shit about the Saudi shows? Not even the people in Jeddah. Just the rich prince.

I thought both MITB matches themselves were really fun though, especially the men's. And AJ vs Rollins was really good. That Curbstomp countered into the Styles Clash... ace.

Also ironically at least it makes booking sense for once. We all know its wank but at least the idea that "Brock is back for Saudi" is logical unlike people getting title shots for losing on Raw.

Timothy

Quote from: hummingofevil on May 20, 2019, 01:23:09 PM
Also ironically at least it makes booking sense for once. We all know its wank but at least the idea that "Brock is back for Saudi" is logical unlike people getting title shots for losing on Raw.

Non kayfabe its logical.
Kayfabe it made no sense.

MITB is always a fairly good show and this was no different. Timothy, I think part of the problem is you have probably spent hundreds of quid on WWE in last week and feel a bit flat that THAT is what Vince has made out of it. I feel your pain. It's a lot easier to shrug your shoulders at WWE and enjoy the odd bits if you just don't give Vince any off your money.

80 pounds total so it wasnt that bad ;-)

Nah it had nothing to do with money. I just disliked the show in general because the things I was looking forward to the most didnt happen.

I was really looking forward to both the mens MITB due to Sami being in it and a good Rey vs Joe bout and both didnt happen. I dont like Bayley so her winning the MITB didnt do much for me. Cutting the Two Belt reign short on such short notice sucks. With Sami gone in the MITB match apart from Orton and Almas there were imo no real potential WWE champions involved.

The thing I like most about MITB is the suspense when and where the cashin will take place and thats also gone.

It was imo just a shit PPV.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ja'moke on May 20, 2019, 01:19:14 PM

Hmm, thought they'd hold out on it longer than that. Would have been cool to have him cash in on the first Smackdown on FOX.

Timothy

I doubt FOX will be happy with a show where the big champ only appears on PPV.

And he isnt gonna cash in on Kofi. Cole made it clear that Seth should be really afraid during his commentary.

up_the_hampipe

Who says Kofi will be champ by then and who says Brock will win?

Timothy

You are right. Forgot FOX is far away.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on May 20, 2019, 11:37:00 AM
Going back to the Brock well shows how desperate they are. Lets just keeping using old stars instead of creating any new stars. They don't understand the reason the ratings are tanking, thinking its just about star power. Its not so simple, your not going to steer the ratings around over night with random stunts, its going to have to be a slow build as wwe booking wins back its trust with the audience.
WWE have never ever understood this though. The only reason Austin got as over as he did was because he was extremely protective of himself (his neck injury probably helped here) whilst also being a bit of a genius.

WWE need AEW to be a hit more than anyone tbh, if only so they can steal their stars in two years to prop up the fox deal

sevendaughters

Didn't see MITB but the Brock things sounds amazing. Fuck it. He's their one big star who doesn't feel like a corporate dunce and can legitimately kick your arse. His matches are different and interesting. They make ME want to tune in! I embrace this Inokiism.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Timothy on May 20, 2019, 01:37:25 PM
Non kayfabe its logical.
Kayfabe it made no sense.

Kayfabe is dead and has been for years. Look at it in bigger picture. The Saudi Prince wants Brock and TV ratings are dying and company can't build stars. The biggest push anyone has had in last two decades is Brock beating the streak. He IS the big star. That Vince has booked him so fans actually believe he is lazy, doesn't want to be there and actually pays him more than anyone on roster AND tells him to stay home is utterly hilarious if you try to enjoy WWE as an all encompassing beast where the back stage machinations are as much of the story line as so called kayfabe in ring.

Hell you got some Twitter accounts keeping to characters and others posting selfies of supposed hated rivals driving together; heel-face Steph genuinely giving some dying kids the best day of their lives then burying every make talent in the company; a company that prides itself on its inclusivity agenda only to take the Saudi millions, bring back Hogan and book Lars to destroy three Mexicans a week after fining him $100,000.

The best we can expect from WWE is for their programming to give us a sneaky peaky into the real world mad mind of Vince and on that level MITB delivered. Last throwing Mexicans is a fuck you to sponsors, Bailey winning is a fuck you to Sasha, Charlotte getting another title closer to Ric is a fuck you to internet geeks whining about her push and Brock to is fuck you to everyone. Now you are within you right not to enjoy it and be fucked off by their fuck you but I for one find that the most enjoyable bit.

Spode

Tried to avoid spoilers all day only to find out an hour ago they booked Brock to take the Iron Throne. Ridiculous

sevendaughters

the affidavit of Ashley Massaro alleging that she was raped on WWE military duty and Vince encouraged her to play it down to preserve the relationship is just so horrendous

https://twitter.com/ChrisBrosnahan/status/1129794890492198912

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: hummingofevil on May 20, 2019, 07:08:38 PM
Kayfabe is dead and has been for years.

Only spods like us think that though. If you watch WWE TV, it's all kayfabe. The mainstream audience has no idea of the behind the scenes stuff and what Brock's contract is and what other wrestlers feel about him and how he's booked or what the Saudis want etc. Thats how they're able to get away with booking such a shitshow, its only a small percentage of their audience that cares about that stuff.

peanutbutter

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on May 20, 2019, 07:52:44 PM
Thats how they're able to get away with booking such a shitshow
They're able to get away with booking such a shitshow because the older end of their audience has been watching weekly for decades and are borderline incapable of breaking the habit at this stage.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: peanutbutter on May 20, 2019, 07:58:03 PM
They're able to get away with booking such a shitshow because the older end of their audience has been watching weekly for decades and are borderline incapable of breaking the habit at this stage.

That's also true, it took me a long time to finally cut the cord and it wasn't even WWE that got me into wrestling.

Quote from: sevendaughters on May 20, 2019, 07:51:50 PM
the affidavit of Ashley Massaro alleging that she was raped on WWE military duty and Vince encouraged her to play it down to preserve the relationship is just so horrendous

https://twitter.com/ChrisBrosnahan/status/1129794890492198912

utterly grotesque

should be a massive scandal

hummingofevil

Quote from: peanutbutter on May 20, 2019, 07:58:03 PM

...and the younger end of their audience are barely sentient. It always tickles me even at local indie shows when I'm watching matches trying to invest in the story and not just be a smarky cunt only to look up and see a load of 5 year old kids doing the You Can't See Me or that Roman arm wank thing. They fucking love it. They can't even remember whether or not they have pissed their pants never mind what happened 2 weeks ago on Raw. Just do more Superman punches and ill nag mam to buy new T-Shirt.