Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,209
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:41:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cunt

Started by touchingcloth, November 18, 2021, 01:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoulders

Turned my back on The Fast Show after the cruel and inhumane mocking of Jesse and his Diets.

Blue Jam

Quote from: no_offenc on November 19, 2021, 11:05:22 AMGreat work mocking a 4 year old with an eating disorder. Sometimes I forget why I stopped posting here, and then threads like this come along. Fucking hell.

I feel more and more vidicated about the PHWOARGH threads every day.

shoulders

Also, great when people who apparently 'stopped posting here' 'post here' to explain why they 'stopped posting here'. Something rather self-congratulatory about that.

Good luck in your replacement social spaces which I am sure are devoid of errors of judgement or cunty behaviour and see you in 3 years for the latest 'why I stopped posting here' classic.

idunnosomename

I mean yes this is a bizarre thread. This is a four-year-old who has such specific anxiety about eating they would literally starve themselves than eat anything other than very specific food. They are not an attention-seeking little cunt, they have a serious psychological condition.

If you were their parents you would just be happy to see them eat something, even if it was just crisps, and hope they grow out of it. They clearly say at least the crisps encourage her to drink some liquid. And just when they've got her to eat somewhat reliably, this happens.

I will keep posting here though because i am a cunt.

Blue Jam

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 19, 2021, 11:30:13 AMI mean yes this is a bizarre thread. This is a four-year-old who has such specific anxiety about eating they would literally starve themselves than eat anything other than very specific food. They are not an attention-seeking little cunt, they have a serious psychological condition.

Quite possibly neurological too, not that that makes their struggle any more valid.

Quote from: thugler on November 19, 2021, 11:16:35 AMI don't know, i go back and forth on this. Noones saying the parents are evil incarnate for letting their kids eat crisps. But it's got to have been allowed to continue for quite some time to get to the stage that that's all they'll eat. It's not like the child didn't eat before trying crisps, nor that the first time they tried them they swore off them. Ultimately is it not better to cut it off earlier and not let it develop into a disorder as soon as it showed signd of becoming a problem. When it gets to the point they are eating it full time it's pretty hazardous to the kids health eating that all day every day. The longer it goes on the harder it will be to kick. And the sugar/fat/salt combo is highly addictive.

And it's not like eating disorders can't be caused by many things, including stuff within the parents control.

Admittedly i did not read the article... Ok read it now. Yes it's an eating disorder, but there's no explanation of what causes the condition or how it is treated. I would presume perpetually giving them this same shit food for the rest of their life is not the plan even in the medium term.

One of the foods this child eats is a specific fruit puree, so my guess is that the parents started to struggle when trying to move her onto solid foods. They may have found she ate crips and waffles after trying everything else. It could also be the case that the child had a distressing early experience linked to food (choking, vomiting) or developed something like emetophobia, or they could be one of those rare people who simply don't get any pleasure from eating and really have to force themselves, or have their parents make the effort while they're young:

https://www.beateatingdisorders.org.uk/get-information-and-support/about-eating-disorders/types/arfid/

(article also mentions the beige food thing, interesting)

In any case if someone would rather be put on a drip than have to eat any food they don't like that would suggest this is pretty serious.

Chollis

i love crisps but i couldn't eat a whole one!

The Mollusk

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 19, 2021, 11:30:13 AMIf you were their parents you would just be happy to see them eat something, even if it was just crisps, and hope they grow out of it. They clearly say at least the crisps encourage her to drink some liquid.

The parents invoked further outrage when asked what liquids the child would drink. "When you eat nowt but crisps there's only one thing to quench that thirst mate, BOOZE."

Blumf

Quote from: The Mollusk on November 19, 2021, 11:39:10 AMThe parents invoked further outrage when asked what liquids the child would drink. "When you eat nowt but crisps there's only one thing to quench that thirst mate, BOOZE."

Kid'll only eat peanuts from those pub display cards with a nudie lady behind all the bags.

(Wow, somebody did an article worthy of Viz about the models
https://www.mirror.co.uk/busty-big-d-nuts-babes-21394671 )

Barry Admin

I've had a couple of reports about this thread and have quickly scan read it.

I'd encourage you to keep discussing it, I guess.

Humour is always the most divisive topic on CaB. Personally, I've grown out of shock humour and find it quite lazy and dull. I do know that it gives a very bad perception of this place, despite how awesome and kind everyone actually is.

I said last week: I actively avoid reading certain threads on here because they worry me and I know I'd go into a neurotic tailspin.

We lost a really good poster a while ago because one of the edgelords in this thread thought the death of their parent was ripe for this exact sort of CaB-style humour.

So it's tricky for me because I do think it's fine to joke about anything, but yet I don't want to feel embarrassed about CaB. Nor do I want people thinking it's becoming too po-faced to have a giggle. I want us to keep up with cultural shifts, and to grow and progress as individuals and as a community.

Therefore I guess all I can do is ask people like the OP to have a think about what they say on here, and to consider if it's worth it. The fact that some of it has bled over into CC of late is particularly egregious to me. Mort Sahl fans came here expecting to see some recognition of the man after his passing, and instead they found a load of tired nonce jokes and shit like that. These are people who were already concerned about his legacy, and they expected us to be the place where you could find out the truth, and they left in disgust.

So again, the next time you want to post edgelord humour, I'd ask you to consider a) is it funny, or are you just trying to piss people off and b) is it worth it.

Thanks.

The Dog

Quote from: Blumf on November 18, 2021, 04:41:59 PM
Quote from: The Dog on November 18, 2021, 04:15:18 PMKnow a guy who only eats krill.

Sound like a right Dick.

Actually he's a lovely gentle bloke and he's very sensitive so I hope you feel proud of yourself.

Barry Admin

I actually watched this a couple of weeks ago, and it was not what I expected at all. I'd encourage you to give it your time:

idunnosomename

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 19, 2021, 11:32:34 AMQuite possibly neurological too, not that that makes their struggle any more valid.

I just didn't want to say "mental illness" because it sounded dismissive and derogatory.

I thought the BBC article was quite well-written, and just had a look at other outlets that have run with it (Evening Standard, Daily Mail) and they seem to have had pretty similar briefing on the medical situation and dont play it for outrage.

there's a bit in the Sun with another similar story about an autistic boy who will only eat smokey bacon crisps which does lapse a bit into mentioning cases of child malnutrition which seems unnecessary but still the article is sympathetic. although they do seem to have just lifted it from a local paper, and covered it in tabloidisms like "chow down".

still yeah. when the tabloids are more sympathetic to disabled children. perhaps a moment to think.

JaDanketies

Gotta say it's surprising to see people itt talking like this is the first time they've ever heard of a human like this. They're on the telly all the time, there are documentary serieses devoted to it. They even appear on Supernanny occasionally. Somehow the TV show always manages to cure them and then it plays Sigur Ros as it shows them eating a piece of toast

Blue Jam

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 19, 2021, 12:23:38 PMSo again, the next time you want to post edgelord humour, I'd ask you to consider a) is it funny, or are you just trying to piss people off and b) is it worth it.

Good response this, and b) is especially good advice. It can be easy to post without thinking sometimes, and shitposting clogs up so much social media in general, perhaps we need to discourage it. Maybe we could bring back the "THREADSHITTER" badge?

just asking to be branded a THREADSHITTER now aren't I?

Nice work on the site btw Neil. Liking the redeisgn and new features.

Blue Jam

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 19, 2021, 01:06:49 PMGotta say it's surprising to see people itt talking like this is the first time they've ever heard of a human like this. They're on the telly all the time, there are documentary serieses devoted to it. They even appear on Supernanny occasionally. Somehow the TV show always manages to cure them and then it plays Sigur Ros as it shows them eating a piece of toast

We  had our very own thread on eating the same things every day pretty recently:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=89424.0

H-O-W-L

I think this forum genuinely goes too far sometimes, as one of the most outraged posters here. I don't think certain things are innately taboo (well, I do, but I don't think I'd enforce those taboos on others wantonly) but context is a fine and keen thing. The context here is literally just "Look at the weirdo! Demean the weirdo! Throw peanuts at the carnival geek!" and nothing else. You can find it amusing, or odd, that the kid only eats crisps, and I'd find it a bit rum but hold my tongue. Meanwhile, outright titling the thread "Cunt" with clear venom, blindfolded, borderline narcissistic wanker sneeringness? Fuck and off, honestly. Be more fucking mindful.

If you want to believe that I'm capable of handling grim shit then read any of my own hilarious attempts at being funny-bleak in the Deso threads, or any OFAH thread, or pretty much anywhere I post and talk about getting bastard murdered.  I'm a morbid fucking cunt and I imagine many people on this forum hate me for it.

That's my take on it; CAB is a funny place, but sometimes the desire to be funny seemingly trumps the desire to open one's fucking eyes and think fucking clearly, which is a crying shame because it's exactly the same bottom-barrel shit this forum pillories Roy Chubby Brown and Little Britain and Two Pints and all the rest of the overoffensive silage shite for gunning at. This forum has huge reams of threads about giving Glinner shit (threads I wholeheartedly agree with) for punching down (to name just one of the many forks on the brown star he has become) -- surely punching down should be frowned on, here?

I used to find TouchingCloth's posts amusing; not that I pay much attention to names here since I can barely read them at the best of times (mostly avatars, I spot the name if the avatar's changed) but I think going forward I'm going to put this cunt -- and I can call them a cunt without hypocrisy, because TouchingCloth has gone out on a limb and made themselves the initial aggressor here -- on ignore for the time being. This is a stray beyond the fucking borders even for CAB. The combination of tone-deafness, plain fucking idiocy, and double-down arrogance is fucked up, pure and simple.

And before someone flies up my arse about queen dead, bugger bodies, oo arr oo arr maddie threads: I don't go in those fucking threads for the same reasons, but at least they're as signposted as two clowns flagging you down on the motorway at night is a signpost for being murdered. This one hit home and the title was wholly nondescript. Borderline bait, even. Cunt is basically punctuation on this forum (and in my own dialect it is too) so who the fuck was I to know? Cunt!

JesusAndYourBush

The mother was on 5Live yesterday somewhere between 5:30 and 6pm talking in depth about the whole thing, if anyone wants more information about it.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0011ljw
Starts at 1:41:48. ends 1:51:21.

JaDanketies

Actually now I think about it, my fiancee's cousin only eats chicken nuggets and chips. Even at Christmas dinner he only ate chicken nuggets and chips. First time I met him we ended up talking about me being vegan, and he adamantly refused to imagine a future where people ate meat less often and said he would never be a part of such a future. I wish I knew he had a very restricted diet at the time, it was like I was arguing blindfolded.

He must be about 40 now and he's still got his hair and fingernails. Maybe all this 'proper nutrition' shit is rubbish, or maybe chicken nuggets and chips contain everything you need. Certainly seems a lot more balanced than the kid in the OP, or the kid on Supernanny who only ate custard cream biscuits.

Beagle 2

My friend's kid has got this, it's part of his autism. It's a real thing, a massive headache for the parents and kids really do go on drips rather than eat anything else other than what they settle on.

The Mollusk

I completely accept and never would have ever questioned that this is an eating disorder, and the family have my total empathy. It sounds unavoidably awful and challenging.

On the other hand... the kid's giving it the Dreamworks face in the photo in the article. Look at her. She knows what she's doing.

Mum: "What should we have for dinner tonight sweetie?"
Kid: <that face> "Crisps?"

Barry Admin

Quote from: H-O-W-L on November 19, 2021, 01:33:47 PMThat's my take on it; CAB is a funny place, but sometimes the desire to be funny seemingly trumps the desire to open one's fucking eyes and think fucking clearly, which is a crying shame because it's exactly the same bottom-barrel shit this forum pillories Roy Chubby Brown and Little Britain and Two Pints and all the rest of the overoffensive silage shite for gunning at. This forum has huge reams of threads about giving Glinner shit (threads I wholeheartedly agree with) for punching down (to name just one of the many forks on the brown star he has become) -- surely punching down should be frowned on, here?

IKR?

Cause there are Maddie jokes and then there are Maddie jokes

There was a thing before that happened with CC... without getting too into it, Someone was actually sarcastically defending a female comedian with very edgy humour against complaints that she should be pilloried for past work on a rightwing tabloid. When she read it, she didn't see the irony and the context and she didn't see the poor attempt at a joke, or that the comment was meant to defend her - she read it as a very blunt statement of fact.

This place very narrowly missed being defined by that comment, among a large fucking audience, in a permanent way. Do you understand? Do you know what it's like for me to walk around with the guilt of that woman's pain?

Recently I've removed a few "jokes" of this type:

QuoteHe should shoot himself in the fucking face

This is something I've talked about before on here. CaB isn't a hate site, it shouldn't be possible to mistake it for one. Sometimes I see stuff here and think it wouldn't go amiss on that hate/humour site that I don't want to specifically name - they thought they were a great laugh, with their edgy comments about celebrities. They were disgusting human beings, and I know we're anything but.

Barry Admin

Maybe don't repeat it?

Edit: thanks. For reference, it was another example of the OP overstepping the line on a particulaely sensitive topic.

Video Game Fan 2000

To be honest, I did find the posted article funny because its so transparent.

It's obviously written "haha, petulant turd of a small child won't eat anything but crisps, have you in your life heard anything as ridiculous" and not "supply chain issues are distressing to people with orthorexia". There's zero sympathy for them in the article, its more keen for us to know the specifics of the crisp flavour than the disorder.

Cynical click bait. Walkers crisps.

pigamus

Quote from: The Mollusk on November 19, 2021, 02:27:03 PMOn the other hand... the kid's giving it the Dreamworks face in the photo in the article. Look at her. She knows what she's doing.

Mum: "What should we have for dinner tonight sweetie?"
Kid: <that face> "Crisps?"

Really reading the room with this

chveik

at least we can all agree that the BBC sucks

Rich Uncle Skeleton

The New Fragrance.

Blue Jam

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 19, 2021, 01:44:39 PMActually now I think about it, my fiancee's cousin only eats chicken nuggets and chips. Even at Christmas dinner he only ate chicken nuggets and chips. First time I met him we ended up talking about me being vegan, and he adamantly refused to imagine a future where people ate meat less often and said he would never be a part of such a future. I wish I knew he had a very restricted diet at the time, it was like I was arguing blindfolded.

He must be about 40 now and he's still got his hair and fingernails.

I've got an uncle who only eats meat and potatoes. Every time we went out for a family meal it had to be a mixed grill for him or (at a push) steak and chips or GTFO. Can't have a burger because it might have salad in it, can't have a curry because it might have onions etc. He'll eat potatoes in all their forms but parsnips, sweet potatoes and any other comparably unthreatening bland and starchy root veg is a no-no.

I was a picky eater myself as a child but it was partly because my mother wasn't a great cook (my father was, but was lazy) and I only started eating lots of fruit and veg once I left home and learned to cook. My uncle as no such excuse as his wife/my aunt is a great cook. In particular she does a fantastic Christmas dinner which everyone looks forward to all year, and he'll just sit there with a plate of turkey and spuds (both boiled and roasted). No Christmas pudding either because that's got fruit in it.

And on top of that his son-in-law is a chef, and a damn good one. That time we had dinner at his restaurant was completely wasted on my uncle.

Still got all his fingernails. Completely bald though.

I have a friend who is in his 50s and admits he has never liked fruit and veg, but he does so with some embarrassment, and he still actually makes himself eat these things for health reasons.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 19, 2021, 12:23:38 PMI'd ask you to consider a) is it funny

Bluntly calling a toddler a cunt? To me, yes, yes it is. Not hilarious, like, but funny.

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 19, 2021, 12:23:38 PMor are you just trying to piss people off

No.

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 19, 2021, 12:23:38 PMand b) is it worth it. 

In hindsight, much more of an HS Art thread where it would have quickly sunk after a handful of views. It's a one-pager of a thread if ever there was one.

shoulders

The toddler is lucky it doesn't get one of those 'smacks' I've heard were meted out en masse.