Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:54:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling 2021: The Big Thread Machine

Started by madhair60, March 07, 2021, 08:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Not that I'd want anyone to be released (sexual predators aside), but Peyton seemed to be the floundering one of that pair. As you say, Billie was a present and relevant character. Not to mention, super entertaining. This is a real shame.

Ja'moke

Samoa Joe gone too. And Bo Dallas.

More to come apparently.

up_the_hampipe

Holy fuck.

People speculated Joe was taken off commentary for a comeback. This might be their worst spring clean yet.

BeardFaceMan

Fucking hell, it must be bad if Bo Dallas is gone.

up_the_hampipe

Full list (so far):

Samoa Joe
Mickie James
Peyton Royce
Billie Kay
Chelsea Green
Wesley Blake
Tucker
Kalisto
Bo Dallas

There's some lovely names for AEW, Impact and NWA to pick up there.

Ja'moke

Peyton is likely AEW bound with her husband (Shawn Spears) working there. Hopefully she brings Billie with her.

BeardFaceMan

Jesus, are they really going with the 'budget cuts' excuse again? You have to admire their balls, really.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on April 15, 2021, 08:02:55 PM
Jesus, are they really going with the 'budget cuts' excuse again? You have to admire their balls, really.

Spaffed all their money on Bad Bunny and his Wrestlemania truck.

Imagine having Tamina Snuka and Nia Jax on your books and thinking, yeah, we need to let the Iiconics go. And put a belt on Nia for good measure.

Deanjam

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on April 15, 2021, 07:57:47 PM
Full list (so far):

Mickie James
Peyton Royce
Billie Kay
Chelsea Green
Wesley Blake
Tucker
Kalisto
Bo Dallas

There's some lovely names for AEW, Impact and NWA to pick up there.

Looking at it from their perpective, I'm gonna guess their thinking on all of them.

Samoa Joe - injury prone. Not a Vince guy. Honestly its quite amazing he was there in the first place.
Mickie James - considered old by WWE (I know!) but it's true. She's always referred to as a legend, a Vince euphemism for past it.
Peyton Royce - the more talented of the duo, but nothing being done with her. Also has an accent.
Billie Kay - the less talented of the duo (you lot are crazy).
Chelsea Green - Done nothing with her
Wesley Blake - Done nothing with him
Tucker - Doomed after split with Otis
Kalisto - Talented, but all luchardors in WWE are doomed
Bo Dallas - lucky to have been employed this long considering they've not shown any inclination to do anything with him

Re AEW, I would sign Joe, James, Royce and Kalisto. The rest, sorry but no.

Deanjam

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on April 15, 2021, 08:22:23 PM
Imagine having Tamina Snuka and Nia Jax on your books and thinking, yeah, we need to let the Iiconics go. And put a belt on Nia for good measure.

Vince loves his Samoans. Except the ones called Joe.

Deanjam

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on April 15, 2021, 08:02:55 PM

There's really no excuse. Just say you want to create room on the roster for other talent. AEW needs a talent dump once things open up as well.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Deanjam on April 15, 2021, 08:46:00 PM
Looking at it from their perpective, I'm gonna guess their thinking on all of them.

Samoa Joe - injury prone. Not a Vince guy. Honestly its quite amazing he was there in the first place.
Mickie James - considered old by WWE (I know!) but it's true. She's always referred to as a legend, a Vince euphemism for past it.
Peyton Royce - the more talented of the duo, but nothing being done with her. Also has an accent.
Chelsea Green - Done nothing with her
Wesley Blake - Done nothing with him
Tucker - Doomed after split with Otis
Kalisto - Talented, but all luchardors in WWE are doomed
Bo Dallas - lucky to have been employed this long considering they've not shown any inclination to do anything with him

Re AEW, I would sign Joe, James, Royce and Kalisto. The rest, sorry but no.

Nothing being done with them is not a good excuse. It's their company and their talent. They can DO SOMETHING if they want.

They brought in Women's Tag Titles and broke up one of the only real tag teams in the IIconics, a team that worked perfectly together. It was said to be a singles push for Peyton Royce and they ended up just sticking her in another tag team with Lacey Evans.

Heavy Machinery were also over and a fun tag team. They split them up and turned Tucker and then didn't follow up at all. Tucker went into the 24/7 title picture, Otis, who was super over last year, ended up being turned heel and put in another tag team with Gable.

BeardFaceMan

That's what always annoys me when they release someone and say "creative has nothing for you", surely that's a problem with creative as well, why aren't you releasing some of those people? Or the people who think it's a good idea to hire them in the first place?

And these releases are coming after WWE jumped on the NFT bandwagon amd sold a load of GIFs for a few hundred thousand dollars. But budget cuts.

Deanjam

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 15, 2021, 08:55:42 PM
Nothing being done with them is not a good excuse. It's their company and their talent. They can DO SOMETHING if they want.

Eh? I said I was looking at it from there way of thinking. Never said I agreed with it.

Ja'moke

In other news, AEW did 1.2 MILLION viewers last night!!

Moribunderast

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 15, 2021, 09:03:53 PM

Just saw that on Bryan Alvarez' twitter. That has shocked me.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Deanjam on April 15, 2021, 09:02:32 PM
Eh? I said I was looking at it from there way of thinking. Never said I agreed with it.

Sorry didn't mean to sound like I was having a go at you. More at WWE.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Deanjam on April 15, 2021, 08:46:00 PM

Don't think it's crazy to enjoy a great character in a medium thats main focus should be characters.

Deanjam

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 15, 2021, 09:04:54 PM
Sorry didn't mean to sound like I was having a go at you. More at WWE.

It's okay, but I'll see you in the THUNDERDOME!

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 15, 2021, 09:07:15 PM
Don't think it's crazy to enjoy a great character in a medium thats main focus should be characters.

It's spelt G. R. A. T. E.

Deanjam

Yowza! I hear they put on a great show too. Hopefully a lot will stick around.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Deanjam on April 15, 2021, 09:11:30 PM
Yowza! I hear they put on a great show too. Hopefully a lot will stick around.

It was one of the best top to bottom episodes in a while. Opening with that fun MJF and Tyson backstage bit that set up later in the night, that might have helped some casuals stick around.

Then onto a near 25 minute barn burner of a tag title match.

Red Velvet vs Jade was a fun fight.

Jericho had his best match in ages at the top of the hour against Dax.

And that Attitude Era style brawl to end the night between Darby and Hardy.

Mobius

Wow that's a great rating.

Disgusted by these WWE releases but not surprised. Exactly 1 year to the day since the last bulk release too... nice!

Imagine not wanting Joe as a manager or trainer or promo teacher, even if he is too beat up to wrestle.

Split up the Iconics then shitcan them!

Nice to see good lad Jaxson Ryker still employed though hey?

CUNTS

up_the_hampipe

Jericho's Broken Skull Sessions mysteriously disappears off the Network

Ja'moke

The crazy thing is that AEW was up against part one of The Challenge finale and the NBA last night, and still did that number. A good sign moving forward, especially with that Blood & Guts show coming up.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 15, 2021, 10:00:20 PM
Jericho's Broken Skull Sessions mysteriously disappears off the Network

I still can't believe Vince okay'd this. To me, it comes off as usual stupid, overconfident Vince saying "yeah, fuck it, we'll promote AEW, who the fuck are they, they're no competiton" when it's a pretty dumb business move for the worlds greatest wrestling promoter. The next few weeks are going to be very interesting for both AEW and NXT to see what happens to their ratings once they settle a bit, but I'd be willing to bet that that bump to over 1 mil didn't come from Iron Mike, or even NXT moving nights, it came from Jericho on Peacock.

Mobius

Mojo just got binned as well

Honestly thought he'd been chucked last year

They haven't mentioned NXT people yet either, I'm sure some of them will be shown the door

up_the_hampipe

All these statements that come out from the fired wrestlers thanking WWE and/or Vince for the opportunities. You got sacked and you're saying thank you? This is why they get walked all over. Stop being "the little kid with a dream" and be the actual wrestler fighting for your spot.

Mobius

Yeah I fucking hate it. Up to them I suppose but fuck man you just got fired by a billionaire corporation you should want to burn the fuckers to the ground.

Such a cult. Sad to see guys and girls who dreamt of joining WWE not realise that WWE don't give a fuck.

Then again it seems like 50% of wrestlers they let go end up back there in some capacity so I suppose you don't want to burn too many bridges...