Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:28:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Road House (2024) - remake with Jake Gyllenhaal

Started by Blinder Data, January 26, 2024, 02:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

never seen the original. nevertheless, this looks like a truckload of dumb fun

Gyllenhaal is always good value for me. hopefully Conor Macgregor doesn't stink the place up

Amazon has robbed us of the chance of watching these muscly men kick fuck out of each other on the big screen, causing director Doug Liman to boycott the premiere. arrives on Prime on 21 March

Butchers Blind

I wonder why they thought there was a need to remake this? The original wasn't particularly great but not awful either with nothing of real note in the script. Would probably fit in that 'middle of the road' film thread.

AliasTheCat

The original is great in that it's like the template for all vanity action films- except it isn't one and Swayze didn't write or direct it, although I wouldn't be surprised if he had a hand in making sure his character was more "badass": he's indestructible, he's spiritual, he's irresistible, he's complicated, he does martial arts with his bum out and dammit, he's been hurt before.
I had no idea there was a remake and scoffed, but then I saw the trailer and it actually looks quite good- by which I mean almost identical to the original

Blumf

Don't know how you'd beat the weirdness of the original. An infinite onion of layers; from the surface of red neck beatings, through the prism of omnisexual gaze, onwards to questions about who the real villain is. No remake can capture it.

The reference work on the film:
https://seantcollins.com/category/roadhouse/

AliasTheCat

Although Gyllenhall's Dalton doesn't seem to take himself quite as seriously as Swayze's dalton which is an error

AliasTheCat

Quote from: Blumf on January 26, 2024, 02:40:55 PMDon't know how you'd beat the weirdness of the original. An infinite onion of layers; from the surface of red neck beatings, through the prism of omnisexual gaze, onwards to questions about who the real villain is. No remake can capture it.

The reference work on the film:
https://seantcollins.com/category/roadhouse/

Yeah, who's going to play the weird Sam Elliot father/bro/unrequited-lust-object role in the new one?

Jim_MacLaine

Nope, not having this. The original is unsurpassable.

And Connor whathisface is a cunt.

phantom_power

I am put off by McGregor but Liman is generally pretty reliable so this could be decent

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: AliasTheCat on January 26, 2024, 02:43:24 PMYeah, who's going to play the weird Sam Elliot father/bro/unrequited-lust-object role in the new one?

More importantly are they going to keep the scene where the hick landlord is perving on dalton as he does his stretches?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Butchers Blind on January 26, 2024, 02:31:19 PMI wonder why they thought there was a need to remake this?

The over fifties market who member it from the eighties?

Gulftastic

It cannot surpass the ending of the original, where
Spoiler alert
the towns' small business owners commit a murder, then all laugh like it's the final scene in an episode of He Man.
[close]

Sebastian Cobb

I quite like how Ben Gazarra is sort of playing the script to the letter but knowing he could probably improvise a much better villain.

Shouting at his girlfriend for playing a bit of electro on the boom box. Grr!

Mister Six

Everything about the original is incredible and great fun. It's one of those lightning-in-a-bottle films, like RoboCop, that has no business being remade or even receiving sequels.

I'll still watch this because we have Prime, I like Gyllenhaal and why not? But it's totally unnecessary and I hate that thuggish petty criminal and alleged rapist Conor McGregor has a career rather than a debilitating flesh-eating virus.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 26, 2024, 03:51:13 PMI quite like how Ben Gazarra is sort of playing the script to the letter but knowing he could probably improvise a much better villain.

Shouting at his girlfriend for playing a bit of electro on the boom box. Grr!
Given the substantial bruise on her face, he does a bit more than shout at her.

"Road House" is perfect. My mate once showed it in his bar every Friday night for about 18 months, then when the bar closed we made it til Facebook Watch bothered to remove movies (the screenshot of Keith David in that Sean Collins blog is one of his). Talking of Keith David, he must have had a chunk of character left on the cutting room floor, which is a damn shame.

Anyway, it's not about the old one! I have to assume this steady trickle of remakes of gen-X classics makes money, in one way or another. They don't seem particularly beloved, they never win any awards, but we keep getting them. "21 Jump Street" is the only one I look back on with any fondness - there's "ChiPs", "Robocop", "Baywatch"...in fact, there's a whole list of the bloody things. At their best, they're nearly as good as the originals, but there's not many of those.

By all means, make a movie about an MMA fighter turned bouncer. Might be interesting! But why attach this name and expectations to it? Honestly, I'd have preferred the Ronda Rousey version that was being touted a few years back.

EDIT: I just rewatched the trailer. Connor MacGregor is really bad, isn't he? Not a bit of the brilliance of Marshall Teague in what I assume is the same role - and it looks like they've given him some of Ben Gazzara's scenes (and dialogue written by a dad-joke simulator).  The lines from the original just make me think "wish I was watching that". If they'd set it in rural Missouri again, they'd have had to put more meth labs in there.

I'm sure it'll be entirely competent. I like Liman and Gyllenhaal in other things. But why bother?

bgmnts

Yeah this is just baffling.

It has made me want to rewatch Road House again, though, so that's a good thing.

dontpaintyourteeth

what is point road house 2024 remake with jake gyllenhaal?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Mister Six on January 26, 2024, 03:58:56 PMI'll still watch this because we have Prime, I like Gyllenhaal and why not? But it's totally unnecessary and I hate that thuggist petty criminal and alleged rapist Conor McGregor still has a career rather than a debilitating flesh-eating virus.
Mike Tyson is a convicted rapist and he's been in Hollywood films and had his own animated TV show, so it's hardly surprising.

Mister Six

The Culture Bunker

No doubt, and I agree, but it shows you can be even worse than McGregor and high-profile people will still want to be around you because you were good at your job if it makes the cash (see also Polanski and the numerous Hollywood types willing to defend him). It's sadly the world we live in.

Mister Six

SteveDave

Fuck Doug Liman. He did me out of thousands of pounds.

bgmnts

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 26, 2024, 06:07:41 PMNo doubt, and I agree, but it shows you can be even worse than McGregor and high-profile people will still want to be around you because you were good at your job if it makes the cash (see also Polanski and the numerous Hollywood types willing to defend him).

Isn't it absolutely fucking mental that Polanski was somehow still working and being adored despite being an actual unrepentant sex criminal, on the run from the law? Mostly due to his celebrity mates?

I'm quite cynical to it all but Polanski just blows my mind still.

Sebastian Cobb

Yes it's mad, no stigma for any big names that are happy to be in his films either.

Yet people got blacklisted and reported for being a bit left wing.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: bgmnts on January 27, 2024, 12:10:42 AMIsn't it absolutely fucking mental that Polanski was somehow still working and being adored despite being an actual unrepentant sex criminal, on the run from the law? Mostly due to his celebrity mates?

I'm quite cynical to it all but Polanski just blows my mind still.
It doesn't me - see the Tyson example. He spent time locked up for rape and yet he's a celebrated figure now for his fighting. I know Norm McDonald gets a lot of love on here, but he can fuck right off for doing voice work in a show alongside Tyson. Jim Rash too, as much as I loved him in 'Community'. I struggle to imagine the mindset of anyone who'd willingly work with a rapist, but that's Hollywood, I guess.

Compare to Susan Sarandon getting dropped by her agency over her stance on Gaza recently.

Blinder Data

madhair60

he said "can i have thousands of pounds please" and when SteveDave gullibly handed it over Liman done a runner

SteveDave

A song of mine was going to be used in the film "Jumper".

A contract was sent and myself and my label got a lawyer to look at it and everything.

All was golden until we got a call saying that Doug fucking Liman had changed his mind.

That evening I smashed up my VHS of "Swingers" in the garden.

madhair60

ironically he ended up using one of my songs, "Jumper in the Night (Up He Goes)"

George White

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 26, 2024, 05:46:47 PMMike Tyson is a convicted rapist and he's been in Hollywood films and had his own animated TV show, so it's hardly surprising.
McGregor is Irish, and there is nothing the Irish love more than protecting and enabling rapists.
Both Catholics and Prods.