Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:26:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Is it possible to continue blocking adverts on YouTube?

Started by Tombola, October 27, 2023, 01:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tombola

I've finally had to relent and pause Adblock on YouTube, and it's now as unwatchable as television. Any solution to this?

The Guppy

uBlock Origin has been most reliable for me, but nothing is currently 100% reliable because YouTube keep updating their anti-adblock code.

A workaround if your adblocker isn't working is to click "share" under the video, then click "embed". That shows a mini player, but it'll play in fullscreen too.

Sebastian Cobb

There's an ongoing discussion about it in this thread https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?msg=5418277

Ublock and Privacybadger on Vivaldi is working for me for now, or perhaps they just haven't got to me yet.

I note yt-dlp works still.

Endicott

I've only encountered this problem in Chrome when using windows 7. Recently it stared forcing me to switch off ublock origin. On the same PC, Firefox plus ublock still works. I think part of the problem must be that Chrome on Win 7 hasn't updated for at least a year or more.

On a Win 11 machine, Chome plus ublock still works fine for me. I also have Adblock plus on one laptop, I just checked that in chrome and it's forcing me to switch it off, but ublock is still stopping youtube ads anyway.

steveh

Annoyingly I find it currently only works with uBlock Origin if you only use the uBlock lists, but then those aren't quite enough for stopping ads and banners elsewhere.

Google are currently testing different methods of blocking ads each time you open the page so doing a hard refresh will sometimes make it work when it wouldn't before.

Tombola

Thanks for the suggestions. Nothing working yet but I'll keep an eye on the other thread.

hermitical

uBlock Origin doing the business for me, but I do have to purge caches and update every so often

Endicott

For what it's worth, my chrome on win 7 is OK again now, after doing the purge cache and update on uBlock Origin. It didn't seem to help yesterday evening, but today looks like the uBO coders have made an update.

perplexingprocrastinator

Go to 613tube.com

Paste the url from Youtube for the video you wanna watch.

Bada-bing, bada-boom.

(Works for most videos, who knows if the site will get nixed by the copyright bastards soon - but right now, it's good :)

Uncle TechTip

The kodi addon is still working mostly, some clips don't play but no ads. You do have the awful interface though, it's down to how you use the site.

Memorex MP3

The moment adblockers stop working on YouTube I'll probably stop using it entirely outside of tutorial type stuff.  The level they've increased the amount of advertising over the last decade without me dealing with it has meant I'm totally repelled any time I encounter it

Sebastian Cobb

I'm equally unlikely to pay Google or let them rub dogshit and glass in my eyes.

touchingcloth

I'm still not over my fury about region locking on DVD players.

DrumsAndWires

try updating adblock and see if that helps

i have a youtube account that for whatever reason never gives me adverts. it's glitched out or something, because for years i've been able to watch videos without adverts or the need for adblocks. feels like i'm cheating death.

steveh

Another alternative add-on is Fadblock, which skips ads rather than preventing them from loading so Google still thinks they have been shown. You might get a brief flash of an advert but then it moves on to the video. Works consistently for me unlike other methods. Needs you to disable other adblockers on youtube.com.

https://github.com/0x48piraj/fadblock

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: DrumsAndWires on October 27, 2023, 10:19:00 PMi have a youtube account that for whatever reason never gives me adverts. it's glitched out or something, because for years i've been able to watch videos without adverts or the need for adblocks. feels like i'm cheating death.

My Spotify was like that for years.  I was never 100% sure why but my best guess is the domains I'd blocked in my hosts file (to block youtube ads) were doing the same for Spotify (if they were getting their ads served from the same domains.)

Ads are no longer being blocked on youtube so I need to have a look and block more shit.

BJBMK2

As posted in the other thread, I've been watching stuff on Chrome's incognito, while signed out of my account, and that's been working great for the last couple of days. But I expect them to crack down on that soon enough.

Plus watching videos embedded on this very site (and presumably other sites which allow embeds), seems to still be working as it always did.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: perplexingprocrastinator on October 27, 2023, 07:31:12 PMGo to 613tube.com

Bada-bing, bada-boom.

(Works for most videos, who knows if the site will get nixed by the copyright bastards soon - but right now, it's good :)
That works a treat for me, ta!

FredNurke

ABP seems to be working again for me, after a glitchy period where the adverts weren't displaying but I was getting 5-10 seconds of blackness in the video pane.

perplexingprocrastinator

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on October 28, 2023, 06:53:20 PMThat works a treat for me, ta!

Fab! Now don't tell anyone else and perhaps it'll stay up for a bit, ha ha :)

Famous Mortimer

AdBlocker Ultimate and Firefox are still working fine for me.

steveh

This is a good piece on the current battle between YouTube and adblockers: https://www.404media.co/youtubes-war-on-adblockers-shows-how-google-controls-the-internet/.

Also can probably ignore that FadBlock suggestion above as while the approach seemed to work it's now become a subscription add-on.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: steveh on November 03, 2023, 10:54:40 AMThis is a good piece on the current battle between YouTube and adblockers: https://www.404media.co/youtubes-war-on-adblockers-shows-how-google-controls-the-internet/.

Also can probably ignore that FadBlock suggestion above as while the approach seemed to work it's now become a subscription add-on.

Anybody got the non paywalled version? /s

Endicott

Barry Admin

Quote from: perplexingprocrastinator on October 27, 2023, 07:31:12 PMGo to 613tube.com

Bada-bing, bada-boom.

Hope this works on Android, I'm absolutely sick of this cunt who wants to teach me 4 piano chords.  Can't opt out of the advert like you usually can. 

I get really weird adverts as I block cookies a lot.  I had an AI Elon Musk constantly trying to sell me stock tips, and some weird cunts advertising a fucking sword the other night.  But I can't put up with the piano wanker for much longer.

Endicott

FWIW on android I'm using Firefox Nightly as browser which allows extensions or add-ons and I use uBlock Origin and that's playing youtube ad free

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Endicott on November 03, 2023, 01:47:08 PMFWIW on android I'm using Firefox Nightly as browser which allows extensions or add-ons and I use uBlock Origin and that's playing youtube ad free

If you use android there's an even better option, you can download revanced manager from https://github.com/ReVanced/revanced-manager/releases

download the latest compatible youtube apk (it'll tell you the recommended version) from apkmirror.com

then use revanced manager to patch the apk, that'll give you a version of youtube that thinks you've subscribed to premium, no ads, background playback etc. It can add back in some features like dislikes too.

Likewise if you use a fire stick or an android tv, there's https://github.com/yuliskov/smarttube smarttube which is an alternate client with adblocking and sponsorblocking built in.

perplexingprocrastinator

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 03, 2023, 01:18:13 PMHope this works on Android, I'm absolutely sick of this cunt who wants to teach me 4 piano chords.  Can't opt out of the advert like you usually can. 

I get really weird adverts as I block cookies a lot.  I had an AI Elon Musk constantly trying to sell me stock tips, and some weird cunts advertising a fucking sword the other night.  But I can't put up with the piano wanker for much longer.

Being an arts twat I'm on a mac using Firefox FWIW - I wish you luck. I was aghast when years of happy Adblocked Youtube came to an end the other month.

Personally I'm constantly assailed by (the first 5 seconds of) absolutely interchangeable booming voiced blokes going "While you were sweating it out at the office I just made 30k before breakfast while swimming in the pool in my Ferrari with this foolproof syst-" [SKIP].

Watching Youtube ads really makes you think: how the fuck is our society still staggering along? I think we're almost done. I think we're almost done.

And that's probably for the best

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 03, 2023, 02:29:05 PMLikewise if you use a fire stick or an android tv, there's https://github.com/yuliskov/smarttube smarttube which is an alternate client with adblocking and sponsorblocking built in.

Thanks for this, I installed it on my Nvidia Shield last night and it's a game-changer. I was on the verge of signing up for a Premium subscription so you've saved me a few quid. It works like a charm and I like how there's a lot of tweakability in the settings. Nice one!

Camp Tramp

I was able to refresh the page to get rid of the adblocker notice, now it seems that loophole has been filled.

Oh well