Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:20:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Doctor Who - Part 3

Started by Ambient Sheep, October 21, 2016, 05:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Yeah, Philip Hinchcliffe's tenure hasn't ever been beaten really.

I occasionally wonder if he would have continued to produce consistently brilliant stories if he'd stayed and not been replaced with Graham Williams.  We'll never know.  Perhaps he'd already served his natural span and Mary Whitehouse made no real difference to the show forever by turning it into a pantomime.  And wrecking it.

We'll never know.

The bitch.

purlieu

I'm not sure I've ever felt so out-of-step with common opinion than when it comes to Tom Baker-era Who. I like series 12, but after that find it a massive slog - the occasional story aside - until Graham Williams comes along and suddenly I remember why I loved it again.

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 27, 2017, 11:13:24 PM
It probably would be Seeds of Doom next, except I haven't got that one on DVD. Planet of Evil has plenty of horror movie tropes, he might like that. Ark in Space is pretty gruesome too but the effects aren't really up to showing it convincingly.
Oh just give him a double bill of The Horns of Nimon and The Leisure Hive and be done with it.

pigamus

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 27, 2017, 11:13:24 PM
It probably would be Seeds of Doom next, except I haven't got that one on DVD. Planet of Evil has plenty of horror movie tropes, he might like that. Ark in Space is pretty gruesome too but the effects aren't really up to showing it convincingly.

Oh pffffffft. Nobody gives a shit about the fucking bubble wrap. I once showed The Ark in Space to a girl and she liked it.

purlieu

Despite the body horror, it's not very gritty though, is it? After Genesis it would seem incredibly 'clean'.

pigamus

Show him Underworld, that'll make him cry.

Norton Canes

I was thinking of going straight in with Kinda.

purlieu

Invite some of his friends round for a Time and the Rani & The Twin Dilemma double-header.

Replies From View

Nobody's mentioned 'Terror of the Zygons' yet.

It's good.

Small Man Big Horse

News for US Who fans - You can see The Five Doctors on the big screen being mocked by the Rifftrax guys later this year, more info is here: http://www.avclub.com/article/rifftrax-gang-taking-classic-doctor-who-special-252798

Norton Canes

Quote from: purlieu on March 28, 2017, 01:09:27 PM
Invite some of his friends round for a Time and the Rani & The Twin Dilemma double-header

Don't go there. Time and the Rani is my current classic series DVD. Usually I watch a story over a week or so but I'm getting through this at the rate of an episode a fortnight. I just can't bring myself to watch any more. Might cut strsight to the extras.

daf

Just focus on Langford's bum - it's the only way I got through it.

The Roofdog

Quote from: maett on March 27, 2017, 03:30:48 PM
had it been a one off 6 episode science fiction drama, with the daleks and Doctor substituted with similar alternatives I really think it would be regarded, by more than just fans of the show, as a near legendary mid 70s BBC production.

It's weird that such an iconic story doesn't have the TARDIS in it at all.

Replies From View

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 28, 2017, 03:01:01 PM
Don't go there. Time and the Rani is my current classic series DVD. Usually I watch a story over a week or so but I'm getting through this at the rate of an episode a fortnight. I just can't bring myself to watch any more. Might cut strsight to the extras.

Little fact:  it was initially conceived as a Colin Baker story, with the sixth Doctor regenerating at the end of the fourth episode rather than moments into the first.  Baker wasn't just being asked back "to shoot a regeneration scene" like many people think, but an entire story.

The final version of the story has one of the disposable characters
Spoiler alert
sacrificing his life to save everyone
[close]
; in the original version,
Spoiler alert
it was the sixth Doctor making the sacrifice
[close]

A far better way for the sixth Doctor to go out, and a stronger start to that season and the seventh Doctor's tenure more generally, I reckon.  Oh well.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 27, 2017, 04:09:57 PM
And I was really pleased that my son enjoyed it so much. It's the first classic era 'Who he's watched (except for a few monstery ones I showed him when he was really small ) and I was worried he'd find it too talky, and the pace a bit leisurely...

I'm surprised as well, as when I bought and watched the Genesis DVD around eight years ago, I really struggled myself to get through one or two of the middle episodes.  I started watching it with a couple of my step-children and, although initially interested, they drifted away halfway through episode 1, although the
Spoiler alert
Dalek appearing at the end
[close]
did capture their attention momentarily.  But they didn't bother to join me for the rest of the episodes, and I could understand why by the time I'd got to episode 3 or something.  Given they were both still in single figures at the time, I probably should have tried them on one of the faster-moving more cartoony ones like Carnival of Monsters.

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 27, 2017, 04:09:57 PMNot sure what to show him next. Hinchliffe again I'm sure, but he loved the grittiness of Genesis, and as I said up-thread, 'gothic' as they are, none of the other Hinchcliffes are quite this grim.

My first thought is, as always, Pyramids of Mars - as Deanjam says, it's just about perfect, including possibly the best first-episode cliffhanger that Who ever produced, from the minute Namin starts his mad organ playing all the hairs go up on the back of my neck.  I enjoyed it as a kid when it first went out, but I absolutely ADORE it as an adult.

Quote from: maett on March 27, 2017, 04:25:09 PMSeeds of Doom? I always thought that was pretty nasty with the body horror, Scorby drowning, Harrison Chase
Spoiler alert
copping it in his own compost maker
[close]

God, that seriously freaked me out as a kid![nb]But as we all know if anybody's been paying attention and gives a shit, it didn't give me nightmares: only Escape into Night and Quatermass and the Pit did that.[/nb]  I may have been eleven years old, but the horror of that moment stuck with me for a long time...
Spoiler alert
  feet first 
[close]
, for God's sake!!  Spent far too long having queasy thoughts about how that must have felt.

Quote from: purlieu on March 27, 2017, 07:35:22 PMFirst time I watched Seeds of Doom I saw it coming as soon as the machine was introduced, and thus spent the bulk of those episodes tensely waiting for the hideous inevitability to happen. One of the few Who moments to genuinely unsettle me as an adult.

Being a naive kid, I don't think I spotted the Chekov's Gun, at least not that I remember.  I've not seen Seeds of Doom as an adult, but funnily enough I got the DVD for Christmas, and have been looking forward (well, kind of) to see if it has the same effect on me 41 years later.

Can still hear the clanking noise
Spoiler alert
  and the scream 
[close]
in my head, all these years later.

weekender

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on March 28, 2017, 05:52:38 PM
I've not seen Seeds of Doom as an adult.

You really should do this, it's awesome.  2nd best T Baker after Genesis imho.

Mind you, I just put Robots of Death as 3rd in my list and by now you're questioning why Pyramids of Mars isn't in my top three, and therefore my entire judgement.  Hey, I'm just a guy, you know?

PS I also find Terror of the Zygons a bit overrated.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: weekender on March 28, 2017, 06:47:00 PM
You really should do this, it's awesome.  2nd best T Baker after Genesis imho.

Mind you, I just put Robots of Death as 3rd in my list...

I actually rather like that one myself - one of the last ones I watched as a kid before I got Williams/Adamsed to death.

I tried to show it to a friend of mine last year (it came round on the Horror channel) but had to give up ten minutes in due to the incoming massive mockery of the costumes and the fact that nothing happened for those first ten minutes.

Quote from: weekender on March 28, 2017, 06:47:00 PM...and by now you're questioning why Pyramids of Mars isn't in my top three,...

Weak fourth episode?

(Although I don't agree with this common criticism, I think it's fine, the puzzles intrigued the hell out of me as a kid, and Sarah
Spoiler alert
trapped in the glass belljar
[close]
frightened the hell out of me.  I didn't notice the alleged similarity to Death to the Daleks (and can't comment now as I've not seen it again), and being a kid who was into all things radio-technical, the
Spoiler alert
  thing about the radio signal taking eight(?) minutes to get back to Earth was a brilliant resolution 
[close]
and I don't know why people slag it off as being a cop-out.  It's totally not, it's utterly legitimate physics.)

Quote from: weekender on March 28, 2017, 06:47:00 PM...and therefore my entire judgement.  Hey, I'm just a guy, you know?

Nah, but I might start calling you Zaphod.

Quote from: weekender on March 28, 2017, 06:47:00 PMPS I also find Terror of the Zygons a bit overrated.

I want to see that one again as it's so highly-rated, but I have to say I remember very little about it despite being nearly eleven when it aired, so it can't have been that spectacular.  I remember the Zygons themselves and their wonderful blobby spaceship controls (spent ages trying to work out how the hell they knew what any of the settings were), and the Loch Ness monster of course, but I don't remember the shapeshifting at all, so it was a massive surprise to me when they did that in New Who... "Since when did Zygons shapeshift?!?!  <googles>  Oh, they always did. *blush*"

Deanjam

Zygons is right up my street. Fog-covered highlands. Mysterious castle. Monster destroying the buggery out of things. Creepy cool aliens.

Ian Marter is especially good as his evil duplicate.

weekender

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on March 28, 2017, 07:11:54 PMI tried to show it to a friend of mine last year (it came round on the Horror channel) but had to give up ten minutes in due to the incoming massive mockery of the costumes and the fact that nothing happened for those first ten minutes.

From memory, I think there's a lot happening in that first 10 minutes that people don't realise.  Character positioning/certain robots in the background etc.

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on March 28, 2017, 07:11:54 PMNah, but I might start calling you Zaphod.

Hah, never any doubt about the reference, knew you'd get it.

Now fuck off and watch the Seeds of Doom, like I'm going to :)

Yours

weeky x etc

maett

Quote from: Deanjam on March 28, 2017, 07:28:02 PM
Zygons is right up my street. Fog-covered highlands. Mysterious castle. Monster destroying the buggery out of things. Creepy cool aliens.

Ian Marter is especially good as his evil duplicate.

I adore the incidental music for that one, too. Gorgeous.

Camp Tramp

State of Decay is pretty ghoulish, I'm a big fan of Warriors Gate though, it is so different to anything before or since and has a lovely morbid tone to it.

Replies From View

Quote from: Camp Tramp on March 29, 2017, 08:00:40 PM
I'm a big fan of Warriors Gate though, it is so different to anything before or since and has a lovely morbid tone to it.

I agree with you there.  I think the closest Doctor Who ever got again was Ghost Light, but I often struggle with Keff McCulloch's incidental music.

daf

The Two(ish) Doctors - Davison and Eccleston both make an appearance in The 'Brian Pern: A Tribute' show [nb]around 11 minutes in[/nb] -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08kz93t

Drop the Sonic Device!

Norton Canes

Quote from: Replies From View on March 29, 2017, 10:27:12 PM
I agree with you there.  I think the closest Doctor Who ever got again was Ghost Light, but I often struggle with Keff McCulloch's incidental music

Kinda was very surreal and symbolic, also.

Camp Tramp

Quote from: Replies From View on March 29, 2017, 10:27:12 PM
I agree with you there.  I think the closest Doctor Who ever got again was Ghost Light, but I often struggle with Keff McCulloch's incidental music.

Keff didn't do Ghostlight, it was Mark Ayres.

Mark Ayres was a breath of fresh air toward the end, but the mixing in Ghostlight did it no favors.

purlieu

Ghost Light is beautiful, but the audio and slightly dingy lighting make it feel like a particularly bad Hal Hartley film at times.

Malcy

Quote from: purlieu on March 27, 2017, 11:54:46 PM
I'm not sure I've ever felt so out-of-step with common opinion than when it comes to Tom Baker-era Who. I like series 12, but after that find it a massive slog.

My least favourite era is the Baker. Probably my least favourite Doctor as well. Find it all very overrated. Think it's just so popular because it was at a popularity height at the time and everyone remembers it.

daf

Though Baker's peak popularity was season 17 which, 'City of Death' aside, hasn't got a great reputation these days.

The Viewing figures throw up a few oddities - eg. the most popular Hartnell isn't a Dalek story, it's . . .
Spoiler alert
The Web Planet!
[close]
http://www.themindrobber.co.uk/ratings.html

purlieu

Series 12, 16 and 17 are my favourites of Tom's era.

purlieu

Quote from: daf on April 01, 2017, 02:21:30 PM
Though Baker's peak popularity was season 17
What's astonishing is the fall-off the following year. Episode 2 of Full Circle is one of only seven episodes in the show's history to have fewer than four million viewers. The whole series was watched by about as many people as tuned into the McCoy era.