Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:04:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I like Taylor Swift

Started by kalowski, March 23, 2024, 09:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dontpaintyourteeth

I don't think she's as good as Carly Rae Jepsen or Caroline Polachek or Charli XCX because yeah, her music is a bit beige in comparison to any of those, but it's alright. Some good tunes. That seems fine to me, I dunno.

kalowski

I don't think she's as good as Caroline Polachek who I think is brilliant, but I tried with Charlie XCX and couldn't abide her stuff.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

kngen

My 12-year-old was immovable from the TV for four fucking hours watching the Eras film, so I actually tried to listen in for once. I was expecting well-produced, well-executed ever-so-slightly edgy pop bangers in the vein of Girls Aloud or Lady Gaga but, as iamcoop said, it was just so bland and empty, albeit well-produced and well-executed. Mid-paced dirges, one after the other, with off-the-peg chord progressions and placeholder melodies - the singles that I was familiar with really stood out (unsurprisingly) in contrast, but I was amazed at how much filler she was happy to churn out - and on record, too.

Maybe release an album every three years and do some severe trimming, but that's never going to happen when 1). Your target audience is not known for their discerning nature and will happily buy multiple copies of your releases (and re-releases) regardless of content. 2) Your career is mapped out by hedge fund managers.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Toki on March 23, 2024, 10:07:52 PMCan I shock you? I think Shake It Off is a perfectly acceptable pop song. That Todd in the Shadows video where he's pointing out how the song is hypocritical, well, as valid as strictly biographical interpretations of songs are, who really gives a fuck if Swift is an 'OMG!' type.

Will never not find the name

Todd in the Shadows

Funny. Also, why on earth is this Shadow Todd man doing a biographical review of someone's songs? He doing the same for Randy Newman?

dontpaintyourteeth

I'm sure some of these youtube lads are quite insightful but their names are always so silly that I can't even bring myself to give them a chance.

Sincerely, don't paint your teeth

pigamus

The bland-to-good ratio is too high, that's true, especially the early albums, but the idea that something like Blank Space isn't even good pop is nonsense

kalowski

Bloody off the peg chord progressions! Do something innovative like Day Tripper (E-A-B) or Satisfaction (E-A-E-A-E-B-E-A) for example.

Toki

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on March 24, 2024, 04:45:05 PMWill never not find the name

Todd in the Shadows

Funny. Also, why on earth is this Shadow Todd man doing a biographical review of someone's songs? He doing the same for Randy Newman?

I don't know, this was like a decade or so ago, a friend of mine showed me that video. I can't remember if I've seen any others. It's all a bit tedious to me, like saying so-and-so wrote a song about loving dogs when they have famously own a cat. I'm really bad at making points on sunny days.

I reckon people who hate Taylor Swift as a pop culture entity are fair enough, she is everywhere and people seem to take her political statements as important. But if it comes down to me saying 'I like five of her songs' and people having a problem with that, those people are really high on their own farts.

Memorex MP3

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on March 24, 2024, 04:06:09 PMI don't think she's as good as Carly Rae Jepsen or Caroline Polachek or Charli XCX because yeah, her music is a bit beige in comparison to any of those, but it's alright. Some good tunes. That seems fine to me, I dunno.
You could chuck in Lana Del Rey here too, who collaborates with Jack Antonoff about as much as Swift, arguably hits similar beige notes compared to the likes of XCX, but just puts out far better songs than Swift that feel like a much stronger persona despite me knowing fuck all about her and way more than I want to about Swift.

dontpaintyourteeth

Yes Lana is much better too

again, I think TayTay is actually fairly good at music and that, not trying to gripe. But there's lots of better pop stuff around at the moment imo

twosclues

I'm goin Eras tour in June. Apparently you dress up as your favourite era. Reputation is all dark and broody and nobody-understands-me so I'll do that.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Joan Jett's enthusiasm for rock n roll wanes somewhat

Can I just stun you? I like a musical act that's not men playing guitars.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on March 24, 2024, 09:34:03 PMJoan Jett's enthusiasm for rock n roll wanes somewhat

Paying significantly more than a dime per play

phantom_power

I am surprised she hasn't been cancelled for banging on about sexy babies

Oosp

Fun fact: Taylor Swift made the worst Christmas song ever. A dreadful shitty mess, dribbling down Culture's leg, right there out in the open, brazen as you like. Imagine a) writing this, b) thinking it was good enough to record, c) recording it, d) putting your name to it, e) releasing it, f) showing your face in public again & g) being a scumbag billionaire who goes out of your way to shit on the planet from the sky

idunnosomename

Christmas Tree, Christmas Tree, Christmas Tree Farm
With its Christmas Tree tractor and its Christmas Tree barn
Yultide agriculture, all year long
Down at Christmas Tree Farm!

Is how i imagine that song goes.

chutnut

Quote from: Kankurette on March 23, 2024, 09:57:21 PMYou're a brave soul posting this here.

Quote from: Kankurette on March 24, 2024, 03:23:09 PMThis is the kind of thing I meant.

There's no rule in Oscillations saying we can't discuss pop music. Reminds me of someone being disgusted at me and others knowing about the Spice Girls' solo careers.

I'm not sure this is fair, your response doesn't seem to apply to anything anyone's said

AllisonSays

Quote from: phantom_power on March 25, 2024, 10:28:04 AMI am surprised she hasn't been cancelled for banging on about sexy babies

I'm mostly indifferent to T-Swift but I used to hear that one a fair bit and it is a baffling lyric. 'Sometimes I feel like everybody is a sexy baby/and I'm a monster on the hill'. Like, I understand the very common feeling she's trying to express - inadequacy, basically - but both clauses are so jarringly phrased.

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 25, 2024, 12:31:28 PMChristmas Tree, Christmas Tree, Christmas Tree Farm

Is how i imagine that song goes.

sometimes I feel like everyone is a sexy baby Jesus

The Mollusk

Quote from: curiousoranges on March 24, 2024, 09:56:12 PMCan I just stun you? I like a musical act that's not men playing guitars.

I don't think anyone in this thread is arguing against her simply for being a pop star though. I like a lot of pop music but I don't like Taylor Swift.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 25, 2024, 12:31:28 PMChristmas Tree, Christmas Tree, Christmas Tree Farm

Christmas christmas christmas christmas christmas party time!

Christmas christmas christmas christmas christmas party time!

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Oosp on March 25, 2024, 12:03:14 PM

This is like the sound track to one of those many many US Hallmark chanel christmas films, it's incredibly bland to say the least. Hopefully this was a one off blip.

Mr_Simnock

Just listened to 'Shake it off', 'Style', 'You belong with me' and 'Blank Space'. Just comes across as OK stuff, but nothing outstanding or interesting, I can't imagine me ever bothering with any of it again though.

iamcoop

Loads of pop music gets discussed in Oscillations.

The last Taylor Swift thread got trashed for two reasons, firstly it's because her music is fucking bin, and secondly (but most importantly of all) that thread was started by Madhair.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: iamcoop on March 25, 2024, 03:28:30 PMLoads of pop music gets discussed in Oscillations.

The last Taylor Swift thread got trashed for two reasons, firstly it's because her music is fucking bin, and secondly (but most importantly of all) that thread was started by Madhair.

These sort of comments can stop people taking part in this bit of the forum. Why don't we just let these people have a discussion about Taylor swift? I'm leaving this thread as I have nothing of worth to add if it's about the merits of the music, no point me being here.

madhair60

more anti-madhair sentiment, spilling out to my personal inbox as well as festooning the forum.

perhaps i should examine and ultimately change my behaviour?

HOW ABOUT NO.

MADHAIR 2024 YEAR OF MADHAIR

dontpaintyourteeth

iamcoop

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on March 25, 2024, 03:44:30 PMThese sort of comments can stop people taking part in this bit of the forum. Why don't we just let these people have a discussion about Taylor swift? I'm leaving this thread as I have nothing of worth to add if it's about the merits of the music, no point me being here.

Its a phrase the kids use and it means 'brilliantly invigorating noise'.

By the way my comment wasn't meant to be read entirely seriously, I've been fairly diplomatic in this thread up to now but I get your point, relentless positivity in every thread from here on in.