Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:19:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

This is the Modern World: Hancock's Half Hour edition

Started by gilbertharding, November 02, 2023, 03:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neveragain

Quote from: Toki on March 23, 2024, 09:58:22 PMSure you're not thinking of Hugh Lloyd? It's been a while since I've seen it, but he's the one who walks off with Hancock's sweets after.

No, definitely Thornton. He sounded much deeper than Hugh Lloyd.

And I've just checked, Frank Thornton did appear in the episode as 'Mr Johnson, a blood donor' according to Wikipedia. But to get to the meat of the matter, does anyone else remember this skit?

gilbertharding

Quote from: thenoise on March 23, 2024, 06:02:27 PMEveryone who was ever a 'barista' has heard it, usually multiple times a day, from some elderly 'character'
'I just want a normal coffee!! Do you sell normal coffee?'
Yes of course we do.
'I don't know what any of that "latte" stuff means'
I point to the picture on the wall with all the coffee definitions alwith pictures showing proportions of milk, coffee, foam etc. But they remain uneducated.

I'm probably some kind of arse, but happy as I am to ask for the drink I want by whatever name they choose to call it on their menu, I refuse to use their names for 'small, medium or large', and instead ask for small, medium, or large. 'Vente' indeed...

gilbertharding

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on March 23, 2024, 01:12:14 PMThanks! I ended up asking Dan Mersh on Twitter and here it is!

Spoiler alert
"That's very nearly a ball-full"
[close]

thenoise

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 25, 2024, 02:23:53 PMI'm probably some kind of arse, but happy as I am to ask for the drink I want by whatever name they choose to call it on their menu, I refuse to use their names for 'small, medium or large', and instead ask for small, medium, or large. 'Vente' indeed...

I don't go to Starbucks on account of it being dogplops, but 'large cappuccino' (for example) tells them everything they need to know to make your drink as you want it. 'Normal coffee' doesn't - do they want milk in it or not? Small and strong or watery and weak? These people always want a large Americano with a dash of cold milk, of course, but they haven't actually communicated this.