Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:06:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The return of Mark and Lard [split topic]

Started by Deskbound Cunt, March 18, 2024, 12:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr beat

Would love to see em but none of those venues are anywhere near me.  Hope they do some more dates.

gilbertharding

Was there beef between them? I kinda got the idea that they didn't like to talk about each other.

daf

QuoteIs this like getting Noel and Liam in the same room here? Did you have some horrendous falling out?

Mark : I'd love to give you a story. I really would.

Lard : We can make one up if you like?

Mark : I think we'd just exhausted everything. There was a lot of comedy involved, so the audience was split into people who would turn the music up and these two annoying blokes down, and vice versa.

Lard : Making each other laugh when you've been working together for 14 years gets harder and harder, so you have to be more edgy and throw in a few more curveballs. It got to the point where we were pushing our luck. Radio 1 certainly thought we were.

DrGreggles

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 18, 2024, 01:27:00 PMWas there beef between them? I kinda got the idea that they didn't like to talk about each other.

A mate of mine's story (so probably not true, or certainly exaggerated):

He was in a pub near Man City's ground before a game and saw Lard in there, so asked him "Is it true that you and Radcliffe fell out and don't talk anymore?"
Lard: "You can ask him yourself - he'll be here in a minute."
Sure enough, Radcliffe rocks up and Lard asks him the same question, by which point my mate wants the place to fall in on itself, and got a "THIS AGAIN!?" from Radcliffe.

Anyway, he got the impression that they hadn't fallen out, just probably got sick of working with each other.
As someone who worked alongside an old friend for a while, I can certainly sympathise.

DrGreggles

DrGreggles

Gutted I've missed out on the Zoom tickets.
If anyone has a spare that they can't use, please DM me.

Captain Z

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 18, 2024, 02:43:05 PMGutted I've missed out on the Zoom tickets.
If anyone has a spare that they can't use, please DM me.

Presumably zoom gave you the option to ask a question, but you can still get tickets to watch via a private YouTube link.

iamcoop

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 18, 2024, 02:34:46 PMA mate of mine's story (so probably not true, or certainly exaggerated):

He was in a pub near Man City's ground before a game and saw Lard in there, so asked him "Is it true that you and Radcliffe fell out and don't talk anymore?"
Lard: "You can ask him yourself - he'll be here in a minute."
Sure enough, Radcliffe rocks up and Lard asks him the same question, by which point my mate wants the place to fall in on itself, and got a "THIS AGAIN!?" from Radcliffe.

Anyway, he got the impression that they hadn't fallen out, just probably got sick of working with each other.
As someone who worked alongside an old friend for a while, I can certainly sympathise.

Riley discussed it when he was on the Adam Buxton podcast a couple of years ago. Just burn out from working so closely together for so long, coupled with the stress of the breakfast show failure (that he says neither of them wanted to do in the first place). It culminated in Radcliffe having a meltdown and calling a prize they were giving away on air 'a load of old fucking rubbish' or something, which was the moment they both knew they should probably give it a rest and do something else.

Captain Z

Also interesting to read that Radio1 going off-air for 10 minutes at the end of their final show was a genuine technical hitch and not a deliberate final act of larking about.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Captain Z on March 18, 2024, 03:02:25 PMPresumably zoom gave you the option to ask a question, but you can still get tickets to watch via a private YouTube link.

Yep, got the YT ticket

Alberon

Quote from: Captain Z on March 18, 2024, 03:17:11 PMAlso interesting to read that Radio1 going off-air for 10 minutes at the end of their final show was a genuine technical hitch and not a deliberate final act of larking about.

Yeah, I remember that. Someone forgot to throw a switch or something. I knew it wasn't deliberate at the time, but very apt.

I used to email bollocks into the afternoon show all the time when I should have been working and always enjoyed having it read out. I wish there was some way to hear more of the old shows again. I've got the last four weeks (from when they announced they were finishing) on video tapes somewhere. I've been meaning to find some way to rip that to MP3s for twenty years.

Beagle 2

Quote from: Deskbound Cunt on March 18, 2024, 03:00:02 PMStill one of the funniest things ever.

I remember exactly where I was when I heard that go out. I mean, I was in my bedroom listening to the radio obviously,  but it's such a clear memory, to be laughing that hard at something on your own in the dark.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Deskbound Cunt on March 18, 2024, 03:00:02 PMStill one of the funniest things ever.

This was mentioned last night.
Didn't realise Lard was playing drums along with a CD live in the studio. Always assumed it was pre-recorded and played in.
For some reason this makes it funnier.

ajsmith2

Let's face it though, joking aside we'd all rather have McCarroll's drumming CV than Radcliffes.

Captain Z

Good show, great to see/hear them together again. I'd heard Mark on Vernon Kay's show in the week, his voice sounded a bit croaky and I was worried the reunion would highlight the passage of time, but on the night they sounded no different to 20 years ago.

I was a bit confused by the Kylie Minogue anecdote, felt like I missed a detail somewhere. Not sure whether to elaborate to avoid spoilers for people who might attend future events.

Sounds like last night's show was recorded. Not sure if it will be made available to everyone, but those who bought tickets should be getting a link in the coming days.

DrGreggles

Quote from: ajsmith2 on March 25, 2024, 10:24:01 AMLet's face it though, joking aside we'd all rather have McCarroll's drumming CV royalties than Radcliffes.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Captain Z on March 25, 2024, 11:05:29 AMI was a bit confused by the Kylie Minogue anecdote, felt like I missed a detail somewhere. Not sure whether to elaborate to avoid spoilers for people who might attend future events.

The 'Audience With' story?

Pretty sure it was a case of
Spoiler alert
The production team were meant to give them a question to ask her, but didn't (for some reason). When it came to their turn they genuinely didn't have one, but Kylie had obviously been prepped for one, so she and everyone else presumed M&L were doing 'a bit'. So she got upset when it didn't go as rehearsed, as she thought it was their fault.
Lard's panicked question was very funny though.
[close]

Captain Z

Yeah that's about what I thought.

Spoiler alert
Just seemed a bit of an overreaction on Kylie's part considering how well she got on with them and knew what they were like. And if there was any fault, it was with the production staff for not giving M&L the question to ask - I didn't understand why they needed to apologise so profusely. I guess it was the stress of the long rehearsals that had got to her on the night.
[close]

madhair60

this is fucking brilliant

"a bit on the tentative side?? not anymore!!"

Enjoyed most of the show last night.

Spoiler alert
The first part was great. Loads of anecdotes etc. The second half not as good as they mostly played old sketches which made sense at 11pm 30 years ago when listening to them live having a laugh, maybe not so much now*.

Still, a fine way to spend a Sunday evening.

*The Tony McCarroll sketch being the obvious exception
[close]

SteveDave

The best thing about that is during "Gymnopedie" you can hear that nights guest Sean Lock laughing inbetween drum hits.