Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:10:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mary Poppins Offically SICK FILTH!!

Started by Blumf, February 26, 2024, 03:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Rating has been bumped up from a U to PG

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68402362
QuoteMary Poppins, the classic film starring Julie Andrews, has had its age rating raised by British film censors because it features "discriminatory language".

The 1964 film has been reclassified from a U, which stands for universal, to a PG, for parental guidance.

In it, a derogatory term originally used by white Europeans about nomadic peoples in southern Africa is used to refer to soot-faced chimney-sweeps.

That now "exceeds our guidelines" for U films, the BBFC said.

I wonder how the Daily Mail crowd are taking the news...

(several articles already, but I think this is the main one)
cunts://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-13124527/Mary-Poppins-age-rating-lifted-U-PG-discriminatory-language-BBFC.html
Quote"When you know better you do better. Why on earth should I have to explain to my children what a Hottentot is."

"I must make an effort to use the word Hottentot more in conversation."

"And yet the filth they pass as acceptable is just accepted ?"

"I didn't even know what Hottentot means, but I do now, and will start using it! Thanks woke NPCs!"

"Exactly! Drag hour for kids is OK but Mary Poppins is damaging?"

"It's not so much the reclassification of one film, which few will notice, as the thought of all these government busybodies employed to interfere with every detail of our lives, right down to one word in a children's play."

"It's not the government, it's one of the left wing quangos now running the country, maybe Stonewall"

Terrible film! You get to see IT (the brush) GOING IN (the chimney)!!

madhair60

who cares about any of this outrage bait shit. look, some stupid people are angry about nothing again. i don't get the appeal

BlodwynPig

Fambo Number Mive

Daily Mail reading cunt commented:

QuoteWhen you know better you do better. Why on earth should I have to explain to my children what a Hottentot is

No-one is asking parents to do this, and what's wrong with children learning more about history? Isn't it the Daily Mail crowd who complain parents aren't taking enough responsibility.

You've got to be a special kind of cunt to post "I didn't know this word was offensive, I will make sure to use it more" on the Daily Mail comments section. I suspect the same people throw a shit fit if someone uses the term gammon.

Norton Canes

Shit. Does this mean Shakespears Sister's performance of I Don't Care on the 14th May 1992 edition of Top of the Pops puts future repeats in jeopardy?

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Love the idea of one of the decrepit technophobic pensioners who reads the daily mail pretending they know what an NPC is

BlodwynPig

Jools Holland looks nervously to the future of his big new years bonanza (filmed in August)

Quote from: madhair60 on February 26, 2024, 03:24:54 PMwho cares about any of this outrage bait shit. look, some stupid people are angry about nothing again. i don't get the appeal

Same thing with 'blackboard / chalkboard' 'litter boxes in schools' whatever shit it will be tomorrow etc, like not only is the original concept ridiculous, but the very idea that anyone is offended by this is also ridiculous, but these perpetual moaners never get past the first step, their ego just cannot fucking resist having a go at someone that only exists in their head, becoming the most gullible fuckers on Earth in the process. Any time you try to reason with them, try and say 'look, the whole thing's nonsense, it's all made up' they'll immediately say something like 'aye, it's like they go around looking for stuff to get offended by!' without a single hint of irony or self-awareness whatsoever. It's like Who's on First if it was a Black Mirror episode instead.

kalowski

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 26, 2024, 03:51:11 PMShit. Does this mean Shakespears Sister's performance of I Don't Care on the 14th May 1992 edition of Top of the Pops puts future repeats in jeopardy?

I hope not! Sigh, how I loved Siobhan.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 26, 2024, 03:51:11 PMShit. Does this mean Shakespears Sister's performance of I Don't Care on the 14th May 1992 edition of Top of the Pops puts future repeats in jeopardy?

I'm sure as soon as anyone can figure out what the hell she's going on about, the BBC will take the strongest action. I just found out the offending lyrics are actually quoted from Hornpipe, a 1922 piece of experimental writing by legendary Englishwoman Dame Edith Sitwell, which was intended to resemble the sound and mood of a hornpipe, so maybe they could move it to Last Night of the Proms? William Walton also set it to music, less successfully (at least in chart terms).

phantom_power

Quote from: Buttered Ghost on February 26, 2024, 07:46:48 PMSame thing with 'blackboard / chalkboard' 'litter boxes in schools' whatever shit it will be tomorrow etc, like not only is the original concept ridiculous, but the very idea that anyone is offended by this is also ridiculous, but these perpetual moaners never get past the first step, their ego just cannot fucking resist having a go at someone that only exists in their head, becoming the most gullible fuckers on Earth in the process. Any time you try to reason with them, try and say 'look, the whole thing's nonsense, it's all made up' they'll immediately say something like 'aye, it's like they go around looking for stuff to get offended by!' without a single hint of irony or self-awareness whatsoever. It's like Who's on First if it was a Black Mirror episode instead.

Or they say "that one might not be true but it might as well be with all these PC gone mad woke snowflakes in charge"

popcorn

I've always found it really weird that Space Odyssey is a U. It's quite creepy at the very least isn't it?

Blumf

Quote from: popcorn on March 14, 2024, 11:54:36 PMI've always found it really weird that Space Odyssey is a U. It's quite creepy at the very least isn't it?

HAL murdering the crew should surely bump it to PG.

dissolute ocelot

There's a tradition of arty movies getting lower certificates than normal films with equivalent sex and/or violence, because they don't appeal to kids. Although I'd imagine small children would enjoy the monkey scene at the start of 2001, and start throwing things at each other in imitation.

Wet Blanket

At the other end of the spectrum I've just learnt that Fight Club has been re-rated 15. Fight Club! I remember that being censored by the BBFC when it first came out.

BJBMK2

Quote from: Wet Blanket on March 15, 2024, 05:55:21 PMAt the other end of the spectrum I've just learnt that Fight Club has been re-rated 15. Fight Club! I remember that being censored by the BBFC when it first came out.

Wasen't it the bit where Jared Leto gets his face battered in, that had a couple of seconds of closeup trimmed off it?

I'm off to see Fight Club tonight, incidentally. Will keep an eye out during that bit (they might add more shots to it, for the Morbius fans, like).

Wet Blanket

Quote from: BJBMK2 on March 15, 2024, 06:12:28 PMWasen't it the bit where Jared Leto gets his face battered in, that had a couple of seconds of closeup trimmed off it?

I'm off to see Fight Club tonight, incidentally. Will keep an eye out during that bit (they might add more shots to it, for the Morbius fans, like).

Yeah that's right. I'm pretty sure the scene was passed uncut on most subsequent releases though. Fight Club came out right at the arse end of the notorious James Ferman era, who had always been pretty handy with the scissors.

Would never have expected a film that strong to ever drop from 18 though. Then again I suppose it's not considered strong medicine anymore, in the way that most X rated films from the 50s and 60s are all rated PG and 12 these days

BJBMK2

Quote from: Wet Blanket on March 15, 2024, 06:24:14 PMYeah that's right. I'm pretty sure the scene was passed uncut on most subsequent releases though. Fight Club came out right at the arse end of the notorious James Ferman era, who had always been pretty handy with the scissors.

Would never have expected a film that strong to ever drop from 18 though. Then again I suppose it's not considered strong medicine anymore, in the way that most X rated films from the 50s and 60s are all rated PG and 12 these days

Aye, it's been uncut on every release since the first DVD. I saw a screening of it once which used a old, manky print from 1999, and I remember feeling like there was something JUST a bit off about that bit, before remembering it had been cut.