Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:37:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jurassic World: Dominion

Started by Thomas, February 26, 2020, 11:26:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on May 25, 2022, 01:06:29 PMYou would have to be a complete idiot to go and see this.

I was ready to be one of those complete idiots before I saw all this promotional footage.

While we're at it, please enjoy the clunky editing in this uncannily stilted sequence:

Bad Ambassador

Jurassic Park is possibly the longest-running film series in which only the first film isn't shit.

Replies From View

I sincerely hope that Sam Neill narrates Stoppit and Tidyup one day.

Poobum

Knowing nothing about the filming process, how is it that these modern films make it so obvious that your watching actors on a set? Everything is so lifeless, with the acting so "punctuated" for lack of a better word.

Also, the Giganotosaurus design is offensively appalling. This was a beautiful and sleek, for an 8 tonne 14 meter animal, blade mouthed super-predator, and they've turned it into an 80s monster dinotoy.

Kelvin

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on May 25, 2022, 04:28:44 PMJurassic Park is possibly the longest-running film series in which only the first film isn't shit.

Star Wars has arguably built a far bigger legacy off the back of one genuinely great film (maybe one and half), with an enormous chunk of what followed being absolute garbage.

Mister Six

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 24, 2021, 09:43:31 PMThe Tyrannosaur at the drive-in was like a ninja. Fifty tons of monster and it appears and slips away like a sigh on the wind.

That's been the case ever since the surprise T-rex appearance at the end of JP1, to be fair.

Mister Six

Quote from: Kelvin on May 25, 2022, 04:51:29 PMStar Wars has arguably built a far bigger legacy off the back of one genuinely great film (maybe one and half), with an enormous chunk of what followed being absolute garbage.

I strongly agree with all of that (assuming your one and a half is Empire and those bits of A New Hope that are struggling to get out from Lucas's cack-handed direction). And also JP2 is decent enough, if not in comparison with the original.

Ferris

Quote from: Thomas on May 25, 2022, 12:59:18 PMThey're releasing loads of clips from this ahead of time. Here we see Alan and Ellie reunited for the first time since the first film! oh yeah she was in Jurassic Park 3 for a couple of minutes wasn't she

Feels off somehow. Lighting and framing is weird, Sam Neill doing a Terry Wogan at points.

Fair play, he does do a properly good Wogan there. Shame the rest of the film looks like a complete dog egg.

Replies From View

Quote from: Kelvin on May 25, 2022, 04:51:29 PMStar Wars has arguably built a far bigger legacy off the back of one genuinely great film (maybe one and half), with an enormous chunk of what followed being absolute garbage.

This being true, Star Wars nevertheless evokes quite an expansive world that could potentially spawn some quite decent films if some good enough film makers could step up to the plate.

It's astounding to me that Jurassic Park, Terminator and Home Alone have six films apiece.  Just the idea that there's so much to be mined if only they could dig in the right place.

Kelvin

Quote from: Mister Six on May 25, 2022, 04:59:21 PMI strongly agree with all of that (assuming your one and a half is Empire and those bits of A New Hope that are struggling to get out from Lucas's cack-handed direction). And also JP2 is decent enough, if not in comparison with the original.

Empire is the one. My half would be the Death Star Scenes from New Hope and the Throne Room Scenes from Jedi :)

idunnosomename

Quote from: Poobum on May 25, 2022, 04:44:20 PMKnowing nothing about the filming process, how is it that these modern films make it so obvious that your watching actors on a set? Everything is so lifeless, with the acting so "punctuated" for lack of a better word.
lack of active camera direction i guess? also cameras are either locked off or moved on a tracking rig rather than freely moved, because of all the CGI work in post. this includes mundane effects like if one of the actors gets cancelled for being a sex pest or something they can edit them out and replace them with James Corden.

Mister Six

Quote from: Kelvin on May 25, 2022, 05:01:33 PMEmpire is the one. My half would be the Death Star Scenes from New Hope and the Throne Room Scenes from Jedi :)

Ha, I think there's still some scattered good stuff in the run-up to the Death Star (the Cantina, "help me, Obi-wan!", "These aren't the droids you're looking for.") but I'll grant you the throne room (although I'd say probably the latter half of it, not the overlong silent alien preamble, and I'd throw in the Sarlaac Pit, too).

Thomas

Quote from: Poobum on May 25, 2022, 04:44:20 PMAlso, the Giganotosaurus design is offensively appalling. This was a beautiful and sleek, for an 8 tonne 14 meter animal, blade mouthed super-predator, and they've turned it into an 80s monster dinotoy.

It is extremely Godzilla-y. Previously they could cover themselves before by saying 'it's a clone, it's part frog!' or whatever, but the flashback to the Cretaceous released a few months ago crystallises these monster designs as true in the JP world.

It always surprises me to read that they have scientific consultants on these films. Despite their presence you've still got pronated monster wrists, big elephant feet on the sauropods, and shrinkwrapped skin over everything - all for no reason. A quick Wikipedia dive would correct some of these errors, and make the films look better.

They should rightly preserve the classic designs for older dinosaurs, like the original rex, but they could use their budget to showcase really cutting edge visions, as they did with their limited knowledge in 1993. The Allosaurus was wasted (it looked far more interesting way back in Walking with Dinosaurs), and they seem nervous to add much colour to the animals. The new documentary series Prehistoric Planet puts the visually conservative Jurassic World to shame with its lovely designs:

Replies From View

"Unknown.  Unexplained??  Unbelievable, until now."

Interesting choice of inflection there Davey boy.

Mister Six

Quote from: Replies From View on May 25, 2022, 05:00:48 PMThis being true, Star Wars nevertheless evokes quite an expansive world that could potentially spawn some quite decent films if some good enough film makers could step up to the plate.

And if the studios can grow some balls and let go of the legacy security blanket that means everything has to be tied in some way to the characters or events of the original trilogy.

Replies From View

Yeah that's the thing.  The Skywalker films should have naturally ended at Episode VI.

Quote from: Poobum on May 25, 2022, 04:44:20 PMKnowing nothing about the filming process, how is it that these modern films make it so obvious that your watching actors on a set? Everything is so lifeless, with the acting so "punctuated" for lack of a better word.

Also, the Giganotosaurus design is offensively appalling. This was a beautiful and sleek, for an 8 tonne 14 meter animal, blade mouthed super-predator, and they've turned it into an 80s monster dinotoy.

Always fascinated by dinosaurs.

Anyway, how much do the big predatory dinosaurs differ in body shape etc?

Poobum

T-Rex type tyrannosaurs would have massive neck muscles. They had the most powerful bite of any known animal ever, one well delivered bite would break a Triceratops hip with such force that snapped teeth are found embedded in bone. T-Rex teeth are not sharp, but are strong and pointy, they're made to puncture, requiring that massive force. They also had specialized toe bones that would have supported them being very efficient long distance joggers. So overall they would be bulkier to get in personal and hold on if necessary, with strong legs that plodded it along at Usain Bolt speed at most.

The Giganotosaurus is part of the Allosaurs, specifically the Carcharodontosaurs. These had thin and sharp shark like teeth that could in no way handle the same bight force, hence longer more delicate skulls (this is very relative), less muscle and less bulk. They would have a slashing bite and would unlikely be holding on to anything as their prey wouldn't be disabled like a T-Rex's. I think the general consensus now is that a Giganotosaurus of a similar size of a T-Rex would have 1-2 tonnes less mass. There is dino called Acrocanthosaurus that is distant relative of Giganotosaurus that as the back spines, but there is no evidence Giganotosaurus supported anything like that, and for me ruins the entire shape of the animal. Though, personal opinion innit.

The Prehistoric Planet show looks brilliant, willing to subscribe to Apple TV just for that.

Poobum

Gonna take the excuse to share one of my favourite artists where it's kinda relevent.

Acrocanthosaurus

Giganotosaurus

T-Rex

Replies From View

That T-Rex sure is puffy around the cheek bones

willbo

Quote from: Mister Six on May 25, 2022, 05:17:01 PMHa, I think there's still some scattered good stuff in the run-up to the Death Star (the Cantina, "help me, Obi-wan!", "These aren't the droids you're looking for.") but I'll grant you the throne room (although I'd say probably the latter half of it, not the overlong silent alien preamble, and I'd throw in the Sarlaac Pit, too).

you both talking about Jabba's throne room or the Emperor's?

Mister Six

Oh, Jabba's. I should have said Palace. Did he even have a throne?

willbo

yes, its the canon name for the slab he sits on

Ferris

Christ you wouldn't want to use the throne after Jabba. I'd leave that 10 minutes years if I was you mate.

Bad Ambassador

When he takes a dump, does it come out person-shaped?

idunnosomename

I always called it Jabba's dais.

Rock me Jabba's dais

Replies From View

For the 1997 and 2004 versions of A New Hope, why did Jabba look so completely different to his Return of the Jedi appearance?  They can't have been modelling him from memory, surely?

willbo

I guess they had to make him small enough to fit into the scene as it existed

Kelvin

Quote from: Mister Six on May 27, 2022, 01:36:49 PMOh, Jabba's. I should have said Palace. Did he even have a throne?

Ha, i meant the Emperor's throne room. The Jabba stuff is good, but its so detached from the main plot, and lost to time now, with the countless edits Lucas did. But the scenes with Palpatine, Vader and Luke are arguably the best in the entire series. That tracking shot of Luke beating back Vader still gives me chills to this day.

Replies From View

Quote from: willbo on May 27, 2022, 11:07:36 PMI guess they had to make him small enough to fit into the scene as it existed

Of all the choices made for the special editions, it's the inclusion of that Jabba scene that perplexes me the most.  The fact Jabba needed to be tiny so he'd meet Ford's eyeline, the fact he needed to have his tail stomped on when Han walked behind him, everything before you even get to how the CGI model looks nothing like Jabba in ROTJ anyway.

I reckon I'm hot on the button with these views, and I'm sure you agree.