Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:50:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Raiders of the Lost Ark on IMAX

Started by spock rogers, August 23, 2012, 08:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spock rogers

This has been confirmed for UK showings starting 21st September. Can't wait for this :-O
List of venues below:
http://www.seenit.co.uk/raiders-of-the-lost-ark-uk-imax-screening-dates/0822150/

BFI Waterloo                                                     
Odeon Braehead
Odeon Cardiff                                                     
Odeon Gateshead Metro Centre
Odeon Greenwich                                             
Odeon Kingston
Odeon Liverpool One                                       
Odeon Norwich
Odeon Southampton                                         
Odeon Swiss Cottage
Odeon Uxbridge                                                 
Odeon Wimbledon
Cineworld Crawley                                             
Cineworld Edinburgh
Cineworld Sheffield

Spielberg interview about the IMAX release:
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/14/raiders-of-the-lost-ark-to-receive-imax-re-release/

Dead kate moss

I've decided it's overrated and boring.

Ginyard

spock rogers

That looks like Fred Flintstone's local multiplex.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The biggest compliment that you can make, cinematography-wise, is that it looks real. Sandy, dirty, sweaty and real. Rather than a storyboard computered up with a camera that never ever stays still. The quality of the film they use is very similar to the Star Wars trilogy. I only wish more films looked like this.

On almost every aspect this film is a masterpiece that's bursting with creativity and attention to detail.

However- I've never worked out why if they can slide a brick out to escape the well of souls, why did they need to dig all night to get in from the top? ERE MATE - BRICK. THIS WAY IN MATE. YEAH. SEE YER.

Dead kate moss

That statue in the Well Of Souls is a bit too easy to topple over too. It'd be all stuck.

Also whips don't wrap around stuff so you can swing on them. Nope, not even bullwhips.

Does he ever use his bullwhip for anything apart from swinging that wouldn't work?

And as we all know, if he'd have just stayed in bed and left everything alone, the end with all God melting everyone's faces off would have happened just the same - or maybe in front of Hitler.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Dead kate moss on August 24, 2012, 12:23:24 AM
That statue in the Well Of Souls is a bit too easy to topple over too. It'd be all stuck.

Also whips don't wrap around stuff so you can swing on them. Nope, not even bullwhips.

That's just not true

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I_ESNuLwGA

phantom_power

Quote from: Dead kate moss on August 24, 2012, 12:23:24 AM

And as we all know, if he'd have just stayed in bed and left everything alone, the end with all God melting everyone's faces off would have happened just the same - or maybe in front of Hitler.

That's a good subject for a thread; films that would have ended the same way had the hero/protagonist not gotten involved

CaledonianGonzo

If Indie hadn't got involved then the Gestapo wouldn't have followed him to Marion Ravenwood's bar in Nepal and so they wouldn't have found the Headpiece of the staff of Ra.

Or, indeed, the Ark, as it was Indie that found that as well.

So, er, no.

Dead kate moss

Not sure about that bullwhip clip. Like to say it's fake, but ok it can be done.

If Indie hadn't found the Ark, brilliant. The Nazis/that French guy might have found it on their own, in which case dead Nazis/that French guy. If he'd got away with taking it and bringing it home, would it have melted the face of whoever opened it in Britain? Or would God have realised they were the good guys? The Bible apparently says who touches it dies, so probably the US/UK military would have opened it and kablooey. And is that huge room of boxes really the best place for it?

madhair60

In episode 2F09, when Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes the same rib twice in succession, yet he produces two clearly different tones.

Dead kate moss

Shoulders?-Stomach!

He was trying to recover the ark for the British museum and as an archaeological pursuit, not trying to stop the Nazis from getting it- it just so happened they were looking for it as well.

Why is this conversation even being had? The film is about an adventure, which can include, if I'm not mistaken, the central character doing things wrong.

madhair60

I loaned my copy of this to an actual archaeologist.  She didn't give it back, so I had a fight with her on a big rotating plane and she got eviscerated by the propellor.  It was pretty ironic!  Also, at the funeral, I got bit off a snake.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: madhair60 on August 24, 2012, 09:41:46 AM
In episode 2F09, when Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes the same rib twice in succession, yet he produces two clearly different tones.

Are you wearing a t-shirt that says 'Genius at work'?

madhair60

Kane Jones

My favourite film of all time.  I've not seen it in a cinema since I was 6 years old, so... IMAX?  I'm fucking there. 

phantom_power

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 24, 2012, 09:53:53 AM
He was trying to recover the ark for the British museum and as an archaeological pursuit, not trying to stop the Nazis from getting it- it just so happened they were looking for it as well.

Why is this conversation even being had? The film is about an adventure, which can include, if I'm not mistaken, the central character doing things wrong.

This discussion is being had because it is amusing to discuss the minutae of films as if they were important.

alcoholic messiah

I really hope that George Lucas grasps this opportunity to create a Special Edition of the film, and finally gets to present the audience with his original vision of the Indiana Jones character[nb]Film-noncing technology just wasn't sufficiently advanced back then to fully do it justice.[/nb]:

Quote from: RotLA story conference transcript
George Lucas: I was thinking that this old guy could have been his mentor. He could have known this little girl when she was just a kid. Had an affair with her when she was eleven.

Lawrence Kasdan: And he was forty-two.

George Lucas: He hasn't seen her in twelve years. Now she's twenty-two. It's a real strange relationship.

Steven Spielberg: She had better be older than twenty-two.

George Lucas: He's thirty-five, and he knew her ten years ago when he was twenty-five and she was only twelve. It would be amusing to make her slightly young at the time.

Steven Spielberg: And promiscuous. She came onto him.

George Lucas: Fifteen is right on the edge. I know it's an outrageous idea, but it is interesting. Once she's sixteen or seventeen it's not interesting anymore. But if she was fifteen and he was twenty-five and they actually had an affair the last time they met. And she was madly in love with him and he...

biggytitbo

Raiders is one of the greatest film ever made. It galls me that I've seen it so many times.

One particularly great thing about it is its almost entirely free of the (un) special effects that plague the sequels,  especially the fourth one.

One bad thing about Indiana Jones is, and I know this is heresy, but its reliance on Harrison Ford. He's the greatest Indy obviously, but that's because he's the only Indy.

To me, the entire Indy universe is as rich and expansive as the James Bond universe, and James Bond had absolutely no trouble in recasting the lead actor[nb]Perhaps because he is a timelord[/nb] to expand the longevity.

Why exactly can't they recast Indy? The character is just too good, the concept too great, that it should really be able to transcend Harrison Ford in the same way the Bond character was able to transcend Sean Connery.

Its a failure of the imagination, or selfishness that stops them doing exactly that and launching a franchise.

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 24, 2012, 09:07:06 PM
Raiders is one of the greatest film ever made. It galls me that I've seen it so many times.

One particularly great thing about it is its almost entirely free of the (un) special effects that plague the sequels,  especially the fourth one.

One bad thing about Indiana Jones is, and I know this is heresy, but its reliance on Harrison Ford. He's the greatest Indy obviously, but that's because he's the only Indy.

To me, the entire Indy universe is as rich and expansive as the James Bond universe, and James Bond had absolutely no trouble in recasting the lead actor[nb]Perhaps because he is a timelord[/nb] to expand the longevity.

Why exactly can't they recast Indy? The character is just too good, the concept too great, that it should really be able to transcend Harrison Ford in the same way the Bond character was able to transcend Sean Connery.

Its a failure of the imagination, or selfishness that stops them doing exactly that and launching a franchise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Young_Indiana_Jones_Chronicles

thenoise

QuoteGeorge Lucas: Once she's sixteen or seventeen it's not interesting anymore.

blimey!

biggytitbo

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on August 24, 2012, 09:12:58 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Young_Indiana_Jones_Chronicles
What?

That's not recasting the part in a new film. I'm talking about replacing Harrison Ford and making new Indy films, like they did when the replaced Sean Connery as James Bond. For me, the character is way better than any actor, however great Ford is.

El Unicornio, mang

Well, Tom Selleck was supposed to play the part. I think he would have been shite though.

biggytitbo

All men with moustaches are shite.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The shiteness of Crystal Skull suggests it would be better laid to rest.

Harrison Ford really was a great actor. There's an effortlessness about his performance- all his dialogue comes off entirely like something his character would say, he's fairly selfless in much of his works and is an observer and empathizer rather than a screen-hogger. He had such a great range of comic expressions as well as oodles of charisma. He also looks and sounds like a regular guy rather than a gym-freak, or a jock, or a geek. His main strength was how ordinary he was.

I am writing this in the past tense as he is pretty much dead to me as an actor these days. Since his face has cragged up he's lost the nuances and skill you could actually watch on screen. Some people say actors get better as they age but it does depend how the age.

babyshambler

I think my earliest feelings of sexual excitement were at the scene with Marion trying on the dress and that pervy nazi watching in the mirror. I can't have been older than 8. I also remember lying back and pretending she was tending to my wounds and stuff, like the bit on the boat. No masturbation or anything, just a warm and fuzzy feeling.

spock rogers

Quote from: biggytitbo link=topic=32757.msg1718498#msg1718498

This is what has pissed me off about Lucas recently (amongst other things, obviously), and it was something that was brought up in the Red Letter Media review of Crystal Skull. They were saying that people go to see an Indiana Jones film to see Indiana Jones, they don't go and see it because of Harrison Ford (as good as he is/was)

Recast it Lucas, you spacehopper-necked tinkerer! And while you're at it, let someone with some talent write and direct a spin-off Star Wars movie. What a waste of two great movie universes.

Ginyard

The only other person I've ever been able to imagine playing Indy is Dennis Quaid (think Inner Space). He's too old now as well. There must be someone else.

Dead kate moss