Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:10:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Films that make you bawl like a baby.

Started by tookish, October 13, 2012, 12:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tookish

I cry a lot during films, much more than I do about my own life. Some weepy moments for me:

1. When Bilbo tries to snatch the Ring and then breaks down and starts sobbing. (I'm actually tearing up thinking about it.)

2. When Mr. Banks turns up with the mended kite, ready to be a good father.

3. When Captain Von Trapp is singing Edelweiss and he sees all the Nazis in the front row...and then the Austrian audience join in singing. Agh, fucking kills me every time.

4. 'There's no Hogwarts without you, Hagrid.'

5. The bit in the petrol station from Little Miss Sunshine.

Your turn.

Treguard of Dunshelm

I seldom watch films and even seldomemer cry at them but I did watch Monsters Inc for the first time a few weeks ago and got a bit moist-eyed at the end like a big fuckin puss.

Thomas

United 93. Yes, yes, I know it's only mums who are supposed to cry at 9/11 things, but I only did it once.

Also, as a child, Godzilla. That poor bloody reptile. And E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, of course. Emotion was stirred by the most recent outing of The Muppets, too.[nb]Not sure what this says about me, most of my sympathy-receivers belonging to fictional species.[/nb]

Treguard of Dunshelm

And although I like the LoTR films they never made me feel sad. But Frodo and Gandalf leaving for the West at the end of the novel gets me, as does Sam's "Well, I'm back" right at the ends.[nb]Yes, the ends. The endses, precious.[/nb]

tookish

Muppet Christmas Carol always makes me whimper, even though I've seen it heaps of times, since I watch it every year with my family[nb] My father, who's built like a brick shithouse and tough as old leather sobs his heart out too. [/nb].

This bit in particular kills me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tfI_N0vyxaI#t=244s

fucking Michael Caine fucking crying. weep.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The Iron Giant, when he
Spoiler alert
actually you should just watch the film
[close]

Mini

Quote from: Treguard of Dunshelm on October 13, 2012, 12:52:36 AM
I seldom watch films and even seldomemer cry at them but I did watch Monsters Inc for the first time a few weeks ago and got a bit moist-eyed at the end like a big fuckin puss.

That reminds me, I almost cried at the end of Monsters. I know that doesn't count as bawling like a baby but it's the closest I can think of.

small_world

The start of Up.

That is all.

Actually, that's not at all, all.
I don't cry, but I get 'that feeling' and hold it in during loads of films.
Mainly. Watership down. Homeward bound. Short circuit. Hook. The Goonies. E.T. (loads).
The latest one was Ted. 

There are some weird ones that get me. But I can't really think of any right now.

None film ones. When brothers in arms starts playing on the episode Two Cathedrals. From the West Wing.
(Actually I balled like a baby when Josh got shot)

And the theme tune to black beauty.

The pre-credits of the 2009 Star Trek reboot. It's the music that does it, fucking Michael Giacchino.

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, mostly at the end when
Spoiler alert
they decide that it's OK if they break up because the good stuff was worth being in the relationship for despite the pain of the end.
[close]
That's my interpretation of it anyway, and it's stuck with me as a life lesson ever since.

All I can think of right now...

Hangthebuggers

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: tookish on October 13, 2012, 01:01:49 AM
This bit in particular kills me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tfI_N0vyxaI#t=244s

fucking Michael Caine fucking crying. weep.

I know a few people who hate this song, but I always liked it. It was actually cut from the original theatrical release, but then included on the VHS (which is where I know it from). Unfortunately it doesn't appear on the DVD version I have though.

Now bawling, but definitely a "lumpinthethroatandsomethinginmyeye" moment for me is the last 5 minutes of of Planes, Trains & Automobiles

John Candy all alone in the train station.

Every.  Single.  Time.

tookish

The end of Toy Story III wrecked me. I was an absolute state, choking and whining with distress, and surrounded by the stony-faced, emotionless little bastards that we call children.

When Shaun
Spoiler alert
has to kill his mum
[close]
in Shaun of the Dead...I think that got me the first time.

Cried all the way through The Artist too.

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on October 13, 2012, 11:00:08 AM
I know a few people who hate this song, but I always liked it. It was actually cut from the original theatrical release, but then included on the VHS (which is where I know it from). Unfortunately it doesn't appear on the DVD version I have though.

Yeah, I was very angry that it was cut from the DVD release, because I think it's how you start to understand how Scrooge became a lonely old miser. Plus it's a pretty song, if utterly heartbreaking.

Santa's Boyfriend

The ending of Tell No-One, along with the final third of Everything Is Illuminated, are two examples that never fail to make me cry.  Utterly brilliant films, both really masterful at working your emotions.

Actually I watched the "PS" Doctor Who video this morning, and that got me too.

tookish

Quote from: Santa's Boyfriend on October 13, 2012, 12:22:54 PM
Everything Is Illuminated

Yes, yes, yes, a million times yes. Fantastic film. The book made me cry too. And when I lent it to my friend, she read it on the tube and ended up sobbing all the way to Victoria.

Dirty Boy

Quote from: Hangthebuggers on October 13, 2012, 10:47:49 AM
The elephant man.

There's so many upsetting scenes in that it's hard to know where to start. I went through a stage of watching it every day during a particular time of emotional turbluence  and it never failed to leave me a gibbering wreck[nb]I also kinda relate to him[/nb]. The two scenes that immediately spring to mind are when he reads Romeo and Juliet with the theater woman and the bit with Hopkins and his wife where he starts crying because no woman has ever treated him so nicely...*wah*

Other bits
-The ending of Where the wind blows.

-The subway scene from Irreversible.

-Dear Zachary (watched that recently after the praise it got on here. Fucking hell eh?)

-The winter season bits with Lesley Manville's character in Mike Leigh's Another Year. Her character is a bit of an annoying trainwreck initially, but i found her obvious loneliness and unhappiness in the later scenes really affecting.

Theremin

For some reason, the birthday presents scene at the beginning of The Jerk always gets me. I find it genuinely heartwarming.

neveragain

It gets a lot of criticism for being too money-oriented but... urgh, I've just forgotten the name, Will Smith film where he- ah, The Pursuit of Happyness, is that what it's called? Anyway. Trying to get a job so he can take care of his kid, sleeping in the toilet, running to the soup kitchen, all that, and then the bit where he's finally given the good news. Will Smith is just a fantastic actor, undeniably, it gets me every time. I've only watched it thrice but still... I'd also like to add I love crying at films. I'm depressive and it's nice to have a release.

In America - now there's a great drama, again some may disagree as it's slightly twee, but it got to me quite viciously when Paddy Considine
Spoiler alert
finally accepted that his son was dead
[close]

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: tookish on October 13, 2012, 11:14:30 AM
The end of Toy Story III wrecked me. I was an absolute state, choking and whining with distress, and surrounded by the stony-faced, emotionless little bastards that we call children.

I've yet to watch Toy Story 3 without crumpling into a shameful sobbing wreck at the end. Even when I watched the bloody commentary, because I still knew what was happening.

The bit in It's A Wonderful Life when everyone wants to draw their money out of the savings and loan and George manages to talk people round into just taking out what they need to get by. One of the ladies tentatively asks for a tiny amount of money and it always tears me up.

Loads of films actually. I'm a fucking shambles.

madhair60

The end of Dead Man's Shoes.  GLAD I SAW THAT IN SIXTH FORM IN FRONT OF A BUNCH OF PEOPLE.

Hank Venture

Sling Blade, when you get to see how horrible Carls mother and father was. Quality film. Couldn't find the scene I'm talking about on YouTube, but here are two others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCJZij74-J0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAgSUFT4cVk

JT Walsh is extremely convincing in his despicable sleaziness. Best movie opening I think I've ever seen.

Cerys

You think you're all soft?  You think you're all softies?  Yeah?  I'll tell you what's made me choke up most recently.  THIS THREAD.  Remembering emotional scenes.  Just imagining emotional scenes from films I haven't even bloody seen.

This is what being forty does.  It turns you into a great big girl's blouse.

Artemis

The lingering shot of what becomes of Crispina in The Magdalene Sisters made me have to bite my lower lip and wait until I had left the cinema and walked down the street a bit until there were fewer people. I then cried for a good couple of minutes. Just devastating.

Glebe

I've said it before, but the end of Ghibli's Grave of the Fireflies had me welling up...

Big Jack McBastard

The Elephant Man was the only one I've seen in the last few years that got me, visiting the theater scene snapped my duck, though the culmination of all the 'hrnnnngg' moments before that mounted up to that point as well.

How about ones that make you cry with joy?

I've only encountered that in anime over the last few years, the temperature in my chest rises and my eyes start streaming while I'm bouncing along, loving every minute of it, it's equal parts glorious and confusing as it's nigh on impossible for me to articulate the sensation properly as I couldn't remember the last time I'd felt it. The closest analogy I can think of is when a band you love plays a song you love and it's better than it is in your head.

Marty McFly

The end of The Green Mile
Spoiler alert
with the elderly mouse
[close]
. Every fucking time.

Nik Drou

The
Spoiler alert
kissing montage
[close]
at the end of Cinema Paradiso is devastating. Unless you watch the director's cut, which kind of sours the whole thing.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on October 13, 2012, 11:00:08 AM

Any word as to whether it's going to be on the forthcoming Blu Ray edition?

Edit: Erm, and The Lives Of Others..,,,even if US conservatives seem now to be championing it a little over-enthusiastically.

tookish

Edward Scissorhands kills me every single time, and Brooks from The Shawshank Redemption fucking breaks my heart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kotNxb2YApk

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on October 14, 2012, 10:32:26 AM
The Lives Of Others.

Yes! The saddest bit for me is when you see him at his dingy little flat, and realise just how empty his life is.
Notes on a Scandal made me really sad too.

madhair60

Oh yeah, K-On movie.  How could I forget.