Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:59:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

James Bond films are the most overrated of all time

Started by graffic, November 26, 2012, 06:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

Quote from: graffic on November 26, 2012, 11:14:03 PM
Why would he volunteer he's a spy.

I'll have you know there's been many a decent spy in that frothing den of mirth we like to call 'history'. A few cheeky scamps, too.[nb]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Chapman[/nb] 

QDRPHNC

Quote from: RickyHamster on November 26, 2012, 11:01:39 PM
Does James Bond volunteer at a soup kitchen? Does he know any of the working class? Is he over 18?

We just don't know.

What else are they hiding from us?

You laugh, but graffic was assistant director on The Living Daylights.

RickyHamster

Why would he volunteer he's a spy. Bond is middle class. He's a character inspired by the lifestyle that Fleming was used to. I don't actually know how old he is but he's definitely over 18. You need to go and watch a Bond film.

Read question 2 AGAIN!

graffic

Quote from: Buelligan on November 26, 2012, 11:16:13 PM
This, from the person who also gave us this -

Thats me confessing to an urge. Needless to say, there's a great difference between confessing to an urge and propounding a view. And in the case of James Bond, its mass media that indulges sexism.

Dead kate moss

What's Matt Damon's issue with a character drinking a Martini???

He doesn't 'swill' them either, to be pedantic.

You need to go and watch a Bond film.

Quote from: graffic on November 26, 2012, 10:56:01 PM
I think people who go and watch this in a public cinema should show some dignity. If  you're going to laugh at  dull corny, lines  from a bigoted, sexist sociopath, then take it home and watch it on DVD.

Make your mind up, should people go and watch a Bond film or not?

RickyHamster

Quote from: graffic on November 26, 2012, 11:21:42 PM
Thats me confessing to an urge. Needless to say, there's a great difference between confessing to an urge and propounding a view. And in the case of James Bond, its mass media that indulges sexism.

You're a sexist, misogynist dinosaur.

Not my words, the words of Dame. Judi. Dench.

Think on graffic.

Buelligan

Quote from: graffic on November 26, 2012, 11:21:42 PM

I've edited it now, so there are fewer words.  Try it again and see if you can understand now why I see you as a hypocrite, or at the very least, enormously confused.

graffic

Quote from: RickyHamster on November 26, 2012, 11:26:59 PM
You're a sexist, misogynist dinosaur.

Not my words, the words of Dame. Judi. Dench.

Think on graffic.

Can you do me a massive favour and never respond to anything I say ever again? I will do my part by totally ignoring everything you say. (It's just that I feel like I'm lowering myselfl).

checkoutgirl

Quote from: graffic on November 26, 2012, 11:33:18 PM
It's just that I feel like I'm lowering myself

Yeah, into a great big vat of steaming, AIDS ridden, soup kitchen tramp's piss (hopefully).

RickyHamster

Can you do me a massive favour and never respond to anything I say ever again? I will do my part by totally ignoring everything you say. (It's just that I feel like I'm lowering myselfl).

I've got my eye on you.

I'll be watching.

Forever.

graffic

Quote from: RickyHamster on November 26, 2012, 11:36:36 PM
I've got my eye on you.

I'll be watching.

Forever.

The great thing about the internet is that instead of having to politely end a discussion and leave a room, I can just ignore you.

RickyHamster

Quote from: graffic on November 26, 2012, 11:40:05 PM
The great thing about the internet is that instead of having to politely end a discussion and leave a room, I can just ignore you.

Oh but you so obviously can't.

*watching*

graffic

Quote from: checkoutgirl on November 26, 2012, 11:35:38 PM
Yeah, into a great big vat of steaming, AIDS ridden, soup kitchen tramp's piss (hopefully).

Homophobic abuse.

Dead kate moss

Can you do me a massive favour and repeatedly smash your head against a brick wall until you die? (It's just that you're a complete cock and I'd like you to be dead.)

Noodle Lizard

Dead kate moss

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 26, 2012, 11:42:55 PM
Why does anyone ever answer this geezer?

Speaking for myself, suggesting that he violently commits suicide is obviously a long-shot... but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: graffic on November 26, 2012, 11:41:56 PM
Homophobic abuse.

No, the AIDS ridden, soup kitchen tramps I was referring to were actually heterosexual. I never mentioned homosexuals. Are you suggesting AIDS is an exclusively homosexual phenomenon ? Because I think heterosexual HIV sufferers like Magic Johnson would be highly offended by your out of date, ignorant and homophobic viewpoint.

checkoutgirl

A bit of fun. It's nice to have someone that you can legitimately abuse every now and again. graffic knows we don't really want him to be beaten with hammers and dragged into the forest by wolves. Because he's Jewish and Jews are very tolerant (and they hoarde money).

Buelligan

Speaking for myself, because, quite often, I fail to remain as calm and reasonable as I would wish.

RickyHamster

Because I feel a strange physical attraction to him/her/? and I get the vibe that he/she/? feels it too.

HappyTree

Quote from: GirafficI don't actually know how old he is but he's definitely over 18.

:-D Yay, a funny troll. I also enjoyed the lowering into a vat comment. 2 lols in one thread, that's value for money.

Blumf

At least we know Bond isn't a racist, because his best mate is black, except when he isn't.

Nuclear Optimism

Quote from: graffic on November 26, 2012, 06:12:21 PM
It's normally against a political backdrop but that aspect is never explored.

Quote from: graffic on November 26, 2012, 09:20:04 PM
Bond films are some of the most political movies you get to see from Hollywood.

mbedd

I just looked up Bond James Bond on Wikipedia and found out some fascinating facts about the sexist, soup kitchen avoiding bastard.

QuoteFleming also endowed Bond with many of his own traits, including sharing the same golf handicap, the taste for scrambled eggs and using the same brand of toiletries

Cerys

Why would he volunteer he's a spy. Bond is middle class. He's a character inspired by the lifestyle that Fleming was used to. I don't actually know how old he is but he's definitely over 18. You need to go and watch a Bond film.

I protest.  He's a Scottish peasant and has always been a Scottish peasant.

Dead kate moss

James Bond the movie character is not the same character as Fleming's. This is literally needless to say. The different movie incarnations have been notably different from each other too. The truth is James Bond hasn't been an imperialist espionage agent for a long time. He is just some bloke who works for the British government that comes in and stops mental villains from doing bad stuff, and yes, usually he gets some nookie while he's at it. That's all.

Desi Dubs Dallas

yeah he's never accidently locked himself in a suitcase for a start.

graffic

Quote from: Cerys on November 27, 2012, 12:34:39 PM
I protest.  He's a Scottish peasant and has always been a Scottish peasant.

Bonds job is working for and with the secret service of capitalist countries and his job is furthering the interests of these countries and he's a racist imperialist. He's also a wife beater.

The glorification of a character like him normalises aggressive and misogynist behaviour and frankly I think its quite fucked up how many people go and watch it in public.

Thomas

Quote from: graffic on November 28, 2012, 04:47:20 PM
The glorification of a character like him normalises aggressive and misogynist behaviour and frankly I think its quite cuddled up how many people go and watch it in public.

Is it the responsibility of what is essentially a fantasy film series to put out positive depictions of well-behaved characters? The Skyfall script is not a set of ethical guidelines. Literature, art, music, and the like have featured badly behaved, 'morally dubious' characters for centuries. I know it's not exactly Paradise Lost, but why stop at Bond?

Also, I don't think the rebooted Bond has ever hit a woman.

graffic

I don't think the films are made so that the sexism is ironic and anti-sexist. It's not the responsibility of a fantasy film to put out positive material but I think its sad so many people are so willing to be mind fucked. I'm not saying they should be banned, but people should show more dignity going to watch it in a public place.