Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:24:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hard-to-find films and let's find them why don't we?

Started by zomgmouse, January 18, 2018, 05:06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Did anyone manage to get Chameleon Street in the end? I found it on a torrent site but it has been stalled at a paltry 3% for a week.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 20, 2018, 12:23:08 PM
Did anyone manage to get Chameleon Street in the end? I found it on a torrent site but it has been stalled at a paltry 3% for a week.

Yeah I grabbed it off kg and have delivered it to fred. Was anyone else after it?

Sebastian Cobb

I wouldn't mind a shot of it if you've still got a copy of it please.

zomgmouse

Surprisingly difficult to find a decent copy of Mr. Saturday Night, i.e. one in the correct aspect ratio.

mothman

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: zomgmouse on January 21, 2018, 02:46:31 AM
Surprisingly difficult to find a decent copy of Mr. Saturday Night, i.e. one in the correct aspect ratio.

Still got my widescreen VHS of it for that very reason.

...not that I've got a video player to play it on any more...

zomgmouse

Quote from: mothman on January 21, 2018, 09:37:33 AM
High Tide (1987) starring Judy Davis and Claudia Karvan. Love this film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Tide_(1987_film)

They played this at the Melbourne International Film Festival last year! I didn't go see it and instead saw another film in that same stream, also with Claudia Karvan - Broken Highway, which was amazing and is also hard to find (as is that director's other film Dogwatch). Although I may be confusing my times and I may have seen The Big Steal at that session, another good Australian film with Claudia Karvan. But I think it was Broken Highway.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 21, 2018, 10:41:00 PM
Still got my widescreen VHS of it for that very reason.

...not that I've got a video player to play it on any more...

Our university library has this on VHS as well though I'm not sure if it's the widescreen release... I'm not sure if they're loaning them out though. I suppose I could try! If you ever find a way to rip a VHS I would be grateful.

itsfredtitmus

ive wanted to see High Tide for a while but its 20 quid on amazon and i cba with that

mothman

Claudia Karvan should have been a bigger star than she is. All I can think of is The Secret Life Of Us, and a really good guest spot on Farscape.

greenman

I am surprised Mann's The Keep still hasn't gotten a DVD release(at least an official one as far as I'm aware), I mean its far from perfect but it seems perfectly suited to this era of 80's revivialism with plenty of big names in it.

zomgmouse

Quote from: mothman on January 22, 2018, 08:18:52 AM
Claudia Karvan should have been a bigger star than she is. All I can think of is The Secret Life Of Us, and a really good guest spot on Farscape.

Honestly I don't think I'd heard of her till last year which is surprising given how many films she seems to have been in in the 90s.

mothman

Yeah, she never seemed to get out of Aussie indie. Between Kidman and Blanchett she couldn't get a look in. If she even tried at all, that is.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: zomgmouse on January 22, 2018, 04:02:40 AM
Our university library has this on VHS as well though I'm not sure if it's the widescreen release... I'm not sure if they're loaning them out though. I suppose I could try! If you ever find a way to rip a VHS I would be grateful.

Maybe the university has a vcr for watching their videos on? It's becoming a bit of an old format, like microfiche or whatever.

If you want to rip vhs you can use a usb capture device:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aplic-grabber-compatible-processing-post-processing/dp/B01D9T8E1U/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_lp_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=01ZVMT9FP2V6P31WYEM5

less than £20.

Phil_A

Delusion (1991).

I have a feeling this wouldn't be quite up to my fuzzy memory of watching it very late at night around 15 years ago, but I would still like to see it again if it could be found.

phantom_power

I had the soundtrack to that on CD for some reason, by Barry Adamson

zomgmouse

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 22, 2018, 07:06:58 PM
Maybe the university has a vcr for watching their videos on? It's becoming a bit of an old format, like microfiche or whatever.

I can definitely investigate. I've got a VCR at my dad's house too. I'm just not sure if they loan them out as they used to be just in the library and now they're in a store. Again, I can but ask.

zomgmouse

Quote from: billtheburger on January 23, 2018, 08:28:16 PM
This one?
Fishing Was Never Like This

Yes though it's saying it's bigger than the free download lets you do. I've managed to locate one on a Russian tracker though annoyingly the audio comes separately. It's also up on YouTube as fredtitmus has pointed out, though the quality on the torrent is better.

itsfredtitmus

forget finding i cant even remember the name of it

German / Belgian film called something "small town" (I remember thinking to myself "it's rare to see a film that's upfront about itself that much from the title!!")

80s / early 90s
rural, I'm assuming (there's the small town bit)
was only available on vhs
think it was a comedy?
vhs cover made it look a bit like the straight story

Famous Mortimer

The only film with "town" in the title (at least in English translation), filmed in Germany, utilising the German language (although IMDB's search parameters seem a bit wanky on that), released between 1980 and 1995, is "Talk Of The Town", about a radio host who gets love advice from her gay brother. If I had to guess, I'd say it's not what you're looking for.

itsfredtitmus

ah that's not it :(

definitely something with an earnest title denoting provincial lifestyles

zomgmouse

Anatomy of a Paperclip. Any leads?

Also Wage War aka Yuddham Sei or Yutham Sei. Found a copy on tpb but no English subs.

George White

Quote from: zomgmouse on January 19, 2018, 07:24:36 AM
Another one I'm searching for: Death Falls Lightly (La morte scende leggera)

I saw that link during my searches but it's a pan-and-scan version and I'm trying to track down the original aspect ratio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRZrHjNytwo Also, the Coming's here.
Back in Business was in my local electrical shop a while back. It might still be there.

George White

Quote from: mothman on January 22, 2018, 05:23:57 PM
Yeah, she never seemed to get out of Aussie indie. Between Kidman and Blanchett she couldn't get a look in. If she even tried at all, that is.
A sort of female equivalent of John Hargreaves, an Aussie star who just never seemed to get the international break he deserved. Between Gibson, Sam Neill and Bryan Brown, Hargreaves just never got a look-in. Cry Freedom was probably the nearest he got. 

itsfredtitmus

anybody have Crime Wave? (not the Sam one, John Paizs one)
friend and i are going mad for it and cant be bothered to pay 30 pound to get it shipped over

zomgmouse

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on February 07, 2018, 11:22:34 AM
anybody have Crime Wave? (not the Sam one, John Paizs one)
friend and i are going mad for it and cant be bothered to pay 30 pound to get it shipped over

Thought I did but turns out I don't. Can have a scour tomorrow. I do have the André de Toth film of the same name though.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: zomgmouse on February 07, 2018, 12:11:25 PM
Thought I did but turns out I don't. Can have a scour tomorrow. I do have the André de Toth film of the same name though.
I downloaded the DeToth by accident and got really confused when I went to watch it last night 

Sin Agog

I think I've got it.  Haven't got access to my HD right now, but will have a check later.