Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:23:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Titane (2021)

Started by zomgmouse, October 28, 2021, 11:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

Thought this needed its own thread. Julia Ducournau (who made the incredible Raw) is back with her second feature, Titane. Kinda hard to relate the plot without spoiling the experience of letting it unfurl. It's an unbelievable piece of cinema. Has an almost stream-of-consciousness, fever dream style but told with absolute precision. Simply incredible.

From the horror thread:

Quote from: Junglist on October 19, 2021, 04:04:08 PM
And it is a wonderful, incredible thing. Ducournau is fast becoming my favourite filmmaker.

However bar the first 30 I wouldn't label this horror, regardless of the situation the film leads into.

I kind of agree although
Spoiler alert
she does get metallically pregnant and lactates engine oil
[close]
which is at least somewhat body horror.

Anyway everyone needs to see this. Spectacular.

sevendaughters

I haven't seen this but I have seen Happening, which is a similarly French female-directed piece that deals with some similar themes in a more 'realist' setting. I couldn't shoehorn that into the general thread as the film isn't even on general release, and I've seen people contrasting Happening and Titane in spirited ways. Didn't like Raw but am happy to give this a whirl.

Small Man Big Horse

I enjoyed this an awful lot, it's a captivating, weird fucker of a film, I'm not quite sure about everything it was trying to say (or more to the point that I'm not certain if my interpretation of certain aspects is correct or not) but visually it's stunning and I'm really looking forward to reading more about it. 8.3/10

Bence Fekete

Yeah it's very good. Managed to cycle through just about every émotion and then invent some new ones I didn't know exisited.

Gregory Torso

Nice one. I loved Raw and I've been waiting for this to come out for ages. Don't know where I can watch it at the moment though.

Greg Torso

Watched this a couple of weeks ago and it's still in my head. Good Lord. Loved it though. I'd need to watch it again to get a few things squared up but not sure I could handle that at the moment.

Seems like there's a lot of stuff in it commenting on 'masculinity' and what that means. Just a big mess of death and filth and homoerotic firemen raves. And funny how you could take the
Spoiler alert
car-fucking / cyborg baby
[close]
stuff out of it and still have a really dark messed up film about unconditional love and grief and 'family'.

Honestly one of the more uncomfortable films I've seen. Don't really know what to make of the car stuff, whether that was real or what it meant as it didn't seem to be that pertinent to the plot.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm going to rewatch it before going in but I just discovered the new Screenshot show on radio 4 with Ellen E Jones and Mark Kermode did a show covering it and its connections.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001287z

I started listening to the noir one and it was decent. Only stopped because I was in bed and wanted to make a note of some of the films mentioned.

Greg Torso

Ah cheers, I'll give that a listen.

SteveDave

I didn't like this and I usually love films where
Spoiler alert
women fuck cars
[close]

dissolute ocelot

Don't know if "enjoyed" is the right word, but this gripped me from start to finish. I liked the way the plot developed because it initially seemed it would be a quite conventional genre piece
Spoiler alert
about a sexy female serial killer killing lots of people, which has been done before, although the scene at the house where people kept appearing was very funny
[close]
but went in a much more interesting way. And although there are body horror elements it's far more psychological.

I'm normally skeptical about whatever wins at Cannes* but maybe they're getting to choose more interesting winners now.

*Actually of recent winners I really liked Shoplifters, but a social realist film about lovable criminals is far more within the usual Cannes range than this.

PlanktonSideburns

Yea enjoyed this, after expecting to hate it in the first 30min, wich felt a bit like it was going to be Eli Roth Does crash, but became a far richer film by the end