Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:49:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Shiternals

Started by madhair60, October 30, 2021, 05:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colacentral

Quote from: madhair60 on November 04, 2021, 07:43:49 PM
look i keep editing this but i'll just say that I don't think it's hypocritical or performative to not like Marvel, cheers

It's not, I agree. It's the making it a badge of honour that is.

I'm not slating Sonic either, by the way. It's just that we all like things that can be easily denigrated as being for kids, cynical, low brow etc.

madhair60

but the sonic series is a bastion of quality and consistency. a bastion!

chveik

i would've just made one post in this thread if it weren't for colacentral being a weirdo, but apparently this is cult-like behaviour and marvel fans are discriminated against.

colacentral

Quote from: chveik on November 04, 2021, 08:39:03 PM
i would've just made one post in this thread if it weren't for colacentral being a weirdo, but apparently this is cult-like behaviour and marvel fans are discriminated against.

"Being a weirdo?" I directly replied to you twice and it was in response to your comment that talented film makers "don't waste their time" on franchise films, a patently false and pretentious statement. You must be confusing me with someone else.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: bgmnts on November 04, 2021, 07:47:46 PM
I like video games but Sonic the Hedgehog is as low brow is low brow as MCU films

Delete your account

Povidone

Between this and the Squid Game thread Madhair's really killing it in the 'getting a reasonable thread-mileage out of shit I don't like' department.

I think this film looks fine, as does most of the Marvel stuff. Haven't seen one I haven't been mildly entertained by, usually better than they have any right to be. Probably more intrigued by this one than any of the others given the mixed reviews and weird source material. Not really bothered what other folk think about it, in fact I fully understand their grievances with the MCU in general.

Entirely dismissive though of yer Scorceses and Villeneuves giving Marvel stick though as that's just the product of a deranged and out of control news cycle with nothing of value to offer. "Here lets stick a microphone in someone's face and take their barely considered musings as newsworthy gospel to be relayed to the proles, they didn't try to set us on fire for our sheer fucking impudence so we must be right in doing this". Tedious clickbait landfill.

madhair60

mothman

Povidone

Quote from: madhair60 on November 04, 2021, 11:06:49 PM
A BASTION!!!

Don't get me started on the Mario/Sonic false dichotomy. We should all be coming together to fight the real enemy....Kirby

madhair60

Quote from: Povidone on November 04, 2021, 11:17:02 PM
Don't get me started on the Mario/Sonic false dichotomy. We should all be coming together to fight the real enemy....Kirby

I love Kirby >: (

Mister Six

Jack, or the bubblegum that chews YOU?

Quote from: madhair60 on November 04, 2021, 07:43:49 PM
look i keep editing this but i'll just say that I don't think it's hypocritical or performative to not like Marvel, cheers

Quite performative to turn up uninvited and unwanted in every related thread to moan on and on about them, though.

Povidone

Sorry to say Kevin Feige just murdered Video Game Kirby, believing him to be the reincarnation of Jack Kirby coming back for royalties.

madhair60

Quote from: Mister Six on November 04, 2021, 11:45:00 PMQuite performative to turn up uninvited and unwanted in every related thread to moan on and on about them, though.

it's not "performative" at all, it's 100% relevant to the subject, buddy boy, pal

madhair60

"uninvited" to a thread on a forum

well if it isn't the NEGATIVE NANNYS with their contemptible enjoyment of things that are "good"

edit: no though I take your point and I'll leave CaB permanently

Mister Six

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Mister Six on November 04, 2021, 05:38:15 PM
To be honest, the people moaning about MCU films in every related thread seem more like a cult than the people who just watch the fucking things, but whatever.

That's a fucking insult and a half. Sorry I don't watch films you do and was just chipping in my thoughts? You're free to enjoy them?

H-O-W-L

And if you don't know what a cult is wrt culture then I don't fucking know what to say.

Mister Six

Quote from: H-O-W-L on November 05, 2021, 12:43:20 AM
That's a fucking insult and a half. Sorry I don't watch films you do and was just chipping in my thoughts? You're free to enjoy them?

I dunno, mate, you're the one who started bandying about the word "cult". Clearly not intended in a neutral way, much less a positive one, and not etymologically linked to culture, AFAIK.

All I know is that every time someone starts a thread about an MCU thing, a handful of bores feel compelled to strut about boasting about how they don't watch MCU/superhero stuff but even if they did it would all be shite and it's much better to watch a real film and blah blah blah blah.

No idea if you're one of those people, as they all sound the same so I don't pay much attention to their identities, but it's tooth-grindingly tedious.

(The criticism of the trailer and character designs are totally fair, interesting and justified though. It's just all the boasting about never watching MCU films that's fucking wank.)

13 schoolyards

A few people I know who've been on board the Marvel train have been talking about giving up (or at least waiting until home release) in advance of the bad word this has been getting, and having seen it I can't really say they've made the wrong decision.

I can appreciate that the MCU is trying to do something a little different with this one, but it's a bit of a slog.

Glebe

Seems to be getting 2/5 reviews everywhere.

Chollis

madhair60

^ completely unironically

touchingcloth

Captain Planet, with a longer running time than Infinity War.

non capisco

Hello film fans. I can confirm this film is very boring.

Custard

49% on Rotten Tomatoes now. Oof

Though audience score is 84%

touchingcloth

Ten minutes longer than Infinity War. And it felt it.

surreal

Saw this yesterday and have to agree with the reviews really (not the "woke" ones) - it's just dull.  Far too long, trying to be self-important and epic with no build up and I'm getting sick of the "humanity are lovely, they love and dance and sing and look how strong they can be with the loving and dancing and singing, i wish I was as good as humanity" schtick.

Oh and the mid-credit scene made me angry.

They could have avoided all of this if they had teased Galactus at the end of EndGame and started working towards the Fantastic Four rather than going down this rabbit hole.

Best thing was seeing both Jon Snow and Robb Stark repeatedly saying how much they loved Sersi.

Not sure where Kit Harrington's character is headed from the end-credits sequence?  Anyone?  What's with the
Spoiler alert
sword
[close]
, and that was
Spoiler alert
Sam Jackson's voice
[close]
at the end right?

Dr Rock

Quote from: surreal on November 07, 2021, 09:30:14 AMand that was
Spoiler alert
Sam Jackson's voice
[close]
at the end right?

Spoiler alert
The new Blade apparently
[close]

13 schoolyards

I think, based on nothing but some half-remembered memories of old Marvel comics, that he's meant to be
Spoiler alert
The Black Knight, an occasional Avenger who has a cursed sword
[close]

Oh wait, if you look up the related Wikipedia page it confirms it

surreal

Hmmm, that's interesting...