Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:04:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Shiternals

Started by madhair60, October 30, 2021, 05:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

I concede that the above are largely missiles and not lasers

mothman

Guys? The thread for arguing furiously over something we haven't seen yet is here. HTH.

Spoiler alert
Hmm, occurs to me this post has a shelf life of about eight hours...
[close]

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The Eternal Argument.

All that aside, I am a bit surprised and disappointed by the critical reception. It looked quite interesting, with its history spanning timeframe and an array of nice images. Of course, trailers aren't to be trusted and that stuff could obviously just be cherry picked.

sevendaughters

I'm an avowed will-never-go-to-see-MCU type but I really do quite like the original comic book run of the Eternals and am genuinely interested in some more outre superhero stories and the general idea of being forbidden to intervene and the emotional devastation of that is, I think, quite powerful. As a pitch I am involved, I don't care what machine or production house made it.

The politics of the MCU in cinema has been covered elsewhere, but I don't think they get nearly enough criticism for how awful their films look so deep into their existence.

Let's look at the 1976 run of Eternals:

click for bigger. I mean this is bold and idiosyncratic.

here are the deviants. bold as brass. clear, unabashed, brutal.

here is their leader Warlord Kro. bold colours, clarity, zero ambiguity.

and here is Zhao's imagining of it:

this could be a composite of various images from recent CGIdull films. It's so dull and unoriginal at this point. It could be avatar or any other designed-by-committee otherworld character. This is basically Avatar to me, and total visual herpes.

Of course the films needn't match the comics, and there are several reiterations of Eternals that this recent work pulls nearer to. I just don't think Zhao is a visual thinker when it comes to film: she's a contemporary moralist and theory-informed practitioner.

I also think it is weird as fuck that we're talking about this as if the director has that much outcome on several key aspects of the finished product. Zhao wasn't an auteur before, and she certainly isn't one now.

Butchers Blind

The last Marvel film about the ringpiece, the finale of that was them actually flying around in the air fighting the big bad. You can't say they're not consistent in their script writing.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I can't possibly hear the name of the baddies without thinking of The Isle of Man.

https://youtu.be/BO7MuBW8k-w

Jerzy Bondov

Couldn't give a fuck what anythings got on rotton tomatoe. Don't get me wrong this looks shite. But if the sort of chimps who review films are saying it's shite frankly it's more likely to be interesting

Chedney Honks

Quote from: colacentral on October 31, 2021, 10:25:52 AM
It's been obvious for a while.

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on October 31, 2021, 10:21:40 AM
Fuck

Let me stop you there. I don't care what you do with your time nor do I care about insulting the Marvel audience. Enjoy what you like and put him on ignore if you don't want to read his opinion.

colacentral

Quote from: Chedney Honks on October 31, 2021, 01:10:51 PM
Let me stop you there. I don't care what you do with your time nor do I care about insulting the Marvel audience. Enjoy what you like and put him on ignore if you don't want to read his opinion.

Mandrake was talking about you but I meant someone else. Sorry, should have made that clearer but I only later clocked what he meant by TBC.

Chedney Honks

No worries, my mistake in misreading the sequence of posts.

mothman

So were all the Eternals in the comics blond-haired Aryan types? I'm guessing (hoping) not, otherwise I'm sure the same vocal minority who were so exercised about Black Panther and Wonder Wonan movies even existing would be, well, vocalising by now just on the basis of the trailer...

chveik

Quote from: colacentral on October 31, 2021, 10:11:05 AM
That's funny. When you and chveik say stuff like this, you couldn't sound any more like 16 year old boys.

funny is it. i was very mature for my age

colacentral

I thought that too when I was 13 years old pretending to like John Zorn records.

Interesting, when I was 13 I liked Spider-Man.

chveik

Quote from: colacentral on October 31, 2021, 02:00:08 PM
I thought that too when I was 13 years old pretending to like John Zorn records.

how is this relevant?

i do feel sorry for the kids that have to pretend to like those films in order fit in.

mothman

OK if you all don't stop arguing right this second I'm turning the car around and we're going home!

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: madhair60 on October 31, 2021, 10:31:04 AM
what's even happening here

Feels like there should be come sort of weird personal argument room we can fuck off to sometimes to roll in the mud with people

Lord Mandrake

75% of this sub forum is the same two or three blokes agreeing with themselves as pretend people.

bgmnts

I feel like a director of a visual medium should be a visual thinker.

I'm not aware of this Zhao person but that design posted looks really crap. Mass Effect Prothean head with stupid Holi paint all over him.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on October 31, 2021, 03:02:29 PM
75% of this sub forum is the same two or three blokes agreeing with themselves as pretend people.

Couldn't have put it better myself, mate. Another great post.

You tell em!

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on October 31, 2021, 03:02:29 PM

Is it 75% of this forum or just 3-4 Marvel threads over the course of about a year where 3-4 people happen not to think like you on this particular subject that you're unbelievably easily wound up about. This deeply self-justifying paranoia is embarrassing to behold. God knows most people don't agree with me on many things and I'm not looking under the bed for clones to explain why my perceived self-evident correctness goes cruelly unacknowledged day after day. Grow up.

Chedney Honks

Couldn't have put it better myself, mate. Another great post.

You tell em!

colacentral

Quote from: sevendaughters on October 31, 2021, 12:05:12 PM
I'm an avowed will-never-go-to-see-MCU type but I really do quite like the original comic book run of the Eternals and am genuinely interested in some more outre superhero stories and the general idea of being forbidden to intervene and the emotional devastation of that is, I think, quite powerful. As a pitch I am involved, I don't care what machine or production house made it.

The politics of the MCU in cinema has been covered elsewhere, but I don't think they get nearly enough criticism for how awful their films look so deep into their existence.

Let's look at the 1976 run of Eternals:

click for bigger. I mean this is bold and idiosyncratic.

here are the deviants. bold as brass. clear, unabashed, brutal.

here is their leader Warlord Kro. bold colours, clarity, zero ambiguity.

and here is Zhao's imagining of it:

this could be a composite of various images from recent CGIdull films. It's so dull and unoriginal at this point. It could be avatar or any other designed-by-committee otherworld character. This is basically Avatar to me, and total visual herpes.

Of course the films needn't match the comics, and there are several reiterations of Eternals that this recent work pulls nearer to. I just don't think Zhao is a visual thinker when it comes to film: she's a contemporary moralist and theory-informed practitioner.

I also think it is weird as fuck that we're talking about this as if the director has that much outcome on several key aspects of the finished product. Zhao wasn't an auteur before, and she certainly isn't one now.

It's bizarre that they've landed on a drab design choice when Thor: Ragnarok and the Guardians films already skew closer to the Kirby comics. It's as if they've decided color = fun and this one is too important for that, when what they should have done is go full Zardoz / Flash Gordon. There's no reason why you can't have both that sort of design and pretentious wank, as easy as it would be for audiences to laugh at.

Mister Six

Yeah, doing a Kirby series but not tapping into the bonkers Kirbiness really ought to be outlawed. There was a shot in the trailer of this thing -

- which I thought boded well, but even then the palette is desaturated rather than bold four-colour lunacy. And as mentioned, the Deviants all look like discarded early designs for a Mass Effect knock-off.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Kermit the Frog on October 31, 2021, 03:17:37 PM
Is it 75% of this forum or just 3-4 Marvel threads over the course of about a year where 3-4 people happen not to think like you on this particular subject that you're unbelievably easily wound up about. This deeply self-justifying paranoia is embarrassing to behold. God knows most people don't agree with me on many things and I'm not looking under the bed for clones to explain why my perceived self-evident correctness goes cruelly unacknowledged day after day. Grow up.

I'm really not wound up in the slightest nor paranoid nor in need of another amateur psychological profiling from a nutflake, logging in and out as different people.

I am not logging in and out as different people you paranoid lunatic, get a hold of yourself for Christ's sake.

Old Nehamkin

Guys. Come on. What would Kingo think about all this.

Famous Mortimer

Re: the Warlord Kro visual, it's not as bad as Galactus in that Fantastic Four movie being a cloud thing, and not a bloke with a pointy hat.

Magnum Valentino

Name names! Who's at least ACCUSED of being who else? Every time this comes up everyone's really careful about it, why is that?

Goldentony

can we stick to Eternals looking fucking shite? it looks fucking shite, one panel of the comic above up there got me more excited than fuck all else, Eternals looks like David Cronenberg's Crash.