Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:24:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Shiternals

Started by madhair60, October 30, 2021, 05:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Kermit the Frog on October 31, 2021, 04:29:16 PM
I am not logging in and out as different people you paranoid lunatic, get a hold of yourself for Christ's sake.

Whatever, there's no malice on my part. All given and taken in good humour honestly. I just like most their films.. Didn't like Captain Marvel or the latest Spider-man and didn't get through Black Widow's opening credits. If Eternals is shit as it would appear, I'll call it shit.

And, I love Scorsese obviously.

Blumf

Quote from: sevendaughters on October 31, 2021, 12:05:12 PM
and here is Zhao's imagining of it:

In fairness, do we know how much leeway the directors of these films have in character design? There must be a lot of committees involved in those choices.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Blumf on October 31, 2021, 06:19:11 PM
In fairness, do we know how much leeway the directors of these films have in character design? There must be a lot of committees involved in those choices.

There's also an in-movie reason why that particular deviant looks relatively human, though as it turns out
Spoiler alert
it's not a reason that really is explained or one that has much of a pay off
[close]

Jerzy Bondov

Everyone who dislikes this film is a massive racist

mothman

Nonono, that was the last one.

Glebe

PC gone mad, innit. Can't have a white hero any more! Send 'em back.

beanheadmcginty

They've really missed a trick not casting Louise Nurding in this.

Quote from: sevendaughters on October 31, 2021, 12:05:12 PM
here is their leader Warlord Kro. bold colours, clarity, zero ambiguity.

and here is Zhao's imagining of it:

this could be a composite of various images from recent CGIdull films. It's so dull and unoriginal at this point. It could be avatar or any other designed-by-committee otherworld character. This is basically Avatar to me, and total visual herpes.

Really? I like the character design from the movie screenshot much better. The problem is poor CGI execution, assuming it stills looks like that in the finished movie. I'm not a fan of CGI characters in general, but you can't really blame that on a director making a movie for the Marvel franchise.

Harvey Milk

Quote from: chveik on October 30, 2021, 08:47:26 PM
yes there's no way a truly good filmmaker would waste their time with such a project

Don't look now, but Werner Herzog has just been touted to direct Namor the Sub-Mariner.

bgmnts

Martin Scoresese to direct Avengers 12.

buzby

This is pushing Dune out of IMAX screens this weekend. Must be particularly annoying to Villeneuve as in September he was the latest director to have a pop at Marvel's approach to filmmaking.

H-O-W-L

I've not watched a Marvel since Iron Man 2 and I genuinely only watched it because I was too ill to get up and turn off the telly and the remote had fallen on the floor. I genuinely cannot see the appeal in them, even as someone who was a big fan of the Marvel franchise for a long arse while. Even the new Spiddermuns don't appeal, they just seem so... beige. Beige wrapped in colorful plastic. The only one I've thought about watching (but haven't) is Spider-Verse. Don't know if that's part of the larger franchise but don't give a pisspot toss either way.

Jerzy Bondov

I like the MCU. They've turned me off with all the TV series; there's just too much CONTENT everywhere now. But I like the films. They're good. I can't be bothered with people being sniffy about them, saying they're not cinema or whatever, so fuck, if they entertain you then just own it. You won't be on your death bed going ohhh I wish I hadn't seen Iron Man 2. Some people are desperate for these films to fail, and some are desperate for them to make a hundred billion big fat American dollars. I could not care less how successful any given film is. Totally irrelevant. That's not talking about movies, it's talking about business, and it's boring to me.

I say all this to make it clear I'm not out for the film's blood or anything. But I just read a review that says
Spoiler alert
it's got a scene where one of the lads invents the atom bomb and then goes round the bombed out remains of Hiroshima like OH NO WHAT HAVE I DONE?! SILLY ME
[close]

Mister Six

Quote from: H-O-W-L on November 04, 2021, 02:31:46 PM
The only one I've thought about watching (but haven't) is Spider-Verse. Don't know if that's part of the larger franchise but don't give a pisspot toss either way.

It's not, and you should watch it because it's gorgeous and very funny. See it on the biggest screen in the highest definition and fullest saturation possible. It's as far from beige as it's possible to get.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Mister Six on November 04, 2021, 05:15:20 PM
It's not, and you should watch it because it's gorgeous and very funny. See it on the biggest screen in the highest definition and fullest saturation possible. It's as far from beige as it's possible to get.

It does look very artistically good from those snippets I've seen, I just didn't want to end up being like "oh it's all part of that cult". Glad to know.

Mister Six

To be honest, the people moaning about MCU films in every related thread seem more like a cult than the people who just watch the fucking things, but whatever.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Well can you blame them? These films are shoved down everyone's throats. It is literally impossible to ignore them.

Oh, hang on a second. That's not actually true, is it?

I would never suggest that anyone is under any obligation to like the MCU, but the apparent obsession some people have with it verges on the masochistic. There's plenty of stuff I don't like - much of it very popular, including here on CaB: sports, soap operas, The Great British Bake Off, Doctor Who. I just ignore it all though. It's piss easy. Totally passive. I don't read about it, I don't watch stuff on Youtube about it, I don't start threads on here about it. Hell, I do like the MCU for the most part and I still didn't see anything about Black Widow until I watched it just the other day.

madhair60

Quote from: Mister Six on November 04, 2021, 05:38:15 PM
To be honest, the people moaning about MCU films in every related thread seem more like a cult than the people who just watch the fucking things, but whatever.

yeah they seem well like a cult, not liking the things you like and all. one of us, one of us

Lord Mandrake

Not seen Dune and liked Sicario well enough but Denis Villneuve lives up his own jeb.

Chollis

haha, we dish it out and we take it, we have a good honest argument about these films but when all's said and done our bond is stronger for it, because that's what Marvel is about: family.

Chollis

sorry no thats Fast and Furious

Chedney Honks

Spiderverse is an absolutely brilliant film from an animation point of view, I've never seen anything quite like it. One hundred percent worth watching for the visuals alone. Characters are slightly more likeable than your average crap and the story is fine, enough to keep you ticking along. Music and surround sound shit is also really cool very often. I don't know which universe the cunt belongs to but it's a treat.

madhair60

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on November 04, 2021, 06:23:32 PM
Not seen Dune and liked Sicario well enough but Denis Villneuve lives up his own jeb.

as does anyone who doesn't care for the many spidered men

Lord Mandrake

Maybe but Dennis lives right up there, hard.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 04, 2021, 06:07:42 PM
Well can you blame them? These films are shoved down everyone's throats. It is literally impossible to ignore them.

I would never suggest that anyone is under any obligation to like the MCU, but the apparent obsession some people have with it verges on the masochistic. There's plenty of stuff I don't like - much of it very popular, including here on CaB: sports, soap operas, The Great British Bake Off, Doctor Who. I just ignore it all though. It's piss easy. Totally passive. I don't read about it, I don't watch stuff on Youtube about it, I don't start threads on here about it. Hell, I do like the MCU for the most part and I still didn't see anything about Black Widow until I watched it just the other day.

This is a fair point but the thing is that the 'stuff I like' actually gets genuinely ignored on here. Just to pick two examples, the threads for The Other Side of the Wind and First Reformed, which are both American films in the English language that were new releases not too long ago, both barely made it to a single page of any kind of back and forth discussion. Two of the best films to be out in the last 5 years imo, and judging by the reaction on here they may as well have not come out at all. There's even people in those threads who don't like those films and nobody is weird to them about it! Lack of enthusiasm isn't seen as conspiratorial or tactless. The fact of the matter is that on this site it's hard to get any substantial discussion going about cinema if you're not talking about either a big tentpole release or some well established 80s/90s cult classic or just doing a 'list your favourite genre stuff' thread. That's not really something that can be remedied. People have tried, threads sink within 6-7 posts. Whaddya do.

colacentral

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 04, 2021, 06:07:42 PM

It's also an obviously performative and hypocritical crusade for most of them. Are MCU films more in your face on a daily basis than say soaps, which are and always shall be shoved in your face on the covers of magazines at supermarket checkouts? Or the constant appearance of football on sky sports / BT sports banners and gambling ads? If anything I think the MCU advertising could be a lot worse. You don't see Eternals brand oranges, for example, like you do with Star Wars. It's all easily ignorable, like you said.

Not to mention that the charge of appealing to teenage boys applies to basically all genre fiction, and the charge of using a copy and paste formula applies to every major series of films I can think of, from Bond to Godzilla to Friday the 13th. These are not high art but nobody is under the illusion that they are. We all consume junk culture to keep from hanging ourselves, let's not kid each other. You have madhair starting this thread but then seriously dissecting the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise in the next breath. 

As far as Dune in IMAX - there aren't that many IMAX screens and Dune has been out for two weeks. It's not because Disney forced it out.

madhair60

look i keep editing this but i'll just say that I don't think it's hypocritical or performative to not like Marvel, cheers

bgmnts

I like video games but Sonic the Hedgehog is as low brow is low brow as MCU films 

madhair60

Quote from: bgmnts on November 04, 2021, 07:47:46 PM
I like video games but Sonic the Hedgehog is as low brow is low brow as MCU films

how dare you

Chedney Honks

Quote from: colacentral on November 04, 2021, 07:28:33 PM
Godzilla...junk culture...

Have you ever heard of a little thing called the nucleated bombs my friend?