Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:59:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your Best / Worst Film Lists For 2021

Started by Small Man Big Horse, January 01, 2022, 01:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Ambassador

1.   Another Round.
2.   Spencer.
3.   The French Dispatch.
4.   Where'd You Go, Bernadette.
5.   The Matrix Resurrections.
6.   The Amusement Park.
7.   The Nest.
8.   A Quiet Place Part II.
9.   Last Night in Soho.
10.   Spider-Man: No Way Home.

5.   The Green Knight.
4.   Spiral: From the Book of Saw.
3.   Chaos Walking.
2.   No Time to Die.
1.   Ghostbusters: Afterlife.

peanutbutter

RE: WKW. I've never gotten why In The Mood For Love has the rep it has beyond it a being a big aesthetic shakeup.

Chungking Express and Fallen Angels would be his best imo. Can totally see why someone would find his whole thing charmless too.
Quote from: Herbert Ashe on January 02, 2022, 12:34:11 PMDrive My Car (Hamaguchi) - at least, I think lots of it is great, and it may just be my own taste that made me lose touch with it towards the end (I have a bit of a weariness towards - avoiding spoilers - some of the psychological territory involved, along with how this connects with the play). I've never read any Murakami to judge, but I believe that Hamaguchi added a lot to the short story, so I wonder if my problem is more with elements of the source material.

Yeah I was loving this for about 2.5 hours and then the last patch I felt like I had totally dissociated and couldn't figure out if the issue was something purely physiological with me (e.g. abruptly feeling hungry) or if the film had just made a massive misstep somewhere along the way.

Spoiler alert
Not really sure how they could've handled everything after the arrest but I'd say it's from about that point there where I was out of it.
[close]

SteveDave

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on January 11, 2022, 09:39:52 AM5.   The Green Knight.
4.   Spiral: From the Book of Saw.
3.   Chaos Walking.
2.   No Time to Die.
1.   Ghostbusters: Afterlife.

O fuckinell, I'd forgotten about that abortion.

Herbert Ashe

Quote from: peanutbutter on January 11, 2022, 11:12:55 AMRE: WKW. I've never gotten why In The Mood For Love has the rep it has beyond it a being a big aesthetic shakeup.

I like it a lot, but it's not in my top 5 WKW; there's something about the rhythm of the editing that I've always found a little unsatisfying and forced, and although I can understand it being 'Best WKW film' by consensus, I can't approve.

Spoiler alert
Not really sure how they could've handled everything after the arrest but I'd say it's from about that point there where I was out of it.
[close]

Yes, good point; at least for me, maybe as the fall-out from that in terms of the plot made it seem clearer where things were going and some sense of adventure felt lost.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Emma Raducanu on January 11, 2022, 09:12:59 AMWtf?

What the fuck?

I already copped a load for this but what can I say other than it got on my nerves a bit. I love a bit of 'style' and 'alienation' but the combination this film opted for started to squeeze my eyeballs in their sockets.