Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:27:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Scream 5

Started by up_the_hampipe, January 09, 2022, 11:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: mothman on January 12, 2022, 09:41:00 PMThing that always annoyed me about the first film was a scene when early on you see that Ghostface is lurking in the woods outside Sidney's house. He doesn't attack or anything, just lurks. In costume. Nobody sees him. Just the audience. A little jump scare to raise the tension.

But why is he there? Well, we know why. But in costume? Where anybody could see him? Out of costume, it's just a kid in the woods. Anybody who sees him is going to know something's amiss.

I'm assuming that part is supposed to be Stu, as he seemed to be do everything for shits and giggles. He's also following them in the supermarket in costume, which is a very foolish idea. Might just enjoy going around in the costume being creepy. 

Rev+

Haven't seen it in years but wasn't the idea that he was hanging around specifically to be seen?  There were two guys wearing the costume, and he was supposed to be noticed to make it impossible that the killer was somewhere else at the same time.

I've had a blurty arsehole completely spoil this one via email, but apart from one detail it sounds like spoilers aren't too much of a problem with this one.  The ride is the enjoyable thing, even if you know where it's going.

mothman

Yeah but in the scene in question I don't think there's anyone that could have seen him. And yes Stu being an asshole is as good an explanation as we're likely to have...

Just occurred to me (25 years later ffs), why was the Principal killed in the first one? A distraction, to get everyone else out of the house and leave Sidney alone with Billy and Stu?

Given having double killers seems to be very much the Ghostface MO (except for 3 I think?), I'm guessing someone somewhere at some time has done an exhaustive analysis of which killer is in the costume at which points in 1, 2, and 4? For instance I presume it was Mrs. Loomis who killed Randy in 2, given he was talking about her son in less than glowing terms just before he died...

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: mothman on January 13, 2022, 12:29:11 AMJust occurred to me (25 years later ffs), why was the Principal killed in the first one? A distraction, to get everyone else out of the house and leave Sidney alone with Billy and Stu?

Apparently there was a long portion of the original script without a murder scene, so the studio wanted them to add another before the final act. I guess it helped them find a way to empty out the house party later on as well.

Quote from: mothman on January 13, 2022, 12:29:11 AMGiven having double killers seems to be very much the Ghostface MO (except for 3 I think?), I'm guessing someone somewhere at some time has done an exhaustive analysis of which killer is in the costume at which points in 1, 2, and 4? For instance I presume it was Mrs. Loomis who killed Randy in 2, given he was talking about her son in less than glowing terms just before he died...

I think Mrs. Loomis explains this to Sidney. She hired Mickey to do all the killing, but she killed Randy herself. I think 4 is 50/50.

Mister Six

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 13, 2022, 12:40:46 AMApparently there was a long portion of the original script without a murder scene, so the studio wanted them to add another before the final act. I guess it helped them find a way to empty out the house party later on as well.

Exactly that. Weinstein wanted another murder, Williamson couldn't figure out how to get everyone out of the house. It worked out well.

But do they need a motivation to run about in costume and kill people? I thought that was their whole thing. What's the point in living out your slasher movie dreams if you're not doing that?

mothman

But it's not like they're doing it all the time - they take the costume off to avoid detection. So good luck with that insanity plea (not that any of them survive to be arrested let alone tried).

I suppose it's all just part of the conceit - why do they even wear a costume? So the audience don't know who they are.

13 schoolyards

Having risked death to see this at a public screening, I can confirm that it is most definitely a Scream movie. The whodunnit angle was decent and some of the speeches about the meta stuff were fun, which was handy because the new characters were mostly kind of dull and the older cast were largely coasting. Surprise MVP: David Arquette.

Not really a spoiler but:

Spoiler alert
The kills were fairly gory too, but the obvious CGI in a couple of places was a let down. Though in at least one case they knew you might think a particular character might survive so Ghostface really goes to town gutting them to remove all doubt.
[close]

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Mister Six on January 13, 2022, 02:31:07 AMExactly that. Weinstein wanted another murder, Williamson couldn't figure out how to get everyone out of the house. It worked out well.

And we got to see Wes Craven dressed as Freddy Krueger.

Rev+

Quote from: mothman on January 13, 2022, 09:12:50 AMI suppose it's all just part of the conceit - why do they even wear a costume? So the audience don't know who they are.

It's to preserve the whodunnit thing but it's also something these people would reasonably do - they want to be this mysterious killer like out of the films, not just some dingbat from down the road stabbing people.  Jason Voorhees and Michael Myers wear masks, it's just a thing.

That thing that 13 schoolyards just mentioned that isn't really a spoiler (and this isn't either):

Spoiler alert
I think that's the thing someone 'ruined' for me last night, and if it is, then it's probably right to be as unambiguous as possible there.
[close]

mothman

Yes, initially I thought that not many slashers wore masks - and then I couldn't stop thinking of ones that did. See also: Leatherface...

Avril Lavigne

Yes why would a criminal try to disguise their identity? The mind boggles

up_the_hampipe

Saw this tonight. It was largely fun, but a bit strange towards the end. The murder scenes are probably some of the best in the franchise, especially
Spoiler alert
Mary and Wes. They toyed with the audience so much that it was almost trolling, but the payoff was still good.
[close]

Spoiler alert
The visions of Billy Loomis, with that de-ageing CGI they used. So bizarre. I'm not sure if the lesson was for his daughter to harness that hereditary darkness within her for good, but it certainly was a weird decision to make one of the main protagonists so psychotic.
[close]

13 schoolyards

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 15, 2022, 12:36:06 AM
Spoiler alert
The visions of Billy Loomis, with that de-ageing CGI they used. So bizarre. I'm not sure if the lesson was for his daughter to harness that hereditary darkness within her for good, but it certainly was a weird decision to make one of the main protagonists so psychotic.
[close]

I assumed that was just to make every single character (apart from the legacy ones... maybe) in play as the possible killer. You can't trust anyone!

Spoiler alert
I do give the movie a thumbs up for going with a whodunnit solution that was relatively obvious - it made the film feel like an actual story rather than just "lets pick a random killer you'll never ever guess and who cares if it makes sense", even if they did have to have characters in the movie suggesting then dismissing the obvious suspect to throw the audience off
[close]

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on January 15, 2022, 06:25:24 AMI assumed that was just to make every single character (apart from the legacy ones... maybe) in play as the possible killer. You can't trust anyone!

I was referring more to
Spoiler alert
the way she frantically stabbed Richie at the end. It was a lot!
[close]

mjwilson

Glad to get confirmation that
Spoiler alert
people who hate The Last Jedi are serial killers.
[close]

mothman

Yes, has anyone heard from St. Eddie recently?

colacentral

I had high expectations and was pretty disappointed. I thought they'd be brave and try something wild but it was the same old shit.

I'll probably like it more on its own terms eventually, but this was a chance to be inventive and shake up the formula and they fucked it. I can't be arsed getting into spoilers but if you've seen it, you know what I mean.

Small Man Big Horse

This is now available on your torrent sites. I thought it was fine, quite entertaining and enjoyable (and as someone mentioned above, David Arquette was really great),
Spoiler alert
but then the big reveal felt a bit disappointing. I'm not sure what else could have been done, and it wasn't terrible I guess, but the actual speech he gave went on for bloody ages and felt irritating by the end.
[close]
Still, I enjoyed the kills, and overall it was fun, but I really don't know what they'll do with 6, and once again I'll be waiting for the reviews to come out before considering seeing it. 6.8/10

Rev+

Yeah, perfectly okay if overlong, but it plays it very safe.  If Wes Craven was still with us and had any inclination to make a fifth one, I think it would have ripped up the rulebook.  Maybe that'll happen in the next one (or two, as it seems to be nailed-on as a trilogy), but the new guys had to prove they wouldn't fumble it I suppose.