Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:53:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

SPOILERS Fascinated by the first Mad max film

Started by Fambo Number Mive, July 18, 2022, 09:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on July 24, 2022, 07:25:46 PMIt's also interesting to think about in context of the wider Ozploitation genre, which really kicked off in the seventies with all kinds of films pushing the envelope in terms of sex and violence content
Mostly sex, they were a right rum bunch. I saw "Pacific Banana" the other day, you get the lot in that one.

Fambo Number Mive

Something I've only just noticed is that Max's name is on the side of his Interceptor. It's interesting how Roop and Charlie drive a car with two blue lights marked Pursuit, and Max drives one marked Interceptor with one blue light and one red light. I presume Max is a more advanced officer than Roop and Charlie and marking MFP cars that are going to engage the criminals as Interceptors while those which will just keep pace with them as Pursuit gives an idea to officers in the pursuit which car will do what? In case their radios have issues? Or maybe it's another way of flattering the top police officers like Max? Otherwise I don't see the logic.

I wonder how many MFP there actually are in Max's world and whether they just patrolled the Outback while the city police forces dealt with the more populated areas.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on July 26, 2022, 12:38:40 PMI wonder how many MFP there actually are in Max's world and whether they just patrolled the Outback while the city police forces dealt with the more populated areas.
I always went under the assumption the cities were gone (by nuclear bombing or whatever), probably due to the end of Mad Max 3 being in the ruins of one. The town of the original film was far enough away to not be directly/immediately affected by the bombs, but obviously the infrastructure of industry, law and such was quickly decaying.

Harry Badger

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on July 18, 2022, 09:53:24 PMYou do wonder, if there is an energy crisis that is so serious it is causing societal collapse, how can television stations still keep running? Or is it that they are owned by the wealthy and can bribe or influence the government as it brings in energy rationing?

I'm sure I read an interview with George Miller saying that the inspiration for the film came from the 1973 energy crash and seeing fights at petrol pumps. The film would have come out at the time of the second energy crunch of the 1970s. Peak Oil was very much a concern at the time until the can was kicked forty years down the road by increasing non-conventional supply.

I suspect the world depicted in Mad Max is basically like our current world in that it is slowly falling apart but with enough recognisable artefacts from before. Their world is just a little further down the line into energy chaos. The nuclear war between the first two films would have been over the last remaining supplies.