Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:53:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

David Warner dead

Started by Shaky, July 25, 2022, 12:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaky

Sad news - legendary Brit character actor and sci-fi/fantasy collosus David Warner has died. Involved in a lot of great stuff and always excellent value even when slumming it in Z-grade guff. The Omen. Straw Dogs. Tron. Star Trek. Dr Who. Time After Time.  Shitloads more. Feels like he was in most of the films and series I watched growing up (and that's not too much of an exaggeration, actually). One of those people it just felt nice knowing was still out there doing his thing.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/jul/25/veteran-british-actor-david-warner-star-of-the-omen-and-tron-dies-aged-80

GoblinAhFuckScary

dang! :(

always loved the combo of him and peck in the omen. shipped them big time.

fan of his small lil role in the mouth of madness too

notjosh

One of our great character actors. Loved him in all the stuff you mentioned, plus The Man with Two Brains, Perfect Friday, and he was brilliant in Graham Duff's Nebulous. Really enjoyed his Doctor in the Big Finish audios too, and would have loved it if he'd made it to screen. Always hoped I might get to meet him someday!

checkoutgirl

League of Gentlemen Apocalypse as well he was in.

Jim_MacLaine

The Larry Sanders curse strikes again.

R.I.P. M.C.P.

frajer

Shit. Such a great actor who elevated everything he was in. Think my favourite is his perfect villainous turn in Time Bandits, dripping in exquisite camp and petty cruelty.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on July 25, 2022, 01:02:38 PMThe Larry Sanders curse strikes again.

Beat me to it. I was only just watching his episode the other day, with him playing an evil Brit (of course):

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6shka3

RIP, Evil Genius.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: notjosh on July 25, 2022, 12:47:07 PMAlways hoped I might get to meet him someday!

Likewise, and I tried a couple of years ago when he was at the Camden Film Fair, but I didn't finish work until 1pm that day and though it was advertised as an all day affair he only did a couple of hours in the morning. Which I completely understand given his age, but it was still gutting as if I'd known that was the case I'd have taken the day off work.

Anyhow, I just want to echo all of the other love for him, it didn't seem to matter if it was a low budget project or a blockbuster, he'd always give his all to a performance, and it's very sad to hear that he's passed away, especially as it appears he had a quite brutal battle with cancer for the last 18 months.

Bad Ambassador

There can't be many who worked with Bob Dylan and Lin-Manuel Miranda at the opposite ends of their careers.

frajer

Lovely tribute up at Big Finish, where he did excellent work as a fabulously grouchy Unbound version of the Doctor: https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/david-warner-1941-2022

Particularly enjoyed this from Nicholas Briggs:

Quote"I remember how David's long association with us began. During a cast lunch, he suddenly gesticulated at me impatiently, sounding furious. 'You!' he said accusingly, 'Are you in charge here?!?' I said that I was. 'I want a word with you!' he said. 'Come with me.' And he marched me behind a pillar, just a few feet away from where the rest of the cast were eating. 'I want to do a lot more of this audio stuff. In fact, I'd like to do it all day every day, because I love it!' It was quite a relief that I didn't get the roasting I'd assumed I was in for from his tone of voice. 

notjosh

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 25, 2022, 01:11:51 PMAnyhow, I just want to echo all of the other love for him, it didn't seem to matter if it was a low budget project or a blockbuster, he'd always give his all to a performance, and it's very sad to hear that he's passed away, especially as it appears he had a quite brutal battle with cancer for the last 18 months.

Yes, a real professional. A friend of mine worked with him on this (presumably low-budget) short film a few years ago and said he was a delight and extremely generous with his time:

NB. I'm not sure, but I think this predates David Warner and Lisa Bowerman meeting in the Unbound universe.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

*KABOOM*

"Never talk to me like that again!"

Just brilliant. He was the godfather of that type of delicious villainy. Above Hans Gruber and all the rest.

Famous Mortimer

My first ever experience of him was "My Best Friend Is A Vampire", so it was something of a shock to see him be incredible in all sorts of different movies later. A brilliant actor (and sounded like a gbol too).

lipsink

The man with possibly the most memorable horror death in all of cinema?

Loved his appearance in 'Cross Of Iron' too. Was also solid in 'Titantic' FWIW.

RIP.

Bad Ambassador

Not only was he in Titanic, he was in the film Titanic knocked off the number 1 spot from the previous week - Scream 2, in which he has a nice cameo as the stern but kindly theatre director who gives Neve Campbell some fatherly advice.

Brundle-Fly

Another great gone. This is my favourite Warner film. R.I.P.

QDRPHNC

Bummer, one of these guys you forget about, and when he shows up in something you remember he's great. And he was in Twin Peaks, of course, which is just a lifetime stamp on the cool card.

lipsink

He always reminded me of 70s horror that League Of Gentlemen and other people pastiche. He had a great horror face and just seemed like a relic from a different era. I think I found him quite creepy (in a good way) cos I saw that famous death scene of him when I was a kid and it scarred me for life.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles 2: The Secret of the Ooze He was the one that knew the secret!

jamiefairlie

Quote from: notjosh on July 25, 2022, 01:46:54 PMYes, a real professional. A friend of mine worked with him on this (presumably low-budget) short film a few years ago and said he was a delight and extremely generous with his time:

NB. I'm not sure, but I think this predates David Warner and Lisa Bowerman meeting in the Unbound universe.

And only now did I discover he and Bowerman were a couple.

Rizla

Damn. One of the very best. So many brilliant roles - no-one's even mentioned Morgan yet.

notjosh

Quote from: jamiefairlie on July 25, 2022, 03:02:21 PMAnd only now did I discover he and Bowerman were a couple.

Oh wow - news to me too.

First Warnie, and now this? RIP

Bad Ambassador

I guess the ending of The Dying Days is now canon IRL.

Blumf

Blumf

Not seen Little Malcolm and His Struggle Against the Eunuchs (1974)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bGV9tIj830

Might want to fix that.

lauraxsynthesis

My fave performance of his is in The Fixer (1968). Here's a mad fan edit with weird music and no dialogue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahoWQsi_cnk

It was always such a treat when he turned up in things. RIP

It's a bit unfair that the black guy with glasses in the elevator in Damien: Omen II will probably die anonymous.

bakabaka

And it was always an unexpected delight when his voice suddenly appeared in an animation, like The Tick, Freakazoid, Billy & Mandy, etc.

Anyone who could be equally at home (and brilliant) in Twin Peaks and Teen Titans Go! had to be a special kind of person.

Thursday

The king of "Oh cool, it's that guy!" appearances.