Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:29:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fire of Love

Started by WhoMe, July 30, 2022, 06:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhoMe

Made a point to go and see this in the cinema, really glad I did. Follows two fanatic volcanologists through their careers up to their inevitable demise in a burning cloud of ash. The footage from their field work up close with active eruptions is fucking unbelievable. The story of their relationship, work and public image is told well and doesn't drag. In the end it's sad but also quite life affirming. Really loved it.

Shaky

Cheers for this - been itching to go to the cinema but nothing has really tickled my fancy. This looks fascinating so might give it a go!

WhoMe

Quote from: Shaky on July 31, 2022, 09:11:52 AMThis looks fascinating so might give it a go!

Fairly limited release but hopefully somewhere showing it near you. Definitely worth the effort.

bgmnts

They better get Pompei'd at the end of i'd be severely disappointed.

WhoMe

Quote from: bgmnts on July 31, 2022, 06:10:45 PMThey better get Pompei'd at the end of i'd be severely disappointed.

I have excellent news

beanheadmcginty

Is it mostly them talking French with subtitle translation? Or is there an English voiceover that explains everything so it wouldn't matter if I can't read the subtitles?

WhoMe

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 31, 2022, 08:51:39 PMIs it mostly them talking French with subtitle translation? Or is there an English voiceover that explains everything so it wouldn't matter if I can't read the subtitles?

I think the couple spoke in English occasionally but most of their dialogue is French with subtitles, along with English narration giving wider context to events. Maybe 30% of film has subtitles... rough guess.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: WhoMe on July 30, 2022, 06:35:54 PMup to their inevitable demise in a burning cloud of ash.

Didn't bury the lead there, did ye? Fucking spoiler alert man.

WhoMe

It's quite well known that they died. One of the first things said in the film is 'tomorrow will be their last day', it's not a spoiler.

Shaky

It's right up there in the trailer too. This appears to be showing near me so I believe a watch is in order.

Lost Oliver

Loved this. Would encourage anyone to go and see it on the big screen.

Lost Oliver

And it's made me want to go and see a red volcano. Finally I have a goal in life.

Keebleman

A couple of weeks ago The Next Picture Show podcast discussed this film together with Herzog's Grizzly Man.

https://megaphone.link/FILM1092660723
https://megaphone.link/FILM7279136103

WhoMe

Quote from: Keebleman on August 03, 2022, 08:30:03 AMA couple of weeks ago The Next Picture Show podcast discussed this film together with Herzog's Grizzly Man.

https://megaphone.link/FILM1092660723
https://megaphone.link/FILM7279136103

Thanks, listening now. They seem quite hung up on fairly side issues like not knowing whether the Kraft's put out much actual science or how a dinghy survived in the acid lake? Clue is in the name for what angle this film is going for. 

Weirdly it seems like Werner Herzog has a documentary coming out this year on the Kraffts as well, it'll be interesting to see how they compare.

The Fire Within - Requiem for Katia and Maurice Krafft

Keebleman

Quote from: WhoMe on August 03, 2022, 02:13:40 PMWeirdly it seems like Werner Herzog has a documentary coming out this year on the Kraffts as well, it'll be interesting to see how they compare.

The Fire Within - Requiem for Katia and Maurice Krafft

Definitely!  Clearly the NPS guys didn't know about this or they would have mentioned it.  I was really put off seeing FoL by their reactions, also some other reviews I have read, but I think I will give it a look now.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: WhoMe on August 03, 2022, 02:13:40 PMThey seem quite hung up on fairly side issues like not knowing whether the Kraft's put out much actual science or how a dinghy survived in the acid lake?

A lake of naturally occurring sulphuric acid wouldn't damage a rubber dinghy. You'd be in more trouble in an aluminium boat I reckon.

Small Man Big Horse

Saw this on Friday and wrote a short review for my files (ie, a word doc as my memory is appalling).

Documentary about a French couple who were madly in love with each other and madly in love with volcanoes. Edited together using the couple's own archive, it begins with them meeting (and suggesting three ways it may have happened) and then roughly follows their career right up until after about twenty odd years they finally get too close, though thankfully no footage of their demise exists. It really is fascinating, and the footage of the various very different lava flows and eruptions are often stunningly beautiful, and it's shocking at times as well, but it felt a little over long, that we didn't learn a huge amount about them (he has a strong anti-authoritarian streak, she's fascinated by the miniature details) and it's a shame there wasn't any current day footage of their friends discussing them, though I suppose given that they only seemed to befriend other volcanologists there might be a very sad reason for that. 7.2/10

Twit 2

Really looking forward to Herzog's take. His sequence on them from Into the Inferno with the Verdi Requiem was stunning.

Mobbd

Saw it and loved it. Strongly recommended for big screen.

I loved both of them. Definitely a life well lived (and well shared with each other). She was obviously brave but he was more foolhardy than brave. He was very entertaining though, a real [media?] personality and very funny.

I liked the line about (I'm paraphrasing slightly) "she has seen 170 volcanoes, I have seen 150. It is a point of tension in our relationship."

Heart was in my mouth somewhat when they were out on that acid lake. That was just fucking stupid.

holyzombiejesus

I might go and see this tomorrow night. Is Miranda July's narration annoying? It started to grate in the trailer and that was only about 90 seconds long.

Sebastian Cobb

I wanted to see this but the week it was showing here coincided with me being holed up with covid.

Mobbd

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 22, 2022, 10:04:35 AMI might go and see this tomorrow night. Is Miranda July's narration annoying? It started to grate in the trailer and that was only about 90 seconds long.

Actually, I didn't know it was Miranda July! I find her a bit annoying but I didn't find the narration annoying. It's a bit, um, "route one poetic" at times if that makes sense and I almost rolled my eyes a couple of times but its heart is in the right place and it doesn't usurp the story or the incredible images.

holyzombiejesus

Ah, ok, thanks. Will book a ticket now!

holyzombiejesus

Really enjoyed this, quite moving. Some of the shots of the volcanos and lava made them seem so fucking evil. So wish Maurice had got to sail his boat down a lava flow.

Does anyone know if the original footage had sound or was it foley-d on?

Only quibble was the dickhead talking at normal volume throughout the film. I said "Please, will you shut up?" and he pondered for a second and then shrugged and said "no, go and sit down there", gesturing towards the front rows. TBF, he apologised on the way out but didn't enjoy the film as much because of it.

Mobbd

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 24, 2022, 01:36:03 PMOnly quibble was the dickhead talking at normal volume throughout the film. I said "Please, will you shut up?" and he pondered for a second and then shrugged and said "no, go and sit down there", gesturing towards the front rows. TBF, he apologised on the way out but didn't enjoy the film as much because of it.

Jesus. Oddly enough, there was a talker at the back of the room when we went in to this very film. It hadn't begun yet but the proper trailers (not the ads) were on. "Loud-talking cunt," I said to my wife and she laughed. He shut up right away. I suppose if he overheard that, which wasn't as loud as he was being, he knew he was bang to rights. Sounds like your loud-talker would carry on regardless though.

Glad you liked the film! Especially as it was sort-of a CaB nudge.

WhoMe

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 24, 2022, 01:36:03 PMDoes anyone know if the original footage had sound or was it foley-d on?

I read that it was all foley'd. Source material is silent 16mm footage. You can imagine one of them holding one of those fluffy boom mics close to a lava flow and it bursting into flames though.
I'm really glad some of you have been and enjoyed this (despite the cinema knobheads), I still think about it quite a lot.

imitationleather

Finally got to see this on the big screen at one of the final screenings they were doing up in Newcastle.

Thought the footage was sensational, but was expecting that due to having seen the Herzog doc already.

The narration, however, really let it down. It either didn't need narration or they needed to write a script that treated the viewer with a bit more respect and ability to fill in the narrative gaps themselves. And also get someone with a less annoying voice to do it.

Overall: Very much worth it to see what those two mad lads filmed.

EDIT: Just reading the thread and I see the narration has been mentioned by other posters. You're watching the most obscenely beautiful natural footage ever recorded while also having someone's idea of a poetic interpretation of it fed to you at the same time. It's like a Premier League match when they for some reason have four co-commentators.

Ferris

Like my old pal wanker imitationleather I saw the Herzog film so am somewhat aware of the couple and their work, but would love to see this.

I'm sure some evil netflix-adjacent conglomerate will buy this up so I'll keep an eye out because it looks great.

imitationleather

Quote from: Ferris on September 06, 2022, 01:41:38 AMLike my old pal wanker imitationleather I saw the Herzog film so am somewhat aware of the couple and their work, but would love to see this.

I'm sure some evil netflix-adjacent conglomerate will buy this up so I'll keep an eye out because it looks great.

I know it'd probably involve a 16 hour round trip drive for you or something, but it is definitely worth seeing in the cinema. Or as you guys call it, a "moooovie feeeeeeaaaaaarrrterrrr".

The shots of the lava and ting just are not going to be as good, even if you have a massive telly.

imitationleather

My telly is 42" and it just wouldn't have been the same.

It's a tricky one, is telly size.

You've got to be careful not to go too big because most of the time you're watching The One Show one it.

I felt 42" was the max I could go without people coming round and thinking I pay for it by the week.