Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:44:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Andrew Lawrence

Started by chrispmartha, June 10, 2021, 07:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrispmartha

Was directed towards this

https://youtu.be/4RHA7oH2jMk

Basically an Andrew Lawrence rant about England players taking the knee in 'character'.

I don't get it, is it meant to be satire, if so, who's it satirising. Is it actually what AL thinks but disguised within a character?

To me it seems lime he's taken Stewart Lee's 'I don't want people to laugh just yo agree the fuck out of it' as some kind of advice on how to make 'comedy' to an extreme.

I don't get it, well I do, there seems to be a new wave of 'anti woke' comedy which if that's what you want - fine but at least try make it funny or creative, Im no fan of Jonathan Pie but at least its got some kind of creativity behind it.

SpiderChrist

Not giving that wanker any clicks.

Pink Gregory

I wonder what radicalised him

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: SpiderChrist on June 10, 2021, 07:24:54 AM
Not giving that wanker any clicks.
This. I'm mildly curious just how shitty and racist he is, but there's no way I'm watching it.

Oz Oz Alice

Jesus look at this cunt's eyes.

PlanktonSideburns

Similar energy in the MDE thread

Some things do seem to be labelled as comedy, then it's just someone getting really cross about something. Seems to me this is more common in new right wing stuff

jobotic

Not interested.

(sorry I know that's a bit of a rude response to a thread)

Egyptian Feast

His face makes me think of milk and really bothers me. Total danger.

sevendaughters

I'm not clicking either but I do have a low-key fascination with squeaky voiced professional victim Andrew Lawrence. Partly because one day I found out I was blocked by him on Twitter, which was unusual to me because I don't go around offending people on social media or even interacting with anyone remotely famous - he'd clearly seen my name somewhere and manually blocked me (I'm not on any blocklists either, I checked).

But mostly because he is, in a way, a pioneer of of the heading rightward in order to find a more fertile ground in which to grow a loyal audience (as opposed to becoming politically lazy because you're rich already). Obviously this has come at expense of any ambitions he had of being a good comedian in the vein of his heroes, so it has been interesting to me to see exactly what kind of pandering he will do next. These online "characters" (bias confirmations with a funny voice) have been going a while and they do great business with exactly the kind of person who will be front row for his next tour in Middle England art centres.

And yet other people have performed The Lawrence (named jointly for Andrew and Fox) much more successfully, and AL seems like such a bad fit amongst them. He's a professional contrarian and all of his work has been about outsider status - sexually, politically, personally - and I can't help but frame his move as a way of cementing an eternal link between himself and his muse. It's much easier than thinking he just became a massive twat.

Barry Admin

For the non-clickers, he's playing "Keith Cuntabout", which is what he imagines a working class person sounds like. Lairy cunt who loves "a drink, a bit of banter and a tear-up."

Mentions that noone thinks racism is good, but these days the only people who actually face prejudice are white working class males... Sorry, "blokes."

He really does say that, the thick, useless, pandering cunt.

Then he goes off on one about BLM being an "anarcho- Communist collective"  who are supposedly using anti-racism as a Trojan horse to defund the police and dismantle capitalism, and that's why everyone is booing - noone would do so if the kneeling was simply a stand against racism.

Finally he insists that inequality doesn't actually exist, because everyone dies, and that therefore makes us all equal. Not sure how that really fits in with the bit where he said that working class white blokes are experiencing discrimination and prejudice on a mass global scale.

I'll paste in some of the comments in a bit, so you can see the sort of scumbags he's desperate to sell tickets to.

chrispmartha

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 10, 2021, 10:38:17 AM
For the non-clickers, he's playing "Keith Cuntabout", which is what he imagines a working class person sounds like. Lairy cunt who loves "a drink, a bit of banter and a tear-up."

Mentions that noone thinks racism is good, but these days the only people who actually face prejudice are white working class males... Sorry, "blokes."

Then he goes off on one about BLM being an "anarcho- Communist collective"  who are supposedly using anti-racism as a Trojan horse to defund the police and dismantle capitalism, and that's why everyone is booing - noone would do so if the kneeling was simply a stand against racism.

Finally he insists that inequality doesn't actually exist, because everyone dies, and that therefore makes us all equal. Not sure how that really fits in with the bit where he said that working class white blokes are experiencing discrimination and prejudice on a mass global scale.

I'll paste in some of the comments in a bit, so you can see the sort of scumbags he's desperate to sell tickets to.

I only managed abut 30 seconds of it to be honest, it sounds worse than I thought.

I'm still baffled as to where the comedy or creativity is, Im also quite saddened but the amount of people think he's 'bang on' and 'telling it how it is'

Don't know why but this comment made me laugh

"My mouthful of tea just came out of my nose. How can anyone disagree with Keith?"

Barry Admin

Quote from: chrispmartha on June 10, 2021, 10:48:00 AM
I'm still baffled as to where the comedy or creativity is, Im also quite saddened but the amount of people think he's 'bang on' and 'telling it how it is'

I just came back and was gonna add this as an edit to the above:

I've watched this probably three or four times now, having to rewind some bits to make sure the above post accurately captured what he was saying, and I just had the sudden realisation that there isn't a single joke in there. M

Your OP is spot on, especially the Stewart Lee quote. I guess the "white working class bloke" bit might arguably have a joke-like construction, and is blatantly there so people are prompted to cheer and applaud.

peanutbutter

Lawrence had a pretty rough 2010s. Obviously didn't want to just be a fringe outsider type comic, the kind he could've been very good at but would've likely required a job to keep paying the bills on top of it, so he made some fairly awkward failed moves to be a mainstream. The problem is that he's just such an oddly spoken creepy presence that that failed hugely on any kind of artistic level and he didn't manage to establish himself enough to make it into a long term thing. Pivoting to being an anti-woke is a much better fit but I still get the impression he's incapable of keeping his instincts or disdain for his audience out of the way. Not gonna watch the video regardless though.

On the whole just a terrible fit for professional comedy. Don't get the impression he enjoys a minute of it, not that sure I ever did.

Steven88

I thought this squeaky cum stain was putting a voice on when he was in Ideal, I couldn't listen to him for 30 seconds never mind a full stand up set.

mippy

Remember reading him whining about how being a jobbing comic is hard, lots of driving to gigs and struggling to pay the mortgage, which only made me think that if youy successful enough as a stand up to not only obtain a mortgage but continue to pay it, you're doing better than many.

They repeated one of his pre-heelturn series on Radio 4 and I found his singing physically painful. And I say that as someone who really likes the Inflatable Clams

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 10, 2021, 10:38:17 AM

So fucking cowardly to adopt a character to say this in the voice of. And pointless too, since everyone can still see it's him saying it.

An tSaoi

I was trying to work out what's so odd about him. I think it's because he has red hair but brown eyes. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Edit: One of his characters is called "Johnny Smugface". Piss poor.

mippy

The character video thing seems to have taken off on Twitter, and it's mostly young posher comedians punching sideways if not down.

mippy

Quote from: An tSaoi on June 10, 2021, 01:50:11 PM
I was trying to work out what's so odd about him. I think it's because he has red hair but brown eyes. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Went to primary school with a girl who looked like that, but she was incredibly pretty. On the other hand, as far as I know, woke PC culture hasn't ruined her career.

chrispmartha

Quote from: mippy on June 10, 2021, 01:50:17 PM
The character video thing seems to have taken off on Twitter, and it's mostly young posher comedians punching sideways if not down.

I must admit I have found the Fergus Craig ones quite amusing.

Im not sure where Andrew Lawrence is punching to be honest, its such a mess of a 'performance'

An tSaoi

Quote from: mippy on June 10, 2021, 01:51:20 PM
Went to primary school with a girl who looked like that, but she was incredibly pretty. On the other hand, as far as I know, woke PC culture hasn't ruined her career.

So that's two brown-eyed redheads. Are there any more?

By internet racist logic, I think having brown eyes makes him non-white.

thenoise

Very odd. Keith Cuntabout isn't even a good comedy name, like something from one of those terrible Viz clones.

phantom_power

Quote from: mippy on June 10, 2021, 01:16:16 PM
Remember reading him whining about how being a jobbing comic is hard, lots of driving to gigs and struggling to pay the mortgage, which only made me think that if youy successful enough as a stand up to not only obtain a mortgage but continue to pay it, you're doing better than many.

They repeated one of his pre-heelturn series on Radio 4 and I found his singing physically painful. And I say that as someone who really likes the Inflatable Clams

It's funny because probably around the time Lawrence was "struggling" Stewart Lee decided that going for mass popularity wasn't going to work but if he could be loved by 5000 people rather than liked by 5000000 then he had a pretty good model for financial stability. It seems that Lawrence has learned all the wrong lessons from that

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: thenoise on June 10, 2021, 02:05:30 PM
Very odd. Keith Cuntabout isn't even a good comedy name, like something from one of those terrible Viz clones.

It's worse than that, it's like something from HS Art

Mr Banlon

Quote from: An tSaoi on June 10, 2021, 01:55:34 PM
So that's two brown-eyed redheads. Are there any more?

By internet racist logic, I think having brown eyes makes him non-white.
I used to work with a horrible racist cunt who said people with brown eyes had 'black blood'. I found out he died of skin cancer a few years ago. His precious white skin killed him.

Gurke and Hare

What colour are readheads' eyes normally? I pretty much never notice people's eye colour, it always surprises me when people are described in terms of it.

Leej88

Molly Ringwald has brown eyes and red hair.

Mr Banlon

Most of the redheads I've known have had light brown eyes.