Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:05:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Reading music from external hard drive on windows 11

Started by mattyc, November 05, 2023, 05:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattyc

Earlier this year I bought a brand new computer that has Windows 11. I've got along with it really well, a huge upgrade on my creaking old computer.

So when I'm working at my computer I like to listen to music. I use the (no doubt very stone-age) method of listening to mp3s of my CDs that are stored on an external hard drive. On the old PC I used to be able to right click on the album file, read it with WMP, no worries. However, since I got the new computer it doesn't seem to work like that anymore. The only way I can read an album is to open the album file, right click on a single track, go back to the screen with the album file, repeat that process again and only then can I right click on the album to get WMP to read the whole thing. This convoluted process is really getting on my tits.

I'm generally able to troubleshoot fairly well, but this has got me right stumped. I don't want to transfer a load of music onto the hard drive of my PC because of space issues; I'd much rather just keep it on my hard drive with a simpler way to read it. I've tried both WMP legacy version and the new media player, but nothing doing. I'd be fine with using a different (free) media player if it simplifies things.

People on here have been really helpful with a couple of other issues I've had, so I was just wondering if anyone has any idea what's going on here and how I can solve this issue.

seepage

I assume you mean 'album folder' instead of 'album file'. Does the external hard drive have a drive letter i.e. it is connected via USB and not a network drive? If so then it's still local storage and shouldn't behave differently to an internal drive. If it is a network drive you can map a drive letter to the folder containing the album folders.

With VLC media player installed, I can right-click on a folder in Windows Explorer and select 'Play with VLC media player' and that plays all the MP3 files in the folder one after another.

mattyc

Yes, I did mean album folder! The hard drive is connected via USB.

I will VLC a try, although on my previous computer I had trouble with it buffering (I think, or at least getting stuck) when reading MP3s, which is why I went back to WMP. Thanks for the reply!

mattyc

VLC does seem to provide an easier way to play my music! Thanks again!

Sebastian Cobb

VLC is fine but I'd recommend Foobar2000 if it's just music you're playing and browsing by directories.

jamiefairlie

I still use the old version of Winamp, still works great and is fast. I do what you're describing and it works fine.

touchingcloth

The Arusha Accord
Bennet
Blueboy
Chapterhouse
Does It Offend You, Yeah?
Exit Ten
Friction Groove
A Genuine Freakshow
The Heart Throbs
Malefice
Morning Runner
Only The Poets
Pete and the Pirates
Pure Reason Revolution
Slowdive
Sundara Karma
Sylosis
Ulrika Spacek
Zoot Woman

I hope that helps. DM if I can provide any more information.