Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:42:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Adblocker

Started by monkfromhavana, March 04, 2024, 12:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkfromhavana

So currently use Adblocker Ultimate on Firefox, but it appears to have now stopped working (especially on Youtube). I have tried deleting and re-installing it etc but nothing.

Is it one of those things where I need to wait a few weeks, re-install then and it will work again, or can anyone recommend a free one that's working OK now?

Taaaaaaaa

Endicott

Barry Admin

Bunty Levert

uBlock Origin, accept no substitutes.

Sebastian Cobb

Ublock origin + sponsorblock for youtube.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I have uBlock, Adblock Plus and NoScript installed on Firefox. NoScript is a right pain though - requiring a tedious trial and error process to enable the necessary scripts to make every website work. Would I be fine getting rid of it?

Jim_MacLaine

It's an ongoing cat and mouse game between youtube and the adblockers.

If I ever get the 'unable to play video' page I just open the youtube link in Incognito.

Saying that I haven't had to do it in a couple of months and I use Adblock Plus.

Funcrusher

I had the same experience as many others a month or so ago where suddenly YouTube slowed to a crawl on my laptop, pages would take minutes to load. Googling revealed that YouTube was doing this to anyone using an adblocker, and sure enough turning off Adblock Plus solved the issue, except now I have ads. Looking at the UBlock Origin Reddit, YouTube is changing up things daily to continually foil UBlock as well, so I'm just putting up with ads at the moment.

monkfromhavana

Thanks all, just added U Block and Sponsor BLock so will see what happens.

Tombola

I currently use Brave browser exclusively for YouTube, seems solid.

Bunty Levert

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 04, 2024, 01:31:09 PMI have uBlock, Adblock Plus and NoScript installed on Firefox. NoScript is a right pain though - requiring a tedious trial and error process to enable the necessary scripts to make every website work. Would I be fine getting rid of it?
Yes, NoScript is for paranoid American individualist libertarian types who are afraid of JavaScript and will cut you if you say ChatGPT isn't their real and genuine friend (Lynn, these are Hacker News people!)

You only need the one ad blocker. Adblock Plus charges advertisers money to allow their ads through as "acceptable ads", which uBlock Origin is likely blocking for you.