Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:16:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bugger, I've got the 'vid

Started by Mister Six, November 10, 2022, 01:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

After three years of dodging the bullet like a jammy bastard, I tested positive today. Had a rough cold a week and a half back, but tested negative on two PCRs and two RATs for that. Enjoyed a couple of days of not feeling like shit, got a flu jab and that night felt my throat swell up.

Obviously the flu jab was just a coincidence, but I'm three days in to being symptomatic and starting to feel a bit naff. Sore throat has been consistent, but today I've also feeling very slightly floaty and tired from time to time.

What to expect from here on out? Just coasting along, or full on viral fuckdown?

Got my last booster, I dunno, probably spring. Maybe earlier.

Glebe

Aw no  get well soon Monsieur Six.

Ferris

I had my 2nd shot July 1, 2021 and got covid in late December same year so I was about as unprotected as you can get.

I'm fairly young and in decent shape (not that that guarantees anything) and I felt pretty awful for about 4 days. It doesn't help that my son gave me some kind of flu the week prior so I had a bit of a one-two and (this is cliched) but the unidentified flu thing was quite a bit worse.

From memory, I was exposed on the 16th, peaked 19th and 20th of December (I'd describe it as a bad cough but other than that mild flu type symptoms). Largely recovered by the day after, except knackered for a week and sleeping 14+ hours a day in isolation (though I have a small child so fuck knows if that was just built up sleep shortfall).

Back to 100% by the new year. It should be noted I wrote a 5,000 word research paper at the "height" of my covid fever delirium and managed an 87% so either I wasn't that bad or the madness helps on governmental research documents. Hard to say.

Tl;dr if you've been bad for a day or two, you're very likely on the upswing and about to feel much better much faster. You'll be tired for longer than you expect but by December you will probably be 100%

Mister Six

Blue Jam

When I got the 'vid it was after dodging it for two and a half years. Was fairly mild, the fatigue of long Covid was much harder to deal with and drove me to the desperation of paying £120 for Tollovid (which werked). The flu I had a few weeks back (just after getting my flu jab nrggghh) had far worse symptoms than the 'vid, still getting over it now.

Get well soon M6, and if it hangs about get on the Tollovid x

bgmnts

Unsure if my yearlong lingering cough is related to the vid as I didn't get a positive test either but if it was, I know how you feel it's shite. For two days and nights I was coughing so hard my ribs actually hurt. I've still had a lingering, retching dry cough since which has made life borderline unlivable in reality. I hope in your case this isn't so.

Get well soon!

Argh, sorry to hear that, get well soon.
My own experience was about 7 days of being absolutely wiped out, mostly needing to sleep and then about a month of being just sub-optimal but not that bad, running at 75 per cent sort of thing.

Mister Six

Thanks, all. I'm on day five now, and I don't want to jinx anything but the sore throat is fading and other than a slight tiredness I feel all right. Definitely going to keep up to date with the boosters after this though.

Given that it kicked in after I had the flu shot, I wonder whether my immune system, already shaken by the cold, might have held it off but ended up overwhelmed. Oh well, no way to know now I guess.

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 10, 2022, 04:41:46 PMGet well soon M6, and if it hangs about get on the Tollovid x

Ooh, ooh, I'd not heard of this! I'll definitely bear it in mind, so thanks for that. Hoping I'll just bounce back though. But it's good to have a plan if that's not practical.

Crenners

I've had it like five fucking times.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Mister Six on November 11, 2022, 04:10:01 PMGiven that it kicked in after I had the flu shot, I wonder whether my immune system, already shaken by the cold, might have held it off but ended up overwhelmed. Oh well, no way to know now I guess.

When I got flu it came a week after I'd had my flu jab, my second Covid booster, and my third Hepatitis B jab of a course I'm having for werk (my job involves handling human tissue). Three jabs in one week was probably less than ideal but what can you do? Anyway, I know a few people who got ill after having their flu/Covid winter jabs and while it's all anecdotal there does seem to be a connection between the immune system taking a battering and getting ill afterwards.

That said, taking a battering from a vaccine or three is still preferable to taking a full-on potentially lethal battering from a virus so I consider myself very lucky I got my flu jab when I did. I shudder to think how bad it would have been if I hadn't had my flu jab.

Mister Six

Absolutely. All of this has given me a real appreciation for the importance of getting vaccines (especially now I'm in my forties).

Quote from: Crenners on November 11, 2022, 05:59:49 PMI've had it like five fucking times.

Christ. Does it get less severe each time?

Crenners

Yeah, definitely, but I've also had three jabs. Tested positive four times, real talk. Most recent occurrence barely registered, felt tired but otherwise better after 24h.

Mister Six

Cheers, @Crenners. I feel much improved today, to the point that I'll probably go back to work tomorrow. :(

Crenners

Quote from: Mister Six on November 13, 2022, 12:26:14 PMCheers, @Crenners. I feel much improved today, to the point that I'll probably go back to work tomorrow. :(

Good shit, I'd get another day or two from it because - seriously - it can whack you with the tiredness once you start again. Pace yourself.

Mister Six

Cheers, that's the excuse I needed!

greencalx

I also lost my nearly three year clean streak last week. Luckily the symptoms were not too bad - I've had worse colds, and shook the worst of it off in 24 hrs. Actually it was helpful to clear some face-to-face work out of my diary to meet some looming deadlines.

Here's keeping my fingers crossed there's no long covid nastiness to come, but right now I feel better than I've done for a long time!

frajer

Like a lot of people here, after 3 years of no Covid, I finally caught a dose about a month ago.

48 hours of awful sweating, fever and chills where I was just a pulsing ball of pain. Followed by 2 weeks of fatigue where I couldn't walk outside or even muster the energy to do the dishes, and not just because I'm a lazy bastard.

Now I seem to be through the worst of it, but over the past week-and-a-half I've had really bad gut aches and searing stomach cramps that none of the usual tricks take the edge off. Tried Gaviscon, those peppermint pills and various herbal teas but nothing has made an impact so far.

Apologies if I've already missed this being mentioned, but has anyone here had intestinal issues after Covid? Any tips and tricks that helped you out? Combined with general fatigue it's making me feel like absolute shit and keeping me from getting proper sleep.

Thanks all. Plus a wider thank you for keeping me sane while I was laid up!

Ferris

It's mad that it still gives you a thorough drubbing even after vaccines. Makes me glad we properly locked down for the first few waves because if we all got it without being vaccinated... brrr

phes

I finally got the vid this week after the whole time working in healthcare. Frustratingly i had my booster booked for tomorrow. Every fiber in my body hurts like fuck including my balls. It is nasty. On the plus side, I already had flu two weeks back and had been testing -ive for the last couple of days so was starting to fret it was something worse.

Glebe

gilbertharding

I'd never had it either (unless the weird cold I had in early March 2020 was it) and now I have.

Happily it was only a few days feeling a bit too miserable to get out of bed, followed by a week (so far) of feeling slightly throaty and snotty but otherwise OK.

Four jabs (last one in mid October) and a week after getting my flu jab... I got it from my wife - after nearly a week of thinking I was immune somehow.

Incidentally, my wife had to ring the quack to get a sick note for work, and he told her he'd personally probably not bother getting any more boosters until they change the formula to suit any new variants, as in his opinion any illness prevented probably wouldn't be severe enough to merit the side effects.

Mister Six

I dunno, I'd have taken a night of poor sleep and achy bones over a week of feeling like shit and a still-persisting raspy cough.

lauraxsynthesis

I've still never had it as far as I know but today have my first cold since this all started. Been lax with the mask rip 😷

I do worry that the testing kit isn't fit for purpose. It's got about 1/4 the solution as previous kits.

falafel

Quote from: gilbertharding on December 09, 2022, 01:03:16 PMIncidentally, my wife had to ring the quack to get a sick note for work, and he told her he'd personally probably not bother getting any more boosters until they change the formula to suit any new variants, as in his opinion any illness prevented probably wouldn't be severe enough to merit the side effects.

That's some poor advice!

TrenterPercenter

Mum, Sister and Dad all have had mega colds for the last few weeks.  Old man is high risk due to his non-existence kidneys and was taken into hospital last night due to complications where they did a lab test and he came back positive for covid.  All of them have been doing LFTs and all negative.  The old man is a fine for the moment thankfully, his complications where a infection in his bladder which they have put him on a course of antibiotics for but I'd say keep vigilant at the moment.

I think I'm likely coming down with something now aswell have got the achy bones and tickley throat thing.

Glebe

Best wishes to your Dad in particular TP.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Glebe on December 29, 2022, 09:53:09 PMBest wishes to your Dad in particular TP.

Cheers Glebe he is doing ok CT scan showed his bladder was inflamed from infection so hopefully the antibiotics will sort this out, he's home now atleast.  As suspected I've got something though now (probably same thing) was coughing until 6am this morning and it's walloped me good and proper.  fingers crossed it doesn't last too long.

TrenterPercenter

Yep tested positive for the vid today.  Have been in a pretty bad way last couple of days, all seems a bit of a blur really.  Intense respiratory problems initially coughing loads and nose bunged up, then this abated but whole body became weak and really achey (as someone said upthread even the balls) I've been barely able to get out of bed and get down my stairs, borderline hallucinations dipping in and out of sleep.   This morning I really felt like I was dying then passed out and woke up in a massive sweat and suddenly feeling a bit better.

This variant is proper nasty - stay vigilant.

Glebe

TrenterPercenter

Thanks again Glebe, think I'm on the up now.  I'm in pretty good shape overall but this absolutely bollocksed me and I'm still a bit shaky - this is going to be quite serious for some people.