Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:44:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Morbius (Sony/Marvel vampire movie)

Started by Mister Six, January 13, 2020, 07:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Teaser trailer is out. Pretty much gets across the plot while only teasing Matt Smith's character (possible villain, looks like).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLMBLuGJTsA

This is supposed to be set in the "Sonyverse" pocket shared by Venom, with Spider-Man bridging it over to the MCU proper. Which might explain the cheeky use of the Raime spider-suit on that poster. But does that "murderer" graffiti reference Far From Home? And what's Michael Keaton, aka Vulture, doing there?

Anyway, Jared Leto's in it, which is going to be a stumbling block, but I'll probably watch it for Smith, who's getting his own hashtag on the video, so presumably has a pretty meaty role. Venom was a mess, but enjoyable in places; I imagine this will be the same, at best.

phantom_power

Can't get past Leto Leto-ing all over the place. Venom was a mess but Tom Hardy is so watchable. Leto is exhausting to watch. He is always fucking acting so much

touchingcloth

Was momentarily confused by the SONY in the title, but then I googled and realised they are just the distributor. Stand down, stand down.

FAKE EDIT: I've just googled some more and seen that even for the proper Marvel films Disney is also only the distributor rather than the company what produced it. What's all that about, then? Why do people talk about Disney as if they made the film rather than just distributed it?

FAKE EDIT II: Just googled the Star War sequel films, and Disney is the distributor and Lucas Film the producer. THE fuck? Who actually did the making of the film? I feel like my world has been upended.

Mister Six

Marvel and Lucasfilm are subsidiaries of (ie. owned by) Disney, just like Pixar. They're given creative autonomy under their various heads (Kevin Feige being the Marvel head) but obviously they answer to the House of Mouse in the final summation, and so are at the mercy of Mickey should their films stop making enough money.

Things get complicated with the Spider-Man related films, of which this is one, along with Venom.

Marvel doesn't have the rights to Spider-Man and related characters; they were bought up by Sony years back, before Marvel Studios existed. Sony made all of the pre-Tom Holland Spidey flicks solo. Same deal with Fox and the X-Men/Fantastic Four films (at least, until Disney bought them too).

Things changed after Sony - being shit at their jobs - bungled the Andrew Garfield franchise. In desperation they created a deal with Marvel Studios that had Marvel making the Tom Holland Spidey flicks and Sony distributing. That's why Spidey is able to interact with Iron Man et al, and appear in Marvel movies such as Infinity War.

Sony then decided to make films based on the other Spider-Man characters they own - Venom and now Morbius. These films are (IIRC) produced by Sony alone, without Marvel's involvement, which is why Venom was so shonky.

Feige has said that these films are not part of the MCU. But obviously Sony head Amy Pascal has her own ideas, and presumably Michael Keaton there is playing the Vulture, his villain from Spider-Man: Homecoming. I'm not sure quite what the situation is with everything legally, but I'm guessing Marvel don't really have any say over what Sony does with their Spider-characters, so Sony can build its version of classic villain team the Sinister Six and do a movie with them vs Spider-Man (as indeed was the plan in the Garfield days) and there's nothing much Marvel can do.

phantom_power

Yeah that "from the studio that brought you Spiderman: Homecoming" at the beginning seemed a bit disingenuous

mjwilson

Quote from: phantom_power on January 14, 2020, 06:30:49 AM
Yeah that "from the studio that brought you Spiderman: Homecoming" at the beginning seemed a bit disingenuous

Anyone who takes any notice of "from the studio that brought you" deserves to be conned.

SteveDave

Jared, you've done it again!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/morbius

He's so awful in everything. EVERYTHING!

Glebe

Yeah wasn't expecting this to be much cop anyway but it really sounds like an absolute stinker.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: SteveDave on March 31, 2022, 03:56:56 PMJared, you've done it again!

Apart from one of my all time favourite films, Mr Nobody, but no one will watch it now as he's the lead.

Glebe

Advice for Jared Leto: NEVER DO ANOTHER COMIC BOOK MOVIE EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER AGAIN.

non capisco

Glebe

Glebe

phantom_power

Only if it means he is retiring from acting

Glebe

Next role: Wanking Policeman biopic.

Memorex MP3

Quote from: Mister Six on January 14, 2020, 02:39:37 AMFeige has said that these films are not part of the MCU.
At this stage isn't that just meaningless? They'll be part of the MCU if they're successful enough and there's more
money for everyone in making them so. Obviously this one won't be now.

This is one of those films where the cast looks weirdly lacking in the way fake movies in movies often look?
Guy that is more a meme than an A-lister at this stage
Guy who played Dr Who 10 years ago
Comic relief guy from Fast and Furious trying to look serious
A woman I've never seen before
Some older English guy, maybe Simon Pegg with some makeup?

Glebe

Sony are unlikely to give up Spidey any time soon but I mean fuck's sake... first Venom was a passable guilty pleasure, second one was shite and this has already been deemed a massive disaster all round.

Magnum Valentino

Know what was class was the 90s cartoon version of Morbius who identified as a Fumpire and sucked blue laser blood out of people with suckers he had in his palms.

Mister Six

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on March 31, 2022, 07:15:44 PMAt this stage isn't that just meaningless?

No, it's even more relevant/certain since No Way Home, which specifically showed that Venom was from a parallel universe, and not the Tom Holland one.

Obviously they can get around that with another multiverse-hopping adventure or having Dr Strange collapse the Venom universe into the MCU proper (as it looks like he'll probably do with the X-Men), but for now the shit happening in Venom's San Francisco is expressly not happening in Tom Holland's San Francisco.

Anyway, not arsed about this. My love for Matt Smith isn't enough to overcome my distaste for Jared Leto and my general disinterest in the character. There's just too much superhero shit out there now, I've even given up on the MCU films, although there are a couple I'll probably check out since I like the characters.

Glebe

Quote from: Mister Six on March 31, 2022, 07:54:27 PMNo, it's even more relevant/certain since No Way Home, which specifically showed that Venom was from a parallel universe, and not the Tom Holland one.

Obviously they can get around that with another multiverse-hopping adventure or having Dr Strange collapse the Venom universe into the MCU proper (as it looks like he'll probably do with the X-Men), but for now the shit happening in Venom's San Francisco is expressly not happening in Tom Holland's San Francisco.

Spoiler alert
Of course Going by the NWH post-credit scene it looks like Venom has entered the Holland Spidey-verse. And it looks like Vulture is this. Fuck knows what they'll do next, it's getting very messy.
[close]

Memorex MP3

Quote from: Mister Six on March 31, 2022, 07:54:27 PMNo, it's even more relevant/certain since No Way Home, which specifically showed that Venom was from a parallel universe, and not the Tom Holland one.

This is what I meant, for me "MCU" isn't tied to a fictional literal universe, it's just all the Marvel stuff that is connected together. I guess that's always been a misread of what was actually meant though.

non capisco

Quote from: Glebe on March 31, 2022, 08:06:11 PM
Spoiler alert
Of course Going by the NWH post-credit scene it looks like Venom has entered the Holland Spidey-verse. And it looks like Vulture is this. Fuck knows what they'll do next, it's getting very messy.
[close]

Spoiler alert
If I'm remembering correctly Venom/Tom Hardy enter the Holland/MCU universe in the post-credits scene of the second Venom film then spend the entirety of No Way Home's events on the piss at some beach bar, returning to their own universe at the end of that, the gag I suppose being they did nothing of consequence. Is that right oh i don't know these films go through me like a can of coke
[close]

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: SteveDave on March 31, 2022, 03:56:56 PMJared, you've done it again!

Fuck it was 19% this afternoon, it's now 16%. The first Venom which is utterly mediocre (but probably better than this) is at 30%.

I guess a lot of Hollywood types really loved My So Called Life (but critics didn't) .

Glebe

Quote from: non capisco on March 31, 2022, 08:29:11 PM
Spoiler alert
If I'm remembering correctly Venom/Tom Hardy enter the Holland/MCU universe in the post-credits scene of the second Venom film then spend the entirety of No Way Home's events on the piss at some beach bar, returning to their own universe at the end of that, the gag I suppose being they did nothing of consequence. Is that right oh i don't know these films go through me like a can of coke
[close]

Spoiler alert
A blob of Venom drops on the bar before they're sucked back to their own universe.
[close]

non capisco

Oh fucks sake of course it did. Forgot about that!

I did chuck one of my weekly Curzon Cult credits on Morbius next week but those reviews, oh mama. Maybe not, eh? It's technically not like I've paid for it I suppose.

beanheadmcginty

Ever since watching Affleck's Daredevil at the cinema and having a whale of a time with my mates laughing at how shit it was, I've never got more excited about a superhero film than when all the hype suggests it is going to be an absolute stinker. Really looking forward to this now.

Glebe

Quote from: non capisco on March 31, 2022, 08:35:03 PMI did chuck one of my weekly Curzon Cult credits on Morbius next week but those reviews, oh mama. Maybe not, eh? It's technically not like I've paid for it I suppose.

I've got a fiver left on my Cineworld card. But it ain't going on this now!

JamesTC

Bit daft to release a Sonic spin-off film on the same day as the sequel.

Mister Six

Quote from: Glebe on March 31, 2022, 08:06:11 PM
Spoiler alert
[close]

Spoiler alert
Well, a blob of Venom - that can presumably be handwaved in future Spidey movies as "an alien that was discovered in Mexico", assuming it has its own personality. No need for it to have Tom Hardy's voice and go on about the events of the Venom films, although the MCU is going far up its own arse enough that they might do that anyway.

And presumably there are a couple of Michael Keaton Vultures out there, same way as there are a couple of JK Simmons JJ Jamesons.
[close]

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on March 31, 2022, 08:07:34 PMThis is what I meant, for me "MCU" isn't tied to a fictional literal universe, it's just all the Marvel stuff that is connected together. I guess that's always been a misread of what was actually meant though.

MCU, or Marvel Cinematic Universe, has always meant "stuff within the Iron Man universe", so excluding the other Marvel films made by Sony, Fox etc (ie. X-Men, Fantastic 4 etc), the pre-MCU Hulk, Blade and so on.

No Way Home blurred it a little bit, but it's still clear that Tom Hardy's Venom (and the other two Sony Spider-Men) live in their own universes separate from the MCU.