Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,206
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:27:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Boutique Blu-Ray Releases

Started by Chedney Honks, January 18, 2021, 09:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenman

Quote from: Chedney Honks on September 26, 2021, 11:37:54 AM
Cheers. I picked up Sansho a little while back with not quite as generous an offer, but got Ugetsu, Tree of Life and Monterey Pop in the Amazon Crito sale recently for £18/£22. Will check HMV and see if they have any different titles.

Its a few of the slipcase releases are a bit reduced and some of the multi film ones like the Apu trilogy and the Demy box.

Chedney Honks

Cheers, same as the Amazon sale in which case. Still, some good discounts on some great releases.

Ron Superior

Very small catalogue but very worth your time. Anti-Worlds have put out great films like Jumbo, Patrick and Infinit Futbol.

They have a flash sale on their Blu Ray catalogue. Packed with extras, booklets, all limited edition and I think all region free, decent prices. Definitely worth checking out.

https://anti-worldsreleasing.co.uk/

Sebastian Cobb

Not that boutique but I backed the kickstarter for this and forgot all about it so was pleasantly surprised opening a mystery parcel this morning.

Crenners

Looks like a great release. I think I saw the KS, maybe on the Blu-ray forum.

I just got the Gamera LE release on Arrow. Gigantic box so I'm fucked whereas I'll put it but an absolutely brilliant book with it and a fuck off annual sized set of the Gamera comics.

Never gonna read em.

Neeeever gonna read em.

Heisei steelbook for comparison. It truly is is a 'Super Monster' and 'friend of all children' unless it 'falls on their head'.

Sebastian Cobb

I've had some of the earlier Hal releases and they're great transfers but come with disclaimers like 'I made this with out of date 16mm we had lying in my works fridge so it might not look great in high definition' but it does look great because it's a good scan that picks up the grain and greening very well and gets out the way.

Magnum Valentino

Anyone seen any good Black Friday discounts on this kind of thing?

phantom_power

Arrow have a Black Friday sale and have some great films

Crenners

Quote from: phantom_power on November 25, 2022, 12:01:56 PMArrow have a Black Friday sale and have some great films

All I would say is Amazon got the same stuff but cheaper in most cases.

I know I know but if you get it through CaB affiliate links, it balances out the evil.

101 Films have knocked all their Black Label range down to a tenner each

https://101-films-store.com/collections/sale

holyzombiejesus

Anything decent out recently or imminently?

Magnum Valentino

Second Sight is putting out George Romero's Martin next month on 4K in one of those night fat boxes with booklets and gubbins like that. I remember following the thread about its impending Arrow release about ten years ago which they eventually gave up on so this is nice to see.

They're trying to get The Hitcher released this summer as well I think.

phantom_power

Ooh that's interesting. The Hitcher has been tied up with rights issues for years I think so it would be good to see it again

greenman

Theres actually even been a good bit of drama around the Second Sight release as someone was selling a print of the longer cut of the film in monochrome recently and they tried to get hold of that as well but were out bid, otherwise I think this UHD may have come out awhile ago.

They are now putting out the standard versions of UHD's on release day as well so you don't need to pay the premium for the box although this one does seem decent value as it has a soundtrack CD in it as well.

Goldentony

glad a few UK labels are partnering with Vinegar Syndrome and co, was amazed to see Wicked World and Smut Without Smut in HMV the other day which really hammered home how absolutely worthless it is searching for and collecting this stuff. Swerve the Arrow section because i've got a trial for the player and went with Iceman Cometh from 88. No interest in anything else. Imagined a life where I was down 15 quid but up a copy of Deathsport. Couldn't do it. Made the right choice since there's a load of nice bollocks with Iceman Cometh like posters in mad shapes you can't get a frame for.

Glebe

Not a boutique release or owt, but I came across a Blu-ray of the BBC adaptation of Gormanghast today. Didn't know it had gotten a HD release.

another Mr. Lizard

Full Circle aka The Haunting of Julia has been announced today as the latest title in the BFI Flipside range. Marvellous, rarely-seen supernatural 70s film by Richard Loncraine, based on Peter Straub's novel, and with an excellent Colin Towns score.

Should be receiving my copy of Indicator's latest in the next day or two - Magic, Myth & Mutilation, their ten-disc restoration of the complete available work of no-budget under-the-radar Portsmouth filmmaker Michael J Murphy. I was lucky to be asked to contribute a few bits and pieces to the set, and am looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.

holyzombiejesus

The pre-order price on Full Circle is a bit pricey.

another Mr. Lizard

It's Flipside's first UHD release so they've seemingly taken the opportunity to double the price, and shifted from their 'Blu-ray/DVD' model to a 'UHD/Blu-ray' combo, which presumably will be the case (and cost) for future releases too. No Blu-ray only option yet (though they have released budget versions of some of the range in the past, some considerable time after the first edition)

greenman

Anyone interested in a freebee?

The Curzon UHD release of Wenders Wings of Desire had a slight fault that the only subtitles included being audio description(still has all the dialog translated as well) so they sent me a replacement disk, normally give stuff to friends/family but nobody else has a UHD player for this.

Would just be the disk in a simple clear plastic case but besides the small subtitle issues its an excellent release, much better than the old Axiom bluray(which is the same as the Criterion).

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=17953&d2=17952&c=6597

I'll pay the postage but UK only due to that.

Roxy Robinson

Arrow just announced their September releases, some stellar stuff on 4K.

Blood and Black Lace
Ringu
Carlito's Way
Psycho Collection (1-4)

Existing Carlito 4K release is already a beauty so if it's the same transfer and encoding, I probably shouldn't but I do love the new artwork:

Black Lace, wow. The colours on the previous Arrow BD are fantastic but I can't wait to see what it looks like in HDR.

I'll prob wait for standard edition of Ring but I'm looking forward to it. Not sure how much that late 90s muted cinematography will benefit from the upgrade but Arrow seldom falter. I rewatched last year and I found it less scary, more haunting, tender and melancholic.

greenman

Blood and Black Lace I'v still not seen so many well pick that up.

phantom_power

Arrow really is the shit, and they do a great podcast as well

dontpaintyourteeth

Being poor has taken me out of the Arrow collecting game, don't have many left now, but they are excellent

Roxy Robinson

Quote from: greenman on July 01, 2023, 07:43:39 PMBlood and Black Lace I'v still not seen so many well pick that up.

The violence is fairly tame compared to where gialli went later but it's visually still special and got a wonderful vibe. Top pick from the month's releases for me.

Sebastian Cobb

Luv Arrow and Vinegar Syndrome.

greenman

That UHD copy of Wings of Desire is still around somewhere if anyone wants it, all thats wrong with it is the subs are also descriptive.

Goldentony

IDGAF about 4K rereleases but I guess there's literally fuck all of note for them left to put out now other than upgrades.

Incredibly annoyed that Dungeonmaster is in a box set with a load of shit I dont care about and priced at 60 quid. I don't need lobby cards for DOLLS lads, please. Just release it on it's own.

Magnum Valentino

Sometimes a 4K release will mean new work that's then released on 1080p as well, like when Apocalypse Now Final Cut came out.